Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM

60 posts, read 152,823 times

Advertisements

Chicago Career Fair
Date: Wednesday, December 2
350 West Mart Center Drive
Chicago, IL 60654
Time: 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
For a list of attending companies, click the link below and fill out the brief registration form:
Chicago Job Fair Wednesday December, 2, 2009
Bring at least 15 resumes to the event!
Take care-
See you at the career fair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM

94 posts, read 257,610 times
Career Fairs are b.s.
I went to the GMA one at Navy Pier earlier in the year.

Thousands of people lined up for hours
Unless you want to work in security or for Malwort, you are wasting your time.

If you can train to be a nurse, you are set.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM

367 posts, read 917,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyho View Post
Career Fairs are b.s.
I went to the GMA one at Navy Pier earlier in the year.

Thousands of people lined up for hours
Unless you want to work in security or for Malwort, you are wasting your time.

If you can train to be a nurse, you are set.
I think another thread mention the futility of becoming a nurse in Chicago.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM

269 posts, read 717,184 times
I don't work, I go to law school & have a few rental properties for income.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

60 posts, read 152,823 times
There seem to be a lack of entry level jobs everywhere, and especially in Chicago. My girlfriend's sister (who was a biology major in college) got laid off from her first job after about 3 months there and couldnt find another one. She looked for about 4-5 months and then just decided to go back to school (Optometry school). She is starting the program next fall.

There seem to be mostly finance and medical jobs in this city, and they all seem to require a bit of experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
I have some very, very bad news for you.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:18 PM

126 posts, read 280,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
lol, sound so much like Jesse.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM

27 posts, read 40,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
How many of you Chicago posters here are Unemployed?

I moved here from Houston around Feb 12th 09 [?] and since then I've been applying to Chicago jobs but have not even gotten an interview! I wonder if I'm being blacklisted because of my felony or something else. 64 weeks unemployed now and I'm gonna resort to my employment method of last resort - I'm looking for jobs around the nation! Good permanent ones or contract jobs...

So how is your unemployment and Chicago jobhunt going? What type of jobs do you apply for? I apply for CAD / Mechanical Engineering / Technical Writing jobs.

I'm getting TX State Extended Benefits now... activated after my 2nd Extension ran out. This long term Unemployment Benefit has been a lifesaver as I don't have to work at McDonalds because of it. And with my resume I'm overqualified for McDonalds / Walmart ... etc type of jobs anyway...
I'm sorry, not to sound rude, but I'm kinda confused why you would move from Houston to Chicago with no job lined up. Chicago, and Illinois, has one of the worst economies in the entire nation. Add up the rising costs of everything in Chicago, and things are virtually uninhabitable here now. You should have probably taken your business only 5 hours east of Houston, to New Orleans instead. They are desperate for employees there in just about any field. After being born and raised in Chicago for 20+ years my whole life, that is what I am doing now because I have no other choice, as I am currently unemployed right now and been looking for any job possible for the last year (and I mean really scraping at the bottom of the barrel, fast food, retail, bagging groceries, cashiers, anything). I know too many who are in the same position as well, to the point where it's disturbing. I will miss Chicago, but love or hate New Orleans, it seems like it is the biggest city around right now where a job market exists. I'm leaving this Saturday, and I am sad but in a city where there are no jobs, and costs of everything is going through the roof, there are clearly much better options and lifestyles elsewhere. I won't live miserably and broke in Chicago just to say "Hey, I live in Chicago". Chicago is in the dumps right now and will only be getting worse.

Last edited by DatsThaBadGuy; 11-12-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 40,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Go door to door and offer to rake and bag leaves. When it starts snowing shovel snow and throw down salt. I am sure you can make some decent cash.
I know your just trying to help, and that may be good if your desperate for cash now, but when you apply for jobs in the future, putting "raking leaves and shoveling snow" on a resume or the previous employment section of an application really won't do you much good. You need to become an official part of the workforce to progress, otherwise you are wasting time, and for all your future employer knows, you are just sitting naked in a bean bag chair, eating cheetos and watching Judge Mathis. Besides I don't think Chicago is a place where you should go knocking door to door on stanger's properties.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsThaBadGuy View Post
I know your just trying to help, and that may be good if your desperate for cash now, but when you apply for jobs in the future, putting "raking leaves and shoveling snow" on a resume...

... Besides I don't think Chicago is a place where you should go knocking door to door on stanger's properties.
1) No kidding. Where did I suggest that it should be put on a resume?

2) Well I know plenty of people that have done it in the past including myself. Normally we would only do it in the neighborhoods we lived in and neighborhoods that were adjacent to them. It is not like we would go down to a ghetto and knock on doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago