Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

25 posts, read 49,677 times

Advertisements

Data......

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Chicago Metro Area Sales-Tax Receipts Plunge, Property Taxes Rise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Speaking of sales tax, I got the shock of my life this afternoon when I stopped at Jewel to pick up a bag of candy... only to find at the cash register that the tax I was charged was over 10 percent.

I called the cashier on it, and was told that tax on candy had gone up. I shook my head in disbelief, paid what I was told, and left.

First thing I did after I got home was look it up online... and found that state taxes on candy were indeed recently raised to such high levels. Even more confusing, I found that some candy is taxed as "candy" (high rate), while other candy is taxed as "food" (low rate), depending on the ingredients contained therein. For example, if a candy contains any flour, it's considered a "food". How ridiculous is that?

I guess I should've known about the increase, but I've been in a phase lately where I've been tuning out most local news, and so I hadn't heard about it. Shame on me, I guess.

Sometimes I think the sales tax schedule around these parts is deliberately designed to be as confusing as possible, just to keep the consumer from ever being able to know for sure whether or not he/she is being overcharged.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Speaking of sales tax, I got the shock of my life this afternoon when I stopped at Jewel to pick up a bag of candy... only to find at the cash register that the tax I was charged was over 10 percent.

I called the cashier on it, and was told that tax on candy had gone up. I shook my head in disbelief, paid what I was told, and left.

First thing I did after I got home was look it up online... and found that state taxes on candy were indeed recently raised to such high levels. Even more confusing, I found that some candy is taxed as "candy" (high rate), while other candy is taxed as "food" (low rate), depending on the ingredients contained therein. For example, if a candy contains any flour, it's considered a "food". How ridiculous is that?

I guess I should've known about the increase, but I've been in a phase lately where I've been tuning out most local news, and so I hadn't heard about it. Shame on me, I guess.

Sometimes I think the sales tax schedule around these parts is deliberately designed to be as confusing as possible, just to keep the consumer from ever being able to know for sure whether or not he/she is being overcharged.
If you would have bought bananas it would have been 2.25% -- and just as sweet too!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
If government were run like a private business, the result of a decrease in revenues wouldn't be to increase our taxes, it would be to reduce spending, cutting staff, finding ways to be more efficient, etc.
But the government basically says "lower tax revenue, no problem....We'll just raise taxes."

Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 49,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
If government were run like a private business, the result of a decrease in revenues wouldn't be to increase our taxes, it would be to reduce spending, cutting staff, finding ways to be more efficient, etc.
But the government basically says "lower tax revenue, no problem....We'll just raise taxes."

Exactly right. Add to the list why Chicago is losing population and gaining a reputation.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
If you would have bought bananas it would have been 2.25% -- and just as sweet too!
Not to mention healthier. But yesterday was one of those days when only Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures would do.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM

28 posts, read 26,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Not to mention healthier. But yesterday was one of those days when only Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures would do.

I'm a scooter pie man myself. ayyyyyyy

Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
You are still in disbelief that we are governed by morons?

I stopped shopping in the city almost completely. I travel out of he metro area frequently and do all of my shopping there.

These idiots think that if they raise taxes, they will make more money, yet people that have the means travel away from the taxes. Then, when only the poor people who can't afford to travel stop buying as much, the morons raise taxes again.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Idiots.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 AM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
I have to remember to register to vote this week.

"Officials of this state, and too many county governments, deliver greater loyalty and more secure futures to their public employees than they deliver to the citizens who pay their salaries."

Splurge. Borrow. Repeat. - chicagotribune.com

Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
I have to remember to register to vote this week...
"Tues., Jan. 5, 2010 is the deadline to register to be eligible to cast a ballot in the Feb. 2, 2010 Primary Election. "

"Special Registration Hours:
-- Sat., Jan. 2: 8 am to 4 pm at 69 W. Washington St., Sixth Floor
-- Sun., Jan. 3: 8 am to 4 pm at 69 W. Washington St., Sixth Floor
-- Tues., Jan. 5: 8 am to Midnight at 69 W. Washington St. and at City Hall "

Board of Election Commissioners for the City of Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: