Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can stand by a friend without contributing to the financial means to try to evade responsibility for the harm they've caused to others. That's where I draw the line and say "you're on your own there, but good luck."
Ya, I can see it now. Drovers friend comes to him for help. Drovers response:

"I'm here for ya, as long as you dont ask me for anything."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Ya, I can see it now. Drovers friend comes to him for help. Drovers response:

"I'm here for ya, as long as you dont ask me for anything."
Whereas you evidently have no problem shelling out dough to friends who kill people.

That's a difference between you and me that I'm perfectly comfortable with, Maybe you are too. So be it.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Whereas you evidently have no problem shelling out dough to friends who kill people.

That's a difference between you and me that I'm perfectly comfortable with, Maybe you are too. So be it.
When it comes to helping out his family, no I would not have a problem with it.

Again, helping a friend does not equal condoning their actions.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
When it comes to helping out his family, no I would not have a problem with it.

Again, helping a friend does not equal condoning their actions.
Where has all the outrage been as former Governor Thompson has represented former Governor Ryan for quite a few years on many different cases? This man has even tried to get Bush to pardon Ryan and ask Obama to give Ryan clemency. Fortunately Bush did not and thus far Obama has not let him off the hook either.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:04 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
What stinks about this is that they could have held a fundraiser to help the victims of this homicide or to help some kind of organization to prevent drunk driving. Instead, they hold a fundraiser to try and get their guilty buddy off the hook. It truly shows what the police officers involved are concerned about.

Last edited by It'sAutomatic; 10-23-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Where has all the outrage been as former Governor Thompson has represented former Governor Ryan for quite a few years on many different cases? This man has even tried to get Bush to pardon Ryan and ask Obama to give Ryan clemency. Fortunately Bush did not and thus far Obama has not let him off the hook either.

The difference here is that he's only asking a favor and not holding a fundraiser in a shady union hall to actually raise money to save his criminal buddy, supported by people who are supposed to stop criminals. He shows questionable judgment no doubt, but I don't think it's 1/10 the disrespect to the victim's families that this fundraiser is.

I hope they can seize these assets somehow like the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Simpson got the money earned from OJ's book.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The difference here is that he's only asking a favor... He shows questionable judgment no doubt, but I don't think it's 1/10 the disrespect to the victim's families...
Clearly you are relatively new to Illinois or are at least ignorant of George Ryan's history. As a result of the workings involved in the license for bribes scandal (when he was Secretary of State of Illinois and presided over the scheme), an unqualified Illinois trucker got into an accident in Wisconsin that cost six children from one family their lives. Maybe you need to brush up on your knowledge of what you think you know about Chicago and Illinois.

Btw-the services rendered pro bono to Ryan over the years by Thompson's law firm is estimated to be in excess of 20 million dollars. That is a bit more than a favor don't you think?

...and you talk about disrespect to victim's families.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Please merge this thread into this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...wo-people.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago