Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times

Advertisements

Coldwine- warm yourself. You're talking about the wrong city(Sacramento). Who cares about Sacramento, which you're right. I'm talking about San Jose, which is downtown centric and the capital of Silicon Valley. Hang out in Downtown SJ, and you'll see throngs of people enjoying arts, theaters, cinemas, clubs, wine bars, comedy, pool hall, restaurants, and concerts while Dt. Chicago sleeps. Just check out San Jose, and you'll never forgive Chicago. Oh, San Francisco is not high tech capital, except only in New York media world.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:51 AM

422 posts, read 812,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
MassVt, I've been to Chicago about 5 times. They need to work on its downtown core, not the greater downtown neighborhoods, which weren't even included in downtown more than 15 years ago. Downtown is an embarrassment to the 3rd largest, soon to be 4th largest, city in the country. There's no amenity and the place is shockingly dead at night. I want a downtown centric city that's vibrant, not LA wannabe. That's what I want from Chicago: A city with a true and vibrant downtown that's surrounded by great hoods. The got the hoods part, not downtown.
In the census thread I explained why it is going to be a long time if ever that Houston surpasses Chicago. So unless you consider 30 years to be "soon" it will be awhile and even then only maybe because census trends rarely hold from decade to decade much less 30 years.

Also the Chicago loop is no different from lower Manhattan, both are primarily financial districts and not places with lots of nightlife. I suppose if you went to lower Manhattan you would say that NYC's downtown is dead compared to San Jose. Also downtown Chicago has seen an explosion of of population growth including in the Loop itself and compared to 20 years ago there is alot of around the clock activity there now and there are plans all the time of opening more businesses to cater to residents. In fact the Target they are going to put at State and Madison is supposed to include grocery items including produce.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Andrew61, that's exactly what I said. 15 years ago, Loop was the only area considered downtown, and Michigan Ave was considered Mag Mile and Gold Coast.
More like 40 years ago.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Tonythetuna, no, more like in the 80's and early 90's. I remember well.

Chicago103, that's right. Lower Manhattan is dead, too. As for Dt. Chicago, there's hope when Target opens at former Carson's. There's activity only when theaters are running with the exception of student population. Thank God for students, which is the savior of Downtown Chicago. Look at Downtown San Jose, a bunch of students hanging at the club scene. They're very happy. It's a feast. In Dt. Phoenix and Chicago, it's a famine, although Loop is not as bad as Dt. Phoenix-no way.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
What I want to see out of Chicago this decade:
- Lower crime rate, I want to see the murder rate parallel that of Austin, TX
- Less corruption, I want to see more transparent politics, I know hard to ask for but still
- More emphasis on education and getting kids involved to work harder and stay in school, ultimately improving schools
- To tear down the vacant tracts that turn into eye sores and start to clean the city up and take better care for it
- The Chicago Cubs to go to a World Series and win it (I'm not fan but this is ridiculous)
- Chicago's economy maintain economic diversity but also become far more innovative
- Chicago's Pedway System to follow the mold of Montreal Underground and try to build something more so like that
- Chicago to add more recreational things, more skate parks and stuff like that, seriously more is needed
- Chicago to start acting serious and start becoming a corporate giant, expand the corporate base and do so in a effective manner
- Chicago to clean and maintain more of its streets, it needs to look better, I don't care how or why but I want to see them put it on their agenda or consideration regardless of finance
- Chicago to improve upon infrastructure, more effective and better mass transit, improve customer service, and to improve the quality of life in general
- Chicago to stop freaking about population loss, and work more on getting vacancy rate down
- Chicago to get a larger role in the film industry and get its name out even more, so much to promote of such a great city

I realize a lot of my visions wont ever become a reality, but these are the things that I would like Chicago to try or at least consider improving upon, seriously.
Quote:
They're very happy. It's a feast. In Dt. Phoenix and Chicago, it's a famine, although Loop is not as bad as Dt. Phoenix-no way.
I thought you liked Chicago more than New York, Los Angeles, & Philadelphia?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Tonythetuna, no, more like in the 80's and early 90's. I remember well.
I remember better.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 AM

Danny, I do. I like the neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Wrigley, Lincoln Park, Westside, River North, Michigan Ave and Hyde Park. I reinterate, Chicago is way more fun than New York. However, with that said, I'm surprised that you're not asking for its downtown(loop) to improve with more amenities and add nightlife to the area. If San Jose can do it, putting all those stuffs even it has housing with people living there, then Chicago should do so. There are alot of nightlife in Dt. San Jose, as you've seen, but there are also people living there, too. It shouldn't be a problem. When I was downtown Chicago, I felt that everyone has left or leaving after 9 Pm Fri., and I felt it was dead and lonely. I'm not in the right part of the town to enjoy the actions. I guess the students living in the Loop feel the same way. Also, I mentioned there's no grocery and other essential things we take for granted. In Dt. SJ, as you've seen, it's all covered and adequate. I want Chicago to be like that, too. There is no reason for it to be lagging since you're not in Yosemite.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,694 times
Downtown dying at 9 PM? Try 5 PM. Seems that way for me. I guess it's a lot different in the warmer months though. And I'm also just thinking about the Loop mainly. I guess it's not really the case for the areas right above the Chicago river.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Yep, in the summertime around September. The Loop(main and orginal downtown area). You have to go north of the river or even west of the river(West Loop) for actions and fine dinings.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM

I guess this is touchy subject for Danny or Omshahi since this is his hometown. He knows that I'm right or he would have let me have it. However, the loop is nowhere as bad as Phoenix or Houston since there's good number of highrises, especially recently. It looks respectful and it still use more development on the remaining surface lots(close to library and few by the river west area). The downtown has State St. shopping(ok, not great. Oh, don't forget the mostly empty Block 37) and theaters. It also has growing cupcakes, fast foods and kabob places. That's way better than Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Houston and slightly better than Dt. LA. As for the rest of the city, it's fun, and the food is great. Gee, I love Gino East and Lou Manatti. I like hanging out at Wrigleyville. The girls are cool, and I love those hot dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago