Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas/neighborhoods where the entire place completely shuts down for Bears or Cubs games in Chicago?

I live in St. Paul where yes, the Vikings and Twins have a following, but when they're playing, outside of maybe seeing a few people walking around with jerseys, life generally just goes on as normal for most people. Heck, I'd say over half the people wouldn't even know a game is going on. Contrast this with Pittsburgh or Boston where during a Steelers or Red Sox game EVERYBODY is going crazy. Even when they're not playing, most people are talking about the teams. Go into a grocery store in Pittsburgh during the middle of a Steelers game and you'll literally be the only one there.

Anyways, I'm wondering if Chicago is more like the Twin Cities (or say Atlanta or Seattle) where sports are followed, but they aren't insane? Or is it more like Pittsburgh or Philly or Boston where everything seems to revolve around the teams? If the latter, what areas or neighborhoods would you describe as the most SPORTS CRAZY where all the bats and resteraunts seem to be jammed back with fans?

Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Are there any areas/neighborhoods where the entire place completely shuts down for Bears or Cubs games in Chicago?

I live in St. Paul where yes, the Vikings and Twins have a following, but when they're playing, outside of maybe seeing a few people walking around with jerseys, life generally just goes on as normal for most people. Heck, I'd say over half the people wouldn't even know a game is going on. Contrast this with Pittsburgh or Boston where during a Steelers or Red Sox game EVERYBODY is going crazy. Even when they're not playing, most people are talking about the teams. Go into a grocery store in Pittsburgh during the middle of a Steelers game and you'll literally be the only one there.

Anyways, I'm wondering if Chicago is more like the Twin Cities (or say Atlanta or Seattle) where sports are followed, but they aren't insane? Or is it more like Pittsburgh or Philly or Boston where everything seems to revolve around the teams? If the latter, what areas or neighborhoods would you describe as the most SPORTS CRAZY where all the bats and resteraunts seem to be jammed back with fans?

Just curious...
Lincoln Park and Lakeview come first to mind. You have a younger demographic, a lot of bars, and a lot of sports fans. Other than the area directly around Wrigley, I don't know if they "shut down" but the bars can get pretty crowded depending on the game and what's at stake.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Lake View. (Cubs) No question. No other neighborhood in the city comes anywhere close to the high level of activity of it.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Cubs are up there with one of the most popular baseball teams in the MLB, Sox obviously not as much but still have a good following in Chicago, Bears sell out every game, Bulls have had the best dynasty of all time, and currently the Hawks are the best team in the NHL and they once again have a huge fan base as they did a few years back. If this doesnt make us a huge sports city I dont know what does.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
The thing about here though is that there are SO MANY TEAMS to go around, so it makes for a completely different vibe than smaller sports cities like Pgh/StL/etc which are for the most part one trick ponies, with occasional flutterings of popularity when the other teams win (perfect example the St. Louis Rams in the Kurt Warner heyday vs today's Rams).

The Cubs Bears Bulls Hawks and Sox are all immensely popular, and then you add in the transplant population so every other bar in LP/Lakeview is a which-college-did-u-go-to-bar. So it feels like a sports potpourri. For example, a couple of years ago the Bears had a home game against some nobody team but the Steelers were playing a big game and I was wearing my Steelers jersey and some random person got confused and asked me if the Bears were playing the Steelers. Which I thought was kinda cool.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

. Contrast this with Pittsburgh or Boston where during a Steelers or Red Sox game EVERYBODY is going crazy. Even when they're not playing, most people are talking about the teams. Go into a grocery store in Pittsburgh during the middle of a Steelers game and you'll literally be the only one there.

Just curious...
You're right about Pgh when it comes to the Steelers, but trust me, only when they are winning. I attended to Cubs games about 5 years ago when they had no chance of making the playoffs, and it was still a sellout. Likewise when I was at Fenway. Cubs and Sox fans are the best IMHO.

If I was young and could afford it, I'd live near Wrigley. What a great atmosphere.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lake View. (Cubs) No question. No other neighborhood in the city comes anywhere close to the high level of activity of it.
It's always struck me as odd that Lake View should be home to both Boystown and Cubs-related crap. It's like a blight in an otherwise pristine forest of hip gay culture.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's always struck me as odd that Lake View should be home to both Boystown and Cubs-related crap. It's like a blight in an otherwise pristine forest of hip gay culture.
Well others would feel that "boystown" is the blight.

Lake View and Wrigley Field existed long before the gays were in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-08-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
OMG, I was having a great time in gay neighborhood!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago