U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,046 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a married yuppie (no sense denying it) in my late 20's and looking at relocating to Chicago from Kansas City. We've read through several other posts and it seems like if you ask the question enough times, just about every neighborhood in Chicago will get recommended. That being said, we'd like to get some opinions about our situation.

I'll be traveling for work on a weekly basis so I want have peace of mind about my wife's safety when I'm not around. She'll be holding the fort down on her own for three nights a week. A manageable commute to O'Hare/Midway by car or public transport is definitely something that I'm looking for. We like to get out and do "stuff" so that's important to us as well but, the newly graduated let's go get wasted with all my new dough phase is sadly over. $1250 max is what we'd like to spend and we'd like to have the "in the city" feel and stay away from suburbia if possible. Not being from Chicago, all of the options/factors are quite a lot to evaluate so we'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks a lot
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
 
760 posts, read 1,186,608 times
Reputation: 334
You've come to the right place as this is website caters specifically to yuppies. The obvious recommendations will be the 3 yuppie enclaves, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park.

Lincoln Park is a mixture of established yuppies and frat boys
Lake View has a higher concentration of frat boys, with plenty of up and coming yuppies, and gay yuppies
Wicker Park is yuppies who view themselves as hip and Bobos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 95,756,970 times
Reputation: 29790
Wicker Park. Equidistant to O'Hare and Midway via public transportation -- roughly 40 minutes to both. Plenty of "stuff" in the area, much of it for grown-ups as opposed to holdover fratboys (though there's a few of them around too but not as bad as other neighborhoods), and falls within your rental budget. Pretty safe for an urban neighborhood, but some stuff does go down there so the idea of your wife mulling around late at night by herself is not recommended. Then again, I wouldn't really recommend it anywhere in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 95,756,970 times
Reputation: 29790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
You've come to the right place as this is website caters specifically to yuppies.
Oooh, feel the hostility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
The obvious recommendations will be the 3 yuppie enclaves, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park.

Lincoln Park is a mixture of established yuppies and frat boys
Lake View has a higher concentration of frat boys, with plenty of up and coming yuppies, and gay yuppies
Wicker Park is yuppies who view themselves as hip and Bobos
The commute to O'Hare from Lakeview/Lincoln Park would really suck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Logan Square
1,912 posts, read 5,090,419 times
Reputation: 509
Are you really a yuppie if you max out at $1200 a month? I guess it's easier to be upwardly mobile in KC. Here I think we'd call that middle class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,046 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Are you really a yuppie if you max out at $1200 a month? I guess it's easier to be upwardly mobile in KC. Here I think we'd call that middle class.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I get to Chicago. We just want to limit the amount of money we shell out on rent...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Chicago - Logan Square
3,396 posts, read 6,692,491 times
Reputation: 3725
Based on the criteria of getting to the airports and a safe area I think Wicker Park makes some sense, but I think Bucktown would be better than Wicker Park based on what your looking for. You'll want to be in walking distance to either the Damen or Western Blue Line stops for getting to the airport, and also within walking distance of the restaurants along Damen, Milwaukee, and North. If you aren't into bar hopping the strip of restaurants along Damen North of Wicker Park are probably more of what you're looking for in nightlife - The Bristol, Takashi, La Bouchon, Coast, Duchamp, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: University Village
440 posts, read 1,417,411 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringucho View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a married yuppie (no sense denying it) in my late 20's and looking at relocating to Chicago from Kansas City. We've read through several other posts and it seems like if you ask the question enough times, just about every neighborhood in Chicago will get recommended. That being said, we'd like to get some opinions about our situation.

I'll be traveling for work on a weekly basis so I want have peace of mind about my wife's safety when I'm not around. She'll be holding the fort down on her own for three nights a week. A manageable commute to O'Hare/Midway by car or public transport is definitely something that I'm looking for. We like to get out and do "stuff" so that's important to us as well but, the newly graduated let's go get wasted with all my new dough phase is sadly over. $1250 max is what we'd like to spend and we'd like to have the "in the city" feel and stay away from suburbia if possible. Not being from Chicago, all of the options/factors are quite a lot to evaluate so we'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks a lot
Assuming you will be frequenting both airports frequently, your best bet logistically would be in University Village along Halsted between the Blue and Orange lines. With Bus Tracker, the connection to either via the Halsted Bus would be quick and extremely easy. University Village would also satisfy the criteria of safety and proximity to "stuff", given its location and neighborhood amenities.

However, I am not sure it fits within your budget, although frankly, $1250 per month is going to be tough in any upscale neighborhood,. So if you are firm on that, pretty much anyplace along Halsted, from, say, 4 blocks north of the Blue Line stop to 4 blocks south of the Orange Line stop would fit the bill. That adds North Bridgeport, East Pilsen, and West Loop to the list of possibilities. Bridgeport and East Pilsen, I should point out, are easily within your budget.

Do you know how often you are going to be flying out of each airport? If you are going to be going mostly O'Hare, almost anywhere along the Blue Line should work nicely, which adds more affordable neighborhoods like Logan Square and Avondale to the mix. If you are going to be going mostly out of Midway, South Loop is yet another possibility.

Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Logan Square
1,912 posts, read 5,090,419 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringucho View Post
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I get to Chicago. We just want to limit the amount of money we shell out on rent...
Oh I should have said that here in Chicago (at least the city proper) cars are much less of a status symbol than in many other areas of the country. If they are ever parked on the street they will get beaten to hell in no time flat so if you have a $600/month lease you may want to just junk that car and get a mid-nineties camry or whatever and then you can funnel the savings into rent or better yet nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Chicago
2,884 posts, read 4,496,682 times
Reputation: 2762
Nobody's mentioned Lincoln Square yet. Doesn't work great for Midway, but it's good for O'Hare and it's a lot more reasonably priced than Lincoln Park, with plenty of little shops and restaurants. It's also close to Andersonville which would add to the airport trips, but is nice for shopping and restaurants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top