Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,809 times

Advertisements

The urban pioneer can get a huge condo in the WP area. It all depends on what your comfort level is. As far as crime, you can do better. There are some beautiful buildings in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,786 times
There are some buildings with great potential. But usually, being an urban pioneer comes with the expectation that the neighborhood will improve. And not too many people will tell you that Washington Park will improve very soon. I would love to see the neighborhood turn around, since it's served by two 'L' lines, has great historic buildings, a nice and very large park, and it's close to Hyde Park and the U of C. But it's going to take some big undertaking (like a successful Olympics bid) to get that area out of the drain.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
...I would love to see the neighborhood turn around, since it's served by two 'L' lines, has great historic buildings, a nice and very large park, and it's close to Hyde Park and the U of C. But it's going to take some big undertaking (like a successful Olympics bid) to get that area out of the drain.
It would be nice of the White House could handle it-but I am not holding my breath.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
I have a friend who moved near the hospital just north of 51st ( half way between cottage and king). It's a lot quieter in that are compared to the Garfield corridor west of the park. Not great but he has a family and seems ok with it.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
There are some buildings with great potential. But usually, being an urban pioneer comes with the expectation that the neighborhood will improve. And not too many people will tell you that Washington Park will improve very soon. I would love to see the neighborhood turn around, since it's served by two 'L' lines, has great historic buildings, a nice and very large park, and it's close to Hyde Park and the U of C. But it's going to take some big undertaking (like a successful Olympics bid) to get that area out of the drain.
It has a better chance of improving than alot of neighborhoods tho...

Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Sure it is. Ok so Englewood? It is still in the Washington Park area.

Gacy? That is all you can come up with?
Well, let's see ... Rezko lived in Wilmette but had defalcations all over the south side. George Ryan was from Kankakee but managed to have an effect state-wide before he went to jail.

Why do you blame a neighborhood for the crime of an individual? You really ought to leave the fear-mongering like this alone. Or is it really race-baiting? I'm sure you know that most crime is local and does not cross ethnic lines. How many cars with suburban stickers are on the west side cruising for drugs or sex?

And, no, the address is not in Washington Park.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
...I'm sure you know that most crime is local and does not cross ethnic lines.

And, no, the address is not in Washington Park...
Washington Park or Englewood. What really is the difference other than one is right next to Hyde Park? Both neighborhoods are dungholes. I honestly have no idea why you feel the need to deflect and deny that fact and pull the race card.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Washington Park or Englewood. What really is the difference other than one is right next to Hyde Park? Both neighborhoods are dungholes. I honestly have no idea why you feel the need to deflect and deny that fact and pull the race card.
Why mention where the criminal suspect has an address? It was certainly irrelevant to the story. You did know that Rezko lived in Wilmette, right? Neither the Washington Park nor the Englewood neighborhood is right next to Hyde Park, by the way.

Don't be so ready to criticize neighborhoods. There are home owners in Englewood and in Wilmette. I would not be so quick to term someone's block a 'dunghole'. Most of the areas contain folks going to work, trying to make a living and raise their kids, just like other areas; and I know several of these sorts of folks who live in Englewood. When you start emphasizing us vs. them all sorts of problems ensue. Since Chicago has a history of ethnic enclaves, these problems could surely arise along ethnic lines. Your whole premise for continuing this thread is wrong -- the suspect was not said to have a Washington Park address and the news item has nothing to do with Washington Park. So what motivation for unearthing the thread is left?

That's no way to solve the racial divide. Can't we all get along?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Why mention where the criminal has an address? It was certainly irrelevant to the story. You did know that Rezko lived in Wilmette, right? Neither the Washington Park nor the Englewood neighborhood is right next to Hyde Park, by the way.

Don't be so ready to criticize neighborhoods. There are home owners in Englewood and in Wilmette. I would not be so quick to term someone's black a 'dunghole'. Most of the areas contain folks going to work, trying to make a living and raise their kids, just like other areas; and I know several of these sorts of folks who live in Englewood. When you start emphasizing us vs. them all sorts of problems ensue. Since Chicago has a history of ethnic enclaves, these problems could surely arise along ethnic lines.

That's no way to solve the racial divide. Can't we all get along?
The reason I mention the address is how often do you see someone with an address of something like 9800 N. Milwaukee robbing a house in Englewood or Washington Park? That is my point.

Washington Park is not next to Hyde Park? Huh? What neighborhood is directly west of Hyde Park then?

This has nothing to do with the offender being black.

There are black areas that are full of a large percentage of good non-criminal people, but Englewood and Washington Park are not among them.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The reason I mention the address is how often do you see someone with an address of something like 9800 N. Milwaukee robbing a house in Englewood or Washington Park? That is my point.
So your point is to slam a neighborhood? What percentage black is Washington Park? I can't see the point in criticizing a neighborhood. How often do you see someone from Englewood or Washington Park committing mortgage fraud as to homes around N. Milwaukee Ave.? The lawyer who sold off the Woodlawn church's property and kept the money lived in Berwyn. So what?

Attorney News Jun 2006: News about attorney, lawyer and law firms

Quote:
Washington Park is not next to Hyde Park? Huh? What neighborhood is directly west of Hyde Park then?
No neighborhood at all. Just west of Hyde Park the the Park District's Washington Park. Its not a neighborhood.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the offender being black.
Sorry, I'm waving the 'BS' flag as to that statement. You're race baiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago