Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
We searched extensively and our current apt. in Albany Park was the best we could come up with when we combined price, location to public transit, and commute to and from work.

That is great you found a great deal on Marine Dr. Many factors go into finding such a deal. Unfortunately, those deals arent always there when you need them.
well, it was a few years back and we've all heard about a tightening rental market, so i guess it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well I came from Indianapolis where I lived in the nicer area for apts and paid about $750. Right now in Chicago I'm paying $800 for a studio in Lakeview. I think if you compared a one or two bedroom apt in a trendy are in St. Louis to one in Lakeview they would be closer in price than you think.
Soulard is about as trendy as it gets in St. Louis, maybe closely behind the Central West End and Washington Ave. The Apt. we had was a steal. You are currently paying 800 for a studio in a trendy neighborhood in Chicago while I was paying similar price for a 2 level / 2 bed / 1.5 bath / in unit laundry / recently renovated in St. Louis.

Can you find affordable apartments in Chicago? Absolutely, I live in one. You must simply be willing to sacrifice certain things if you are looking to spend the same price as you were doing in a medium sized city.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
Soulard is about as trendy as it gets in St. Louis, maybe closely behind the Central West End and Washington Ave. The Apt. we had was a steal. You are currently paying 800 for a studio in a trendy neighborhood in Chicago while I was paying similar price for a 2 level / 2 bed / 1.5 bath / in unit laundry / recently renovated in St. Louis.

Can you find affordable apartments in Chicago? Absolutely, I live in one. You must simply be willing to sacrifice certain things if you are looking to spend the same price as you were doing in a medium sized city.
good post

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:

I just did a search for apts in Soulard and the average one bedroom is around $600 and a lot higher. Basically the exact price difference I spoke of earlier. Thats not that big of a difference per month, especially compared to what you get in a City like Chicago.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I'm calling B.S. on this one. At least from personal experience. I have

St. Louis:

Soulard
4 Flat 950 sq ft 2 bedroom, 2 level, 1.5 bath, exposed brick, in unit laundry. 725 a month. Building was in above average shape.

Soulard
4 flat, 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom, 2 level, 1.5 bath, exposed brick, vaulted ceilings on 1st level, in unit laundry hookup. 750 a month. Very well maintained and completely renovated prior to moving in.

Chicago:

Albany Park

575 sq. ft attic, 1 bath, 1 bedroom, A shaped ceiling so much of the square footage is not usable. 850 a month. Laundry shared between 3 units Apartment is in very good shape.

Rogers Park

600 sq ft studio right off the lake. Building was in very poor shape. 775 a month
If you were paying 850 a month to live in an attic in Albany park, you were getting ripped off and must not have shopped around much. I was looking at 2-bedroom apartments in the 1000sqft range in Albany Park for about that much. And of course you're going to pay more to live "right off the lake," even in Rogers Park.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
We searched extensively and our current apt. in Albany Park was the best we could come up with when we combined price, location to public transit, and commute to and from work.

That is great you found a great deal on Marine Dr. Many factors go into finding such a deal. Unfortunately, those deals arent always there when you need them.
It's all timing. It sucks you couldn't find anything better, but they do exist. Perhaps when you were looking, most of them were taken. Afterall, places don't advertise as having open apartments when they're all full..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I just did a search for apts in Soulard and the average one bedroom is around $600 and a lot higher. Basically the exact price difference I spoke of earlier. Thats not that big of a difference per month, especially compared to what you get in a City like Chicago.
Compare Square footage, neighborhood in chicago that compares to soulard, in unit laundry, parking, and condition of apartment.

When you compare those things there is a huge difference.

Please see my previous comment. Can you find similar prices...absolutely. However, you are going to have to sacrifice size, quality, and some other perks.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's all timing. It sucks you couldn't find anything better, but they do exist. Perhaps when you were looking, most of them were taken. Afterall, places don't advertise as having open apartments when they're all full..
Correct, I was pretty happy with the price I got for the Rogers Park Studio as it was massive, was one block from the lake, and two blocks from the el. With that one, I had ample time to search for an apartment as I was already living here with a friend while searching.

The current Albany Park apartment was a bit more difficult. While we did search extensively online (craigslist and such) we only had a couple of days to actually look in Chicago.

I also think you were on to something when you mentioned how different the rental market has become in the past couple of years.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Did you use a rental agent? When you only have a couple days to look, using a rental agent is the best way to view a maximum amount of inventory in such a short period of time.

I looked at one of those "attic" apartments in Jefferson Park and thought to myself, "who the hell lives in places like this, Keebler elves??" And they wanted $900 for the place. Uhhh.... no.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you were paying 850 a month to live in an attic in Albany park, you were getting ripped off and must not have shopped around much. I was looking at 2-bedroom apartments in the 1000sqft range in Albany Park for about that much. And of course you're going to pay more to live "right off the lake," even in Rogers Park.
Lets break this down.

Quote:
If you were paying 850 a month to live in an attic in Albany park, you were getting ripped off and must not have shopped around much.
The only ones that I could find simply did not meet our needs when it came to being close to the eL. I just did a quick look on craigslist and found a couple near Pulaski, out of the area we were looking at. As it stands, we are only about a block and a half from the brown line.

Also, we looked at an apartment across the street from ours that was a 2 bedroom that was probably around 1100 square feet (estimate) for about 75 dollars more. The problem? Building was filthy and seemed in need of repair. Thus why we chose our current place. Its funny to assume someone was ripped off without having any idea of the lay out our condition of an apt. Well done.

Quote:
And of course you're going to pay more to live "right off the lake," even in Rogers Park.
Did I say otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago