Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,149,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbudsky View Post
Hyde Park is one of the safest areas in the city, but it is diverse and urban and IMO that's what makes people so uncomfortable. See Ms. Hyde Park: On O'Reilly and Why He's Wrong about the South Side of Chicago OR Ms. Hyde Park: Time Out Chicago wants to know: What's the matter with Hyde Park
Saying that Hyde Park is one of the safest neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago is not saying a whole whale of a lot. I think diverse neighborhoods are fine and I can live with that quite easily when there isn't a lot of crime going on in the area and the schools are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
I'm in Lincoln Park, which is just paradise, but I have family members in Hyde Park and when I visit them I feel safe, but it's not the same kind of inherent safety I have on the north side, where the streets are brightly lit and big crowds of well-behaved people surround me at all times. The safety down there depends much more on the dedicated police presence. It's very quiet at night, and being something of a free spirit, I think that would just put too much of a damper on my lifestyle. It fits well, though, with the high-achieving bookworm UChicago lifestyle.

I would really like to add that the 2 and 6 express buses are both very safe, almost as fast as Metra, and many, many times more frequent in their arrivals and departures. Plus they're cheaper and you can use your CTA card.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,311 times
While we're on the subject, I thought I'd share this "guide" that was just released by some UChicago students. It's a bit of a tl;dr, and much of it is only relevant to U of C students, but it includes some interesting views on Hyde Park's history and future. It's written by a leftist group of students who claim to be fighting "the forces of gentrification."

Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
It's written by a leftist group of students who claim to be fighting "the forces of gentrification."
Oh, I've seen "disorientation guides" by similar students dating back to the mid-90s. Thanks for the link, though; better reading than the alumni magazine...

And shrek, space and time really change things. Hyde Park in 2010 is worth a visit; you know not of what you speak.

Last edited by paytonc; 08-27-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Saying that Hyde Park is one of the safest neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago is not saying a whole whale of a lot. I think diverse neighborhoods are fine and I can live with that quite easily when there isn't a lot of crime going on in the area and the schools are good.
The reported crime that goes on in Hyde Park is on the same level as Lincoln Park. You can thank the high amount of polices who patrol the area and the First Family's home is nearby.

You can visit spotcrime.com and compare

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-27-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,149,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Oh, I've seen "disorientation guides" by similar students dating back to the mid-90s. Thanks for the link, though; better reading than the alumni magazine...

And shrek, space and time really change things. Hyde Park in 2010 is worth a visit; you know not of what you speak.
The last time I was in Hyde Park was back in the late 60s. My little puppy dog ate my new Mustang convertible steering wheel while I visited with a friend. Things always seem to go wrong when I visit Hyde Park.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,077 times
Okay, so as someone who lives there, but not as a *College* Student, i'll tell you the basic rules:
Stay south of 53rd street after dark, unless. I don't know about the south side of Hyde Park, but follow, and stay north of 63rd, it's what they are saying. Hyde Park is very easy to get out of, but the busses are often crowded.
Watch out north, it's where the "bad" stuff happens. Kenwood Academy is down there, stay away from north of there after dark, especially if you're alone. Also, don't go in any of the parcs at night, basic city stuff. Stay on the main streets. It's a VERY nice neighborhood during the day.
Now, just so you know, the worst thing that can happen within Hyde Park is you getting mugged for your wallet, but you should know that every time I got mugged, the cops decided they didn't have to show up. So use common sense. Stay clear of alleys, but streets are fine, no dangerous corners or anything.
There ARE murders in Hyde Park, but it's always gang-related, and very rare. No random mugging that turned bad. Also, the "gang" members stay clear of college kids most of the time. Most of the trouble comes from high school kids from around Hyde Park and within.
If you take the L (red line especially), make sure you are within rush hours, because outside of those, it can get dangerous very quickly.

All of this was told from a first hand experience of Hyde Park.
And, when it gets hot, expect to hear sirens 24/7.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,665 times
What's wrong with Kenwood Academy?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,107 times
Anyone else see this shooting at/around 57th St. beach come down the newswire? Holiday, heat bring out violence - Chicago Breaking News

Quote:
The next shooting happened about 11:15 p.m. on the 5700 block of South Lake Shore Drive, police said. Preliminary reports stated a 22-year-old woman was walking with her friend to the 57th Street Beach restrooms when they heard a group of males arguing, Kubiak said. They heard shots and took off running. When the victim's friend look behind, she saw her lying face down on the ground.

Another victim, a 17-year-old boy also was shot at the same location, police said. He collaborated the witnesses' account. His mother took him to Provident Hospital of Cook County with a wound to his leg.

The woman is in very critical condition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Police earlier erroneously reported that she had died.
To you Hyde Park residents and regulars, is this a little too close for comfort? Or are all bets off since it was parkland, after dark, outside of the street grid (and a warm weekend holiday night besides)? Is this an aberration or not too surprising? And where was the police presence?; was this a fast developing incident that slipped through the net, or do the University cops not pay too much attention to areas east of LSD?

If the unfortunate girl happened to be connected with UChicago, I'm sure we'll read more about this incident soon. Otherwise, sad to say, probably not.

Also, how is 57th St beach these days, on busy days, during the daylight hours? Is there a feeling of safety and order generally?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Another victim, a 17-year-old boy also was shot at the same location, police said. He collaborated the witnesses' account. His mother took him to Provident Hospital of Cook County with a wound to his leg.

I don't have anything useful to add, just that the word that should be used is corroborated, not collaborated. Bad writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago