Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,952,107 times

Advertisements

OK, guys...for all of you who complain about driving here, let me tell you...OUTSIDE OF THE WHOLE RUSH-HOUR CONGESTION THING...driving here is a pleasure. People actually go with the order of things. If you use your turn signal, they let you change lanes. They merge properly. Even though there are a lot of cars, I don't feel intimidated or anything. Maybe this is because this is the way that I learned to drive??

In Charlotte, where I live now...none of the above applies. There are somewhat fewer cars (depending upon where you are, the streets are woefully inadequate) but you really feel as though you are taking your life into your hands when you drive there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,813 times
I'm going to agree with you here. Drivers in Seattle have no clue regarding the rules of the road, and that makes for a frustrating rush hour. Last month I was in Chicago visiting family and I had to drive to Indiana for a few days for business. On my way back to Chicago, I caught the traffic on I-90, just south of the Loop, and it wasn't bad at all. Mind you, it was about 3pm on a Friday afternoon, and so I hit a standstill south of the Loop and again at the crotch, but still, I was in Norwood park in about 30 min. No cuts offs, no people merging or changing lanes without signaling. Here in W WA, on a Friday afternoon it easily takes an hour to drive the same distance and dodge all the kamakazie drivers. Now, once I got off the expressway, driving the streets in Chicago is a whole other story, but, you gotta take the bright spots when you get them.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times
I'm with you on keeping up with the pace of traffic. There are very few doddlers and in fact most people seem to go well over the speed limit in most areas. It helps that cops rarely pull people over for California sliding through stop signs and being lead foots.

I totally disagree about merging though and it seems to be a universal problem all over the country. There are people that merge smartly and responsibly in advance of an ended lane but the few bad apples who speed up to the very last second (also true of "right turn only" lanes) just to cut off a ton of people who were waiting their turn **** me off to no end. I think the worst intersection in town for this nonsense is the southbound side of Elston approaching the Fullerton/Damen/Eston 6 points. Good luck ever making that light in one or two rotation because of the pricks that like to use the right turn lane as their own personal HOV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago