Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

So what's the big deal with walking 4 blocks, that's like walking from Central to Austin, big deal.

Some people say they want to live in the city so they can walk but then hate if they have to walk. Then you have the people who like the EL but hate the bus, I don't get that.

I took the #12 bus up to Sid's at Roosevelt and Jefferson today and bought a Borsalino flat cap; then I walked 2 blocks to that greasy spoon at Canal, had lunch, took the #18 bus to Roosevelt and Michigan then walked two blocks home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So what's the big deal with walking 4 blocks...
Well in many cases nothing really.

In fact,I just walked 6 blocks back to my apartment from the grocery store with two bags in tow.

The difference between walking a half mile (especially at night) or a little more on the Near West Side near the United Center is a wee bit different than doing so in Bridgeport,Lake View, or South Loop. Would you not agree?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Is the United Center surronded by surface parking lots? Where was the old Chicago Stadium located?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well in many cases nothing really.

In fact,I just walked 6 blocks back to my apartment from the grocery store with two bags in tow.

The difference between walking a half mile (especially at night) or a little more on the Near West Side near the United Center is a wee bit different than doing so in Bridgeport,Lake View, or South Loop. Would you not agree?
Having taken public transit to the United Center more times than I care to recount, I can tell you from personal experience that there is ABSOLUTELY NO FREAKING PROBLEM getting in and out of there via CTA.

It is not scary, nor is it difficult, nor is it dangerous, and anybody who says it is is talking out their donkey.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
...It is not scary, nor is it difficult, nor is it dangerous...
The neighborhood is more than a bit shady around the United Center. If you claim it is not you are a liar.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Is the United Center surronded by surface parking lots? Where was the old Chicago Stadium located?
To a large degree yes. When you go a couple of blocks west of the Stadium there are a large number of residential buildings.

The Chicago Stadium was across the street basically right next to where the United Center was built.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
I always heard that the Old Chicago Stadium was in a very bad neighborhood. Has that changed today?

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I always heard that the Old Chicago Stadium was in a very bad neighborhood. Has that changed today?
You heard right. Madison Ave in that part of town was a "skid row" for a few decades.

It is better now than it was at its peak of crap in the late 80's/early 90's. Many old crap holes were torn down for parking lots. So there are not many buildings anymore within a block or two of the stadium.

But it is still plenty sketchy-especially west of it which is quite craptastic. East of the stadium has gotten much better. Even more so once you get a few blocks east of Ashland.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:27 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Overestimating is better than underestimating.
Bob Barker would disagree with you.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM

71 posts, read 189,777 times
The lack of a United Center station must be an issue because there is currently a proposal for a station there. I think it is part of the Circle Line proposal. And I think it makes a lot of sense to put a station there. (I think the circle line makes sense too, but that's a different discussion).

If the hole circle line thing is ever completed northsiders and southsiders would not have to go to the loop to get to the UC. If development continues to move west there could be a pretty vibrant UC neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago