Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point to a single instance where a car alarm actually stopped a theft? They seem to be completely useless, but are a tremendous noise nuisance to anyone living in any urban area. I think it's time for a state-wide ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
I understand the nuisance point but there are such things as two way car alarms that alert you (your keychain) when someone knocks on your car are lifts the handle. If you have thousands of dollars invested in your car in aftermarket parts or accessories, then a car alarm is essential if you love your ride.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:05 AM

170 posts, read 535,955 times
The don't make me want to move away from the car. If anything, it makes me want to take a brick to it, even if my previous intention was to continue walking down the sidewalk. Most of the time I hear alarms go off in old clunkers that are disturbed when someone gets out of a nearby car and slams the door.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I understand the nuisance point but there are such things as two way car alarms that alert you (your keychain) when someone knocks on your car are lifts the handle. If you have thousands of dollars invested in your car in aftermarket parts or accessories, then a car alarm is essential if you love your ride.
That's fine but the only time I ever see anyone interacting with an alarmed car is when the owner forgets to press the button and sets it off themselves.

I don't know about you but I ignore them when I hear them, because usually there's nothing wrong.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Can anyone point to a single instance where a car alarm actually stopped a theft?
There has been a rash of car break-ins in my neighborhood. One night my sister was staying over at my house and her alarm was set off as someone was breaking into my neighbor's car. The police were called; the criminals spooked, and we have not had any car break-ins on my block since.

Whether it is a long term help or not remains to be seen; but it definitely served to scare them off that night.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
Ban would also be technically impractical , as many new models come with the alarm built-in.. Would the state mandate that every owner take their car in to have this disabled, and pay the expense ..?? Plus, the discount for having an alarm on ones insurance would be moot .. I think there's already a provision to be ticketed for 'nuisance' if one allows an alarm to blare continuously for hours ..

Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
That's fine but the only time I ever see anyone interacting with an alarmed car is when the owner forgets to press the button and sets it off themselves.

I don't know about you but I ignore them when I hear them, because usually there's nothing wrong.
That's a good point and fine and dandy. However, I have an ear out for my car's distinct alarm. Since it is after market, and a rare version, it sounds like no other car alarm around. If it is someone else's, true, I don't pay it any attention. But if it is mine, I'm running outside with a baseball bat.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 PM

122 posts, read 200,452 times
My husband has our car alarm set so it "chirps" if someone goes near it. Yes it is very sensitive but considering we have expensive equipment, we have a right to have a car alarm. We live near the Metra and freight trains and if the vibration from the trains are too heavy, our car alarm will go off and my husband promptly turns it off. We have a right to protect what is ours.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Tend to agree that car alarms are a public nuisance. I would venture that for every valid alarm incident, there are probably another 500 nuisance alarm instances.

The worst offenders are the alarms that go off every two minutes until stopped by the owner. If you can't show accountability and have respect for the neighbors within close earshot of the alarm, I would think the police should have authority to liberally ticket/tow the car as a public noise nuisance. Option B would be to hook an alarm sentinal into the auto owners house.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Ban would also be technically impractical , as many new models come with the alarm built-in.. Would the state mandate that every owner take their car in to have this disabled, and pay the expense ..?? Plus, the discount for having an alarm on ones insurance would be moot .. I think there's already a provision to be ticketed for 'nuisance' if one allows an alarm to blare continuously for hours ..
Unfortunately, that ticket is only $25 -- whiich they attach to the car and then drive off, leaving it to blare for several more hours. When the alarm keeps going off for no apparent reason, they really should tow the damn thing, especially when it's during sleeping hours.

A few years ago there was a Jeep parked in front of my place. Alarm kept going off, called the cops, they came and slapped a ticket on it and said "nothing more we can do." Eventually, someone on the block must have reasoned that the owner obviously isn't going to notice if anyone did anything to the car.... I woke up the next morning to find the driver's side window smashed and the hood popped -- presumably, the above someone got fed up and disconnected the battery.

Yep, that guy's car alarm sure served him well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago