Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times

Advertisements

OK, guys, one more...jeeze, I feel like a tourist here...

Chicago card v daily /weekly card that you can buy at the terminal?

Which is better/cheaper? Already checked, the Chicago card is good for like 4 years, so, that won't be an issue in between visits..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
You can load your Chicago card you know (like an I-Pass). The money doesn't go away if you don't use it and you can program it to auto-reload once it reaches a certain amount so I don't really see the difference between it and say a paper card with $12 on it, except that with a paper card you'll no doubt be left with an odd amount at the entrance machine at some point and have to fumble with cash and change to amend the amount. The plastic card saves your time, (since you load it from any computer) and is much more durable. What's the argument for the paper card, again?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,563 times
The Chicago Card is better in every way than the ordinary paper farecards. I would say the only reason the paper farecards are still ever used is because you have to send off for the Chicago Card. So the paper cards are still used by the lazy, the homeless, very occasional CTA riders and tourists.

The daily/weekly CTA passes are another matter. I have a Chicago Card but if I knew for sure I was gonna ride the CTA at least 10 times over the next three days, I would get a 3-day pass anyway because it's cheaper. Remember transfers when you're doing the math -- if you get on a second train or bus and pay with the same farecard within two hours of the first ride it's $.25, and the third or more times you board it's free. Also remember if you wait until your trip, you'd better get your CTA pass when you first get into town. You can buy CTA passes at O'Hare and Midway and Union Station, but very few other places around town. You can buy ordinary CTA farecards all over the place (including every CTA rail station).

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
The Chicago Card is better in every way than the ordinary paper farecards. I would say the only reason the paper farecards are still ever used is because you have to send off for the Chicago Card. So the paper cards are still used by the lazy, the homeless, very occasional CTA riders and tourists.

The daily/weekly CTA passes are another matter. I have a Chicago Card but if I knew for sure I was gonna ride the CTA at least 10 times over the next three days, I would get a 3-day pass anyway because it's cheaper. Remember transfers when you're doing the math -- if you get on a second train or bus and pay with the same farecard within two hours of the first ride it's $.25, and the third or more times you board it's free. Also remember if you wait until your trip, you'd better get your CTA pass when you first get into town. You can buy CTA passes at O'Hare and Midway and Union Station, but very few other places around town. You can buy ordinary CTA farecards all over the place (including every CTA rail station).
meatpuff, thanks. That was actually what I was looking for. Don't think that the savings would be enough to warrant the hassle; especially since I think most of my trips would be direct anyway. (no transfers) Going to order my Chicago card now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago