Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 13,752 times

Advertisements

There are a few guys on here who know their stuff (IrishTom, Near West Sider, etc..) but they are a handful. Most of the regular members, especially the prolific ones (multiple posts daily) know very little. Being that many of them are transplants, ex suburbanites, or current suburbanites, it's not really surprising that their knowledge would be limited. Living in Chicago for 5-6 years hardly qualifies one as an expert. Same goes for weekend warriors who come to Navy Pier from Dupage County on weekends. The other members who are native Chicagoans tend to be renters who are quick to give expert real estate advice on buying.
I've lived in Chicago for 40+ years and I still have much to learn about it's history or many of it's neighborhoods. There are plenty of places I have yet to explore.
I don't mean to diminish the contributions transplants have made to Chicago (increased tax revenue, sports bars, chain stores, and high fashion like khaki pants and backward baseball caps) I just don't think are the best ones to give advice on Chicago life. But then again, transplants and suburbanites are probably the most likely to come on here and ask for direction, so I guess it's kosher.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-29-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Vardin View Post
There are a few guys on here who know their stuff (IrishTom, Near West Sider, etc..) but they are a handful. Most of the regular members, especially the prolific ones know very little. Being that many of them are transplants, ex suburbanites, or current suburbanites, it's not really surprising that their knowledge would be limited. Living in Chicago for 5-6 years hardly qualifies one as an expert. Same goes for weekend warriors who come to Navy Pier from Dupage County on weekends. The other members who are native Chicagoans tend to be renters who are quick to give expert real estate advice on buying.
I've lived in Chicago for 40+ years and I still have much to learn about it's history or many of it's neighborhoods. There are plenty of places I have yet to explore.
I don't mean to diminish the contributions transplants have made to Chicago (increased tax revenue, sports bars, chain stores, and high fashion like khaki pants and backward baseball caps) It just don't think they are the best equipped to give advice on Chicago life. But then again, transplants and suburbanites are probably the most likely to come on here and ask for direction, so I guess it's kosher.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate language .
Haven't seen you give any advice...how long have you been coming to this site w/o being a member??

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-29-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
There are a few guys on here who know their stuff (IrishTom, Near West Sider, etc..) but they are a handful. Most of the regular members, especially the prolific ones (multiple posts daily) know very little. Being that many of them are transplants, ex suburbanites, or current suburbanites, it's not really surprising that their knowledge would be limited. Living in Chicago for 5-6 years hardly qualifies one as an expert. Same goes for weekend warriors who come to Navy Pier from Dupage County on weekends. The other members who are native Chicagoans tend to be renters who are quick to give expert real estate advice on buying.
I don't mean to diminish the contributions transplants have made to Chicago (increased tax revenue, sports bars, chain stores, and high fashion like khaki pants and backward baseball caps) I just don't think are the best ones to give advice on Chicago life. But then again, transplants and suburbanites are probably the most likely to come on here and ask for direction, so I guess it's kosher.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this. As nice as it is to be well acquainted with a city's history, I would think that if I went on a message board like this asking a question about a city I'm moving to, and want to find out which neighborhood is right for me, or about rents/home prices, or transportation/commuting issues, crime/safety issues, or whatever, I'd prefer advice from someone well-versed and experienced in what is going on in that city today, as opposed to someone who can tell me all the ancient history of the place.

For example, let's say I was thinking of moving to Old Town, and was asking for advice about the neighborhood... housing, parking, how to get downtown (or wherever) from there, etc. I'm sure some native old-timer Chicagoans would love to tell me all about how the area was a hippie hangout 40 years ago, etc., etc., etc... interesting as that may be, how is that relevant to me now?

Or, if I'm thinking about buying a house in Austin on Chicago's West Side, and want to know how safe the area is, I'm sure some longtimers could tell me about what a lovely neighborhood it was in the 1950s, but how does that help me?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-29-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Why would being expert in Chicago and its history qualify you to post about some random neighborhood topic? I'm world expert on a total of about six blocks of Chicago's south side, never claimed more.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Cities, like people, change. The Chicago I know is as real and as relevant as the Chicago of decades past. More so, in fact, because this Chicago is the one Chicagoans are currently living in.

I know quite a bit about Chicago's history. However, the Chicago I just spoke of-- the real one, the one people are living in-- is the one people often enquire about on this messageboard.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
User's Guide: Searching the Encyclopedia of Chicago

This should answer most of the OPs questions.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The OP didn't have any actual questions.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
Quote:

Bravo. I hate how transplants are always the first ones to jump in on a Chicago disscussion and state things so matter-of-factly. Not just this forum, but anywhere.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-29-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm not really sure where you're going with this. As nice as it is to be well acquainted with a city's history, I would think that if I went on a message board like this asking a question about a city I'm moving to, and want to find out which neighborhood is right for me, or about rents/home prices, or transportation/commuting issues, crime/safety issues, or whatever, I'd prefer advice from someone well-versed and experienced in what is going on in that city today, as opposed to someone who can tell me all the ancient history of the place.

For example, let's say I was thinking of moving to Old Town, and was asking for advice about the neighborhood... housing, parking, how to get downtown (or wherever) from there, etc. I'm sure some native old-timer Chicagoans would love to tell me all about how the area was a hippie hangout 40 years ago, etc., etc., etc... interesting as that may be, how is that relevant to me now?

Or, if I'm thinking about buying a house in Austin on Chicago's West Side, and want to know how safe the area is, I'm sure some longtimers could tell me about what a lovely neighborhood it was in the 1950s, but how does that help me?
True. If one is asking a specific question (such as housing, parking, etc.), then yes going on about its history may not be relevant.

However history always has some influence on the present.

The presence of say a historic jazz club such as the Green Mill and a beautiful theater such as the Aragon makes the Uptown area partly make the Uptown area a place that has a certain charm to some people and the potential to get better. Likewise for places such as Hyde Park with University of Chicago. Even Bronzeville is getting better, and I'm sure its history has partly to do with that.

Old Town of the Gold Coast has more charming local establishments than say Streeterville because of their historic legacy. Streeterville/near East side was largely warehouses a few decades ago.

Historical legacy partially makes a place what it is today, and is inseperable with the present. So in some cases a bit of knowledge of an areas history may very well be important in people looking for a place to live.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
For someone who lives in Chicago, Jack_Varden doesn't seem to know much about the town where he lives. I gave him a resource. I think it is a reasonable response to Chicago history. Now he can learn. eh ???

Last edited by linicx; 09-29-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago