Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

The Euokels from Eureka are about to descend upon your fair city armed with our new FROMMER"S (thank you very much!). We'll be staying in at the Best Western Hawthorne something at 3434 Broadway. Only two questions: anyone have any comments about the Melrose Diner, which is apparently very close?. (We're diner, drive-ins and dives type folks but open to ay suggestions for good affordable food.). Second, where does Lakeview end and Uptown begin? It seems like addresses five blocks up are called Uptown. Sorry about the Olympics,by the way. I was really wishing for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
...Only two questions: anyone have any comments about the Melrose Diner, which is apparently very close?...

Second, where does Lakeview end and Uptown begin?...
Your hotel is about a block away from the Melrose. The Melrose is decent (can be greasy to very greasy :-) but more healthy options exist there) alcohol soaking up food. The prices are pretty reasonable. It is also good if you yearn for the experience of the disappearing American Diner. If you do not want to go there when it is busy I would go there before 10 pm.

Near the lake (east of Clark), the border between the Uptown and Lake View community areas is Irving Park (4000 N.)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-02-2009 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Small mistake. :-)

Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerfire View Post
melrose is decent (can be greasy) alcohol soaking up food. It is also good if you yearn for the experience of the disappearing american diner. If you do not want to go there when it is busy i would go there before 10 pm.

Near the lake, the border between uptown and lake view is irving park (4400 n.)
4000! :d

Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
4000! :d
Haha. I slipped there. It is good you are on the ball.

I am still pissed about the weak Olympic support by our city and country.

See Drover,now you get to rip on me. Haha.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-02-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 PM

367 posts, read 917,860 times
I went there a few times many years ago and thought it was some of the worst food I've ever had. And I'm not picky!

I think it may have changed management since then but I've never been back.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
The Melrose has a long history in Lakeview and I recommend you check it out. It's a true diner experience and based on your post I bet you will enjoy it. I love their banana splits.

Also, you should eat at Ann Sather's. There is one location at 3411 N Broadway across the street and within a quarter block of your hotel and another at 909 W Belmont within easy walking distance and close to the Red Line Belmont Stop. They are Swedish diners that are Chicago institutions and are open M-F 7a to 3p and S/S 7a to 4p. Famous for the cinnamon rolls that are served with the meals.

I can also recommend Stella's Diner in the 3000 block of N. Broadway a couple blocks south of Belmont. It is good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner if you like diner food:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stellas-diner-chicago

Enjoy your trip and the fun neighborhood

Last edited by soulful; 10-02-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: add info re Stella's

Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 PM

102 posts, read 332,662 times
I have been to Melrose many times. The food isn't amazing, but it is good, and the prices aren't bad at all. It's also open 24hrs a day, which is awesome. It's definitely worth trying.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
The Melrose: Mediocre food, large portions, a bit pricey for what it is, IMHO at least. The upside: It's open 24 hours (gets really busy after the bars close).

Some other East Lakeview options that I prefer over the Melrose: Someone else already mentioned Stella's Diner (3000 block of Broadway). In the other direction, in the 3800 block of Broadway is the Horizon Cafe. On Belmont, just a block east of the Red Line, is Clarke's. Finally, in the 3300 block of Halsted (one block west of Broadway), in the heart of Boystown, is Nookies Tree. Those are my picks.

And, I second the recommendation that you try Ann Sather while in town. Keep in mind they are only open for breakfast and lunch, and close around 3 pm (4 pm on weekends). In addition, there are many little ethnic eateries in the vicinity (Mexican, Asian, etc.).

At any rate, Chicago is a friendly, proud host. Enjoy your stay!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
...In the other direction, in the 3800 block of Broadway is the Horizon Cafe...
I have to disagree with this one. I got severe food poisoning after eating there a couple of years ago. After doing some research I found out they had been cited for health violations twice in the 3 months before I had eaten there.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I have to disagree with this one. I got severe food poisoning after eating there a couple of years ago. After doing some research I found out they had been cited for health violations twice in the 3 months before I had eaten there.
Really? I hadn't heard that. I've eaten there many times and never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: