Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM

98 posts, read 344,066 times

Advertisements

[quote=andrew61;11736175]Well, Chicago is a great place to live -- for some. For others, not so much.

If you're young and single and childless and well-educated, and have a well-paying job that allows you to live and move about in the city's yuppie playgrounds and comfortably plunk down $400K for a condo and all that, Chicago can be a wonderful place to call home... at least for a while.
quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. Chicago is truly a wonderful lifestyle if you can afford to live that lifestyle.

We make good money, but now with a baby boy, our priorities of changed. We are trying to save more via our 401k, IRA, HSA and 529 plans. Childcare costs are not helping either. Rearranging our priorities, we are finding it impossible to have enough left over to enjoy the lifestyle that Chicago can offer. We are seriously considering leaving Chicago for a midwest city that will give us the ability to really meet our financial goals. Even the cost of living in the suburbs seems quite expensive to us. Heck, even if we had the money to really enjoy the City, finding the time is another concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 PM

77,687 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do you sometimes think of moving out of Chicago? This city is degenerating under Mayor Daley. Soon parking meters will be too expensive. CTA is getting way expensive. Shopping at Jewel's and Dominick's is expensive. What else is expensive?

Sometimes I think I should just move to Houston or another US city. Chicago's attractions to me is that I live in a great location in Wicker Park and that LSD is great to workout in. But shopping, groceries, and restaurants are better in Houston.

And I'm getting tired of applying to the same Chicago companies that don't even hire me. Maybe I'm not gonna last in Chicago...
I moved 9 years ago to Kansas City.
I love Chicago, it's just a little too big and expensive for me.

As a result, my housing cost is less than 1/2 what it was and my commute went from >1 hour to 15minutes. I still have pro-sports, concerts, restaurants, museums etc.

I am back to Chicago about twice a year and always enjoy the visit (Giordanos!) but for daily living I'm much happier where I am as it suits my needs.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:05 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
I thought about it for many years and finally got out of the city in 1991 to the suburbs and then in 2003 I left the state for a warmer climate in SC. There are things here that we don't necessarily like or think is right but that applies to just about every city or town I think for the most part.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM

77,687 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
All points? A little heavy perhaps?

Maybe some points or most points would have been a better choice of words?

Side note: Whenever I hear someone say "not a racist" they usually are. Not that you are, just in my experience people that say that tend to be.
Of course some parts aren't gang infested. The police hassle people that look like that right out of Lincoln Park and other parts of chicago.

Chicago is still highly racially segregated. Don't believe me, send a black guy into Mayor Daley's neighborhood someday and watch how long it takes for him to get jumped or questioned by police.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,296,952 times
Do you sometimes think of moving out of Chicago?
Yes, maybe next year, maybe not.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,643,590 times
There are few women I don't find attractive in one way or another regardless of age, race, ethnicity or whatever. I reckon I just like women.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:32 PM

947 posts, read 2,411,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
There are few women I don't find attractive in one way or another regardless of age, race, ethnicity or whatever. I reckon I just like women.

Bless you!

Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,123,811 times
EVERY DAY.......I've been here for 5 years and this place is a total............................................. .................................................( look at my location above^)

Not one day goes by, that I don't think about leaving. I am planning my next move now. If things go well, I'll be in my new home by May 2010

Chicago has a beautiful downtown and that's about it.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao111 View Post
No

no

This is the same city we are talking about? The same city that considers bringing in state troopers from other states and the national guard because violent crime is "out of control"
The same city where a teenage boy is beat to death in the street while blocks away gang wars wage and bullets fly at innocent citizens' windows? The same city that fails year after year to offer complete and accurate crime reports to authorities? Murder rates came down, but down from what??? Insane? I have to agree with the previous poster, the stats are misleading and so are some Chicagoans' opinions because the neighborhoods are so segregated. Out of sight, out of mind.

Also the medical advances theory mentioned does have to be considered, as it is in other countries.
I can't help it if you're not informed. You know, there's a site called City-Data.com that posts crime stats over a ten year period for cities all over the U.S. Check it out some time. Chicago is MUCH safer today than it was in 1999. And it was MUCH safer in 1999 than it was in 1989. As in most of the U.S., violent crime peaked in the early 1990s and declined for about ten years. It's gone up and down since the early 2000s only by small amounts, but never comes close to approaching the numbers from twenty years ago.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
I'm definitely leaving Chicago once I graduate, though mainly because I'm not thrilled about the Midwest geography. I miss the ocean and I miss being near mountains and hills (surprisingly, Illinois is too landlocked and too flat for me ). might check out the NW coast like Washington or even NW Canada, or I'll just drag my butt back to New England. plus, there are times when this city gets me down in terms of politics, crime, and other nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago