Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you spend per week on groceries in Chicago as a single person? (Eating very healthy.)
Between $75 - $100 per week 14 70.00%
Between $150 - $170 per week 5 25.00%
Between $200 - $250 per week 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM

71 posts, read 121,929 times

Advertisements

I have recently cut out meat and dairy from my diet. I get my groceries from peapod. Can anyone tell me what they know of a single person, vegetarian/ vegan, paying per week for groceries?

I do buy about $8 - $10 in cat food and treats per week, and occassionally have to buy kitty litter, garbage bags, and toilet paper.

I don't buy beer or alcohol, or bread or condiments, and try to buy everything organic if available.

I'm trying to keep it at $150 - $170 per week, but it can easily get up to $200 per week. My mother says it seems rediculous to spend any more than $100 / week.

Anyone in my situation?

Last edited by Teranell; 11-28-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: made serious typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teranell View Post
I have recently cut out meat and dairy from my diet. I get my groceries from peapod. Can anyone tell me what they know of a single person, vegetarian/ vegan, paying per week for groceries?

I do buy about $8 - $10 in cat food and treats per week, and occassionally have to buy kitty litter, garbage bags, and toilet paper.

I don't buy beer or alcohol, or bread or condiments, and try to buy everything organic if available.

I'm trying to keep it at $150 - $170 per week, but it can easily get up to $200 per week. My mother says it seems rediculous to spend any more than $100 / week.

Anyone in my situation?
You will surely pay a lot more per week than a typical person who doesn't try to adhere to a vegetarian/organic diet. We feed a family of 4 - in Hawaii - with somewhere around $125 per week and we eat very well.

There is no real evidence that vegetarian/organic eating really does anything for you. You can simply buy smart and eat plenty of fruits, veggies and some meat and do just fine with your health. Flame away, people. (but you know it's true)

Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Damn, that sounds like a ton of dough per week for one person. We eat out pretty regularly but I buy mostly organic or local for my family of 3 (plus a dog and some cats) and I only spend about $80 a week. I guess I'm a lot more frugal than most people.

I can't imagine spending $10 a week just on cat food. Do they eat caviar?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I could do it on $200 per month at Trader Joe's.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 PM

One thing is, being disabled, I don't cook much so eat those organic vegetarian Amy's Bowls for dinner, and steam kale and another veggie for dinner ....

I also eat a lot of nuts and seeds, which are expensive, along with organic soymilk.

And I eat a lot of fresh organic fruit and vegetables. Every morning I drink the juice of a whole lemon, and I drink a protein powder in apple cider daily.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Maybe Peapod is just a lot more expensive than other grocery stores that sell organic food ....

I also use a $10 jar of raw honey every week to make my daily pot of chai.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,483 times
I voted for $75-$100 because it's the lowest you provided.

I'm a pretty overweight lady, I eat well on a budget of about $250 a month.

No, I don't shop at Aldi, Food 4 Less or Save A Lot. If you only buy staples and in bulk (I bake a lot) and eat out less, your food spoils less often and you spend a lot more time at home

I shop at Target, Eurofresh, and Walmart for my groceries. Sometimes I will shop at Jewel or Dominick's. Maybe even Ultra in Cal Park.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
...My mother says it seems rediculous to spend any more than $100 / week...
Quote:
Maybe Peapod is just a lot more expensive than other grocery stores that sell organic food ....
I agree with your mother.

And yes, Peapod is way more expensive than shopping in stores. If you have no other choice than it can be a godsend though.

If you can find someone to shop at various stores for you and drop your groceries off-I am sure you can cut down your spending greatly.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-28-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Pea-pod all by itself is expensive. The vegan\vegetable thing can save money because meat is expensive. However the organic thing is expensive in two ways. One the food itself is more expensive and two lacking preservatives(like wax coating) the food just does not last as long.

I would look into seeing if there is an way around pea-pad. For instance, if you have a homemaker they can shop for you. There maybe charities and organizations that can help the disabled either get out to shop or bring it in.

I would see if there are any local stores that can deliver to you or would be willing to deliver(it may be cheaper). I would also think about dropping the organic requirement on some items.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Have you thought about CSAs as well? I find them to be pretty pricey but if you use all of what you get they are a great deal for fruits and veggies.

The Local Beet: Chicago » 2009 CSA Guide

I liked New Leaf because they deliver year round.

Maybe this could eliminate some extra costs and you can just buy staples through Peapod. I use Amazon's subscribe and save for TP, paper towels, diapers, cat food, etc. They do not charge for shipping and you get an additional 15% from their list price if you schedule shipments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago