U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 PM

18 posts, read 75,003 times

Advertisements

Coming to Chi-Town for New Years Eve and want to be in a hotel that has a really nice city view. I've already stayed in the new Trump (was nice, but I like staying in new places)

Please let me know from your experience or knowledge in a hotel I can not go wrong with as far as the view ...

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM

212 posts, read 638,983 times
Swissotel is really nice and right on the river. Just make sure you ask for a room with a view. It can be really nice at night with a view of the river, navy pier, and the fireworks (near navy pier).

Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,220,082 times
manchesterUnited beat me to it, but even the Swissotel does have some rooms that are too low or look the wrong way, they try to put "full boat" guests in the better rooms and "priceline rack fillers" in the rest but I have gotten really nice rooms there a few times for ridiculous discounts by waiting till the last minute... Downtown Chicago Hotels, Illinois Luxury Accommodations & Reservations - Swissotel Chicago The trick is to make sure that they have enough unspoken for rooms that they throw them to priceline...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM

212 posts, read 638,983 times
Both times I've stayed at Swissotel (now I live in Chicago) I got the room for under $100 bucks on Hotwire, and I had a great room. I did ask for a high room with a view each time though.

Worst case, go to the bar near the top of John Hancock for a superb view at night.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,665,852 times
I stay in the Hilton downtown sometimes

Hilton Chicago Illinois - Downtown Chicago Hotel - Chicago, IL Hotels

Sometimes just being there looking at it is awesome! Like the guy before me said, ask for a room on a higher level, although I have never asked for accommodations like that.

Or when I'm really feeling it I go for this:

Downtown Chicago Accommodations & Luxury Illinois Hotel Lodging & Suites - Park Hyatt

The Hyatt on Michigan Ave!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM

467 posts, read 1,727,942 times
Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

View from the Cityscape Bar:

Flickr: Mart Plaza's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10351343@N04/ - broken link)

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM

28,461 posts, read 76,220,082 times
Lots of retouching / Photoshopping, but the site is kinda neat, the buffet there was definitely all about the view. Problem is during the day those windows get a lot of southern light /glare and unlike the super shot above you get "squinty views".
Evenings there is not nearly as much light gathered by eyes as in the retouched photo, and humans do not have wide angle lenses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago