Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

Bravo! Bring a camera, and do consider a buffet or dinner cruise. And since you want to walk, bring a jacket as it will be cool. You might enjoy these walkabouts for the historical content.

1- Founded in 1884. Lincoln Park is the largest oldest zoological park in the country. There is no admission fee. Guide to Lincoln Park Zoo-Chicago provided by Chicago Traveler

2-The Village of Oak Park has the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes in the nation. You can take a self-guided walking tour. Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park, Illinois (1889-1909) . While you are there you might want to check out quaint Oak Park. Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois

3- Grab a cabbie who knows city history and take a short tour of the "city under the city" when Mob boss Al Capone ruled.

4- Chinatown was established between 1890-1905. I never tire of the shops or food!
Chinatown, a Chicago Neighborhood Visitor Guide from Chicago Traveler

5- Surprise your favorite lady with a trip to Peacock Jewelers. Peacock has been selling fine gens and gifts to Chicago since 1837.

6- Chicago Style Pizza. Chicagoans are rabid about their sports and their Pizza

7. Chicago serves up Five Star cuisine, too. There are Foodies on this forum that can tell you where the best of the very best food, wines and service can be found.

One of the things I always loved about Chicago neighborhoods is the authenticity. I could buy Irish bacon as easily as I could find Liver Dumpling Soup or handmade Kielbasa in a Polish meat market. Chicago is the largest convenience store in the Midwest. If you can't find it, order oit, buy it or eat it in Chicago, you probably won't find it in NYC either - unless, or course, it is regional specialty food like the old Brooklyn "corned ribs".

You and your wife are in for a real treat. Savor your visit and come back soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
I've seen Linicx make the suggestion for getting a cabbie who knows what he's talking about to drive on Lower Wacker a few times. It's a bad idea.

For one, the chances of getting a cab driver who speaks decent english, and not some foreign language into his blue tooth the whole time, are slim.

The chances of getting a cab driver who speaks english and can accurately give you a historical background of the city, rather than bull****ting you while running up the meter, is even slimmer.

Secondly, lower Wacker is really just a convenient shortcut to get through the loop, and only takes a few minutes to drive through. I'm not sure how much information can really be gleaned from such a short trip.

However, the Chicago Architectural Foundation provides a variety of tours, and you can be sure your guide knows what he/she is talking about. The schedule for late October can be accessed here (http://www.architecture.org/tour_search_results.aspx?TourStartDate=10/1/2009&TourEndDate=10/31/2009 - broken link)

Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
jazz
Unfortunately, I'm not a very good resource on jazz in Chicago. The two on Clark you couldn't remember the name of are more blues than jazz, though. I have been to Andy's and enjoyed it. There are some good spots on the South and even West sides with non-touristy blues, but I'm not really in a good position to rate or recommend.

Quartino is quite popular and run by the same people who run one of the biggest steak houses in Chicago, Gibson's, so I think the chances are good you'll enjoy yourself. It definitely has the urban hustle-and-bustle you're probably looking for.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Before we moved up a couple a years ago my partner and I would come up from Ft Lauderdale to vacation here and we almost always came in November or February because it was so much cheaper to fly and stay in hotels here. You should have a blast. 6 days will give you plenty of time to do some off the beaten path stuff too.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
I don't think your nuts at all. I am from SW Florida, and I brought my wife and son here to Chicago for a week. We are staying until Saturday afternoon. We have had a blst exploring the city. No friends/family here either. We just like to see different things. We bought the 7 day pass for CTA so we could take the bus/trains freely. It has been nice parking the car for a week. Although it's not a tour bus, you can ride the city buses downtown and sightsee.

Everyone in the city and the people on the forums (dover, avengefire, to name a couple) have been helpful.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,557 times
Thanks all for the information.

LINICX: yes, Oak Park was actually part of my tour and I forgot it somewhere, good call. Lincoln Park was alreayd in as I'll do it the same I am at the Musuem up there.
I am sure good food won't be a problem in Chicago, and definitely I need to have the pizza and the classic hot dog Chicago-style.
Quartino got me when I read their online menus and found items like: bresaola, provola, polenta...that's Italian!

BRIANJIB:

you are right. Unfortunately a lot of people I know and work with seem to think that vacation has to be lying down on some beach or taking a cruise, but they basically associate it with the "all-inclusive" do nothing concept.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Don't forget to buy a Gyro.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Don't forget to buy a Gyro.
Where do you recommend?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
The ones I like are kind of far from your area of visit (Argyle & Pulaski)

I did try some from "Greek town"

It was Mr Greek Gyros on Halsted and Jackson

So try that one.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Mr. Greek is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago