Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times

Advertisements

Considering the nature of the growth in Will County, I highly doubt expanding 55 to 4+ lanes would do anything but provide a temporary reprieve in travel times. In a year or two, the travel times would return to their current level of gridlock.

As Skip said, you want to get to Chicago without sitting in traffic, take metra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Considering the nature of the growth in Will County, I highly doubt expanding 55 to 4+ lanes would do anything but provide a temporary reprieve in travel times. In a year or two, the travel times would return to their current level of gridlock.

As Skip said, you want to get to Chicago without sitting in traffic, take metra.
Disagree. Problem is, they will expand it to 4 lanes once the demand for 6 lanes occur. Expanding 294 to 4 lanes helped a lot. The reasoning of "We can't expand the capacity because it will just exeed capacity again in the near future" is a bunch of hooey. With that logic we would still be traveling on 2 lane country roads with no 4 lane roads or expressways. Chicago area has done a crappy job off keeping up with infrastructure needs and the capacity expansions have been lacking. There was a Burnham plan 100 years ago and subsequent plans that if fully implemented would have made getting around a lot easier. But between the NIMBY's and city-suburb turf wars many needed plans still lay on the drafting board

Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Nah...I get on the red line a block away, transfer to another train at Clark/Lake and get off in the Loop and walk another 1.5 blocks.

Max of 30 minutes if I just miss both trains I take and have to wait.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Disagree. Problem is, they will expand it to 4 lanes once the demand for 6 lanes occur. Expanding 294 to 4 lanes helped a lot. The reasoning of "We can't expand the capacity because it will just exeed capacity again in the near future" is a bunch of hooey. With that logic we would still be traveling on 2 lane country roads with no 4 lane roads or expressways. Chicago area has done a crappy job off keeping up with infrastructure needs and the capacity expansions have been lacking. There was a Burnham plan 100 years ago and subsequent plans that if fully implemented would have made getting around a lot easier. But between the NIMBY's and city-suburb turf wars many needed plans still lay on the drafting board
There's a plethora of studies, not to mention the reality of life in other large cities with extensive highway systems (LA, Atlanta, Miami) who have found themselves unable to highway themselves out of congestion.

Expanding highways results in longer and more frequent use of the road, until eventually the congestion equilibrium is reestablished.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I read somewhere that the Chicagoland has fewer expressway lane-miles per capita than any other metro area. I wish I could find the citation to back that up. Perhaps the crosstown expressway would have made things better?
I can believe that, sometimes it even seems like Minneapolis has more highway mileage than Chicago.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Quote:
There's a plethora of studies, not to mention the reality of life in other large cities with extensive highway systems (LA, Atlanta, Miami) who have found themselves unable to highway themselves out of congestion.

Expanding highways results in longer and more frequent use of the road, until eventually the congestion equilibrium is reestablished.
I've read some of these studies, and I am kind of skeptical that they don't consider anything on a broad enough scale. By this I mean that they will look at one road and determine that expanding it's capacity does not reduce traffic on that one road. My concerns that don't seem to be addressed in these highway expansion studies are:

What are the effects of expanding the highway's capacity on the entire highway system?

Maybe that road experiences just as much traffic as more cars "appear" as these studies always say, but does it reduce the traffic on other roads that are no longer carrying these cars.

What about expanding the capacity of the entire highway system on a broader scale?

Expanding one road may just be too small an effect, but it does seem like cities with a much more elaborate highway system for it's population (New York, Minneapolis) have less traffic than cities with much less (Chicago, Atlanta).

What about the economic effects?

A highway expansion causing more cars to "appear" may have some positive economic effect.

Just some things to think about.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:

Well my eyes see better traffic flow on 294 since they 4 laned it starting about 10 years ago. My eyes see much less gridlock going north south in DuPage county since the built 355 and took the gridlock off of IL 53. Friend who live in Lemont and Homer Glen tell me traffic is MUCH better since the 355 south extension was built. I see I-55 flowing better since they 3 laned it south of Weber Rd. The studies are biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago