Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,487,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Who in there right mind say Roseland is safe? They don't call that the wild 100s for nothing.
People have maybe not exactly said safe, but they still have sugarcoated things a wee bit would you not agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Most of Morgan Park is great. Some of Roseland is decent. I grew up in the nicer part. I loved it and sometimes miss living there. I was around middle class older people and sometimes their children or grandchildren. Very quiet at night, and I found myself welcomed with neighbors who I could identify with.

I'm not sure on Bridgeport, too afraid to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronilla View Post
Manigault,
I applaud you As a native of Ashburn descended from FOUR generations of Englewood born anscestors, at least SOMEONE on this board is not scared of an entire segment of the city..I worked in Roseland, Chatham, and Englewood every day for the past few years and although there are always bad apples everywhere, the vast majority of people there are not stalking the streets looking for a kill, but are mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc. just doing the day to day and making a living like EVERYONE ELSE.
Thanks for having an open mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppie eradicator View Post
I lived in Roseland too and I don't appreciate peoples sterotypes about it. It can be a bit rough but the sun still shines there too. There are more hard working law abiding citizens there than gangbangers. The gangbangers just have everyone living in fear.

Drover calling west pull man a crummy neighborhood shows a lot about him.. To blantly disrespect all the people in the neighborhhod shows a lot about u. People that live in the hood would move out if they had the money to. We just need equal oppurtunities. Is west pull man bad yes is roseland far worse yes but don't catalog all the people there as criminals u don't know their circumstances. Drover stay on the north side we don't want shallow people like u on the south side judging us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,159,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
that s*** was crazy damn. that's the "wild ones" for u (altho not all of it is bad). This is horrible s*** right here. Even if the national gov. bans guns IMO people will just find any object they can think of to kill/hurt somebody (obviously).

tru but....

this is true as well. I'd add woodlawn to this list too
I have a couple of cousins that use to live in Cabrini for a brief moment back in its Little Hell days. I heard stories how they were forced into the Gangster Disciple gang and had no choice to move out later on.

Chicago mayor and every other politician underestimate the gang intelligence here. Chicago has strict gun laws, yet the city might as well be the public grade school homicide capital of America. 90% of the time when I go to a Chicago news website, another teen got shot or killed. They kind of figured that out how flexible gangs are here when they had to investigate a Mississippi gun store I think last year where GDs and other organize black gangs get there guns from. Indiana is another one I believe

Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,221,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So let's see: you think it's funny when someone gets crushed between two cars. When a pregnant woman gets murdered, you dismiss it as being part of the "circle of life." So don't expect us to believe you suddenly gained a sense of empathy and that you actually give a sh*t that some kid on the other side of town got beat to death
Nobody died.

And the second one, wellllllllll

it's the circle of life.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:50 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,069,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
everything I've read about the story states he was an honor roll student who wasn't a part of any gang and was either just walking home and got caught up in that mess or was trying to help another kid who had gotten tangled up in the mess also. just b/c he was killed by some punk gangbangers doesn't mean he was one of them.

I'm wondering why there isn't more outrage over the fact that kid got beaten to death on the streets at 3pm by a savage mob. I would have expected some public response from the police chief or mayor or something (oh, I forgot, mayor's in Denmark...)

One of the biggest outrages in the area is the fact that there was two police officers sitting there watching the incident while it happened, yet stayed in their cars, and did nothing to even try to prevent it.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 AM

What would they have done? Gone out with guns blazing?

The outrage should be is that all the adults in the community that did nothing to stop this altercation from happening.

Keep passing the buck.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,069,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What would they have done? Gone out with guns blazing?

The outrage should be is that all the adults in the community that did nothing to stop this altercation from happening.

Keep passing the buck.
All they would of had to of done was got out of their cars, and shot in the air, or even said something and the group would of scattered. The people involved in this altercation wasn't using guns, just fists and boards. I always thought the police are supposed to serve and protect. Not sit and watch.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,910,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
People have maybe not exactly said safe, but they still have sugarcoated things a wee bit would you not agree?
I will admit: I am wrong. I see now for myself what people are talking about.

It is so sad that this had to happen. I really hope for healing in Roseland. I really wish there was a way to do something about this senseless crime.

How sad...just sad. I feel so bad for his family.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM

233 posts, read 699,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbros View Post
Roseland used to be Italian
Actually it was multi ethnic and included the largest Dutch population in the Chicago area. There was a lot of Italians in the area but they were more concentrated in nearby Pullman than in Roseland. Natives of Roseland, West Pullman, and Pullman from generations ago are often both proud and nostalgic.

respublica: Roseland, it was a wonderful life

It's a tragedy what has happened to this neighborhood, and this particular event is way beyond sad. My sincerest condolences to this young man's family and friends.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,285,946 times
"There are some in the neighborhood that feel the cycle of violence can be broken. Several pastors from different churches gathered outside the school at 11220 S. Wallace St. before the day began to pray for an end to the violence."

That's part of the problem. Why do these fools get together to ****ing pray after something like this happens? Has it worked in the past? I think not.

Facing reality is the only path to a solution...not "praying."

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM

god helps those who help themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago