Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are pretty similar to how you've described yourself; later 20s, like to be near shops and restaurants but are not all about getting wasted, etc. Currently we live in Humboldt Park (2 blocks west of Wicker Park). We wished we lived in Lincoln Square. So, there you have it, for what that's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM

33 posts, read 95,568 times
I would try to look in the Gold Coast/River North/Old Town neighborhoods. There is a ton to do around there (shopping, restaurants, bars, lake etc.) and is very urban and full of yuppies. It is a bit more expensive but I think you can easily find a decent 1 bedroom for around $1200 maybe even a little less as I have friends that rent there. I currently live on the border of Old Town and Gold Coast in a great, renovated place and only pay $800 and I love the area. It is also very safe as I am a female in my early 20s and I feel comfortable walking around by myself at night. I live right by the red line which in 5-10 minutes you can take to transfer to the orange or blue lines in the loop out to O'Hare and Midway. I do it frequently and it takes about 30-45 minutes.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 PM

279 posts, read 760,030 times
If you want the least painless commute to either airport (without transfers, bus rides, etc.) and still have entertainment and restaurant options nearby, I recommend looking into the northern Loop / southern River North area. I.E. the rectangle approximately bordered by Michigan, Randolph, Franklin, and Grand. That should put you at a less than 10 minute walk to an Orange or Blue Line station and still keep you amongst all kinds of restaurants and shopping. I'm in a similar situation as you, and this area works out absolutely perfectly for me and my wife, and you get easy access to the El going in any direction too. It won't be easy finding and apartment (assuming 1BR) in this area for around $1200, but it's doable - especially in some older buildings. Parking will set you back too, but it will in most desirable areas unless you want to deal with hunting for street parking. The nice thing about living here is that it's really easy to get by without a car though.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,614 times
I think you need to find out which airport you will be using more often. If it's O'Hare, go with Wicker Park, if it's Midway go with South Loop.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM

61 posts, read 78,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wicker Park. Equidistant to O'Hare and Midway via public transportation -- roughly 40 minutes to both. Plenty of "stuff" in the area, much of it for grown-ups as opposed to holdover fratboys (though there's a few of them around too but not as bad as other neighborhoods), and falls within your rental budget. Pretty safe for an urban neighborhood, but some stuff does go down there so the idea of your wife mulling around late at night by herself is not recommended. Then again, I wouldn't really recommend it anywhere in the city.
Wicker Park is a LOUSY place for married couples. It's a transient hipster neighborhood and one look at the clientele at the park itself is what you should go look at before you choose that hood. If you really need O'Hare blue line CTA access and/or freeway access, I think River West would be the best bet for a married couple. Take a drive around the Grand Ave. stop.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingStar View Post
Wicker Park is a LOUSY place for married couples . . .
I'm sure the numerous married couples who live there have a different perspective.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Wicker Park, the park itself is creepy, even in the daytime. The neighborhood is transient and hipster.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Wicker Park is a LOUSY place for married couples. It's a transient hipster neighborhood and one look at the clientele at the park itself is what you should go look at before you choose that hood. If you really need O'Hare blue line CTA access and/or freeway access, I think River West would be the best bet for a married couple. Take a drive around the Grand Ave. stop.
Have you been to WP recently? Yuppies are invading en masse.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Have you been to WP recently? Yuppies are invading en masse.
Yes, I've been there with my wife, my toddler, and my two dogs. I do think the dog park there is good though, right across from the Hispanic evangelical church. My wife is not a big fan of Wicker Park. The south entrance on Damen is filled with weirdos and homeless. There's a basketball court inhabited almost exclusively with gang-bangers. It's just not the kind of place you would want to picnic at, or God forbid, fall asleep at.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
The south entrance on Damen is filled with weirdos and homeless.
Welcome to the city.
Quote:
It's just not the kind of place you would want to picnic at, or God forbid, fall asleep at.
The original poster didn't strike me as the type of person who sleeps in parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago