Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,223,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I don't have anything useful to add, just that the word that should be used is corroborated, not collaborated. Bad writing.
Yep. Whatever happened to that 'bad news-writing of Chicago' thread we used to have? This would make a great addition. And, it's sad that we even have to have such a thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
Hyde Park is to me the best neighborhood in the city. Stay away from 47th street and Ellis And Drexel. Very Dangerous around there. Its a Gang War. Pray for the kids safety for King High School. They are in the midst of it.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 AM

427 posts, read 459,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesgurl View Post
Hyde Park is to me the best neighborhood in the city. Stay away from 47th street and Ellis And Drexel. Very Dangerous around there. Its a Gang War. Pray for the kids safety for King High School. They are in the midst of it.
Why is it the best neighborhood in the city to you even though it is so close to crap neighborhoods? Please elaborate.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 23,463 times
Rapid retreats to the panic room at the first sign of the sun's setting rays. Convoys of campus shuttles dodging IEDs. Flesh eating Zombie's that only retreat when Kant's crap is read in a faux German accent for hours on end. Welcome to hyde park.

Sorry if that was stupid, but there seem to be a lot of histrionics and hysterics on this thread (esp. earlier) and I'm bored.

Anyways, having lived in Hyde Park for the past year, figured I'd throw in my two cents. I never felt unsafe in Hyde Park. Granted, I wasn't pushing one of those Cadillac strollers that are worth more than my car at 2am up cottage grove. But, the streets I traversed frequently (roughly the midway near campus or 57thish elsewhere) up to 51st and between ellis and Cornell were fine at all hours for me. Of course, the later it got, I'd try to stick to main streets like 53rd/57th, lake park, etc.

The muggings that do tend to happen seem (only speaking from my experience) to be concentrated south of the midway or occasionally on smaller side streets late at night. Nothing too shocking, though...

Also, though people will call likely call me an idiot, I took the red line and 55 many many times at all hours when I didn't want to pay for - or couldn't afford - a cab. I never had a problem, though the 6 or metra are preferable on the weekends if you head back early enough. Also, there is a campus shuttle that runs through 4amish on weekends (every 30 mins or so) from Roosevelt red line to campus. Safe ride shuttle runs throughout the campus until roughly 4 to 5am on all weekends and weekdays.

Just use common sense and any street smarts you may have. Each situation, regardless of how many times you think you may have confronted it, is different. Recognize that and don't be afraid to walk away from something you're not comfortable with.

Like I said, though, I'm no expert on this stuff.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 AM

7,102 posts, read 8,874,642 times
I cant believe that people are questioning the safety of hydepark.I've lived in the neighborhood for 2 years and not once I mean not once felt threatened! However, there are some areas outside of Hydepark I would never step into anytime of day or night.

Advantages of the area includes access to the uncrowded lakefront, good restaurants awsome festivals all around one of the safest and most cosmopolitan neighborhoods in the city.

The disadvantages are lack of retail. No Target our major retailer to purchase everyday goods our clothing. Bus service to and from downtown is ok at best but often crowded with service issues on the #6 and 2. (but the metra is good). No nightlife! I think its that way by design.

I've heard that a 24 hour Clarks is on its way along with a 400 theater and Wholefoods. There is still no sign of retail from what I've heard.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,559,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I cant believe that people are questioning the safety of hydepark.I've lived in the neighborhood for 2 years and not once I mean not once felt threatened! However, there are some areas outside of Hydepark I would never step into anytime of day or night.

Advantages of the area includes access to the uncrowded lakefront, good restaurants awsome festivals all around one of the safest and most cosmopolitan neighborhoods in the city.

The disadvantages are lack of retail. No Target our major retailer to purchase everyday goods our clothing. Bus service to and from downtown is ok at best but often crowded with service issues on the #6 and 2. (but the metra is good). No nightlife! I think its that way by design.

I've heard that a 24 hour Clarks is on its way along with a 400 theater and Wholefoods. There is still no sign of retail from what I've heard.
What's Clarks?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM

867 posts, read 1,363,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Is the new theatre going to be placed where the old one was?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM

427 posts, read 459,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What's Clarks?
I imagine he is talking about the diner Clarke's that has a couple locations from the north side.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Is the new theatre going to be placed where the old one was?
Yes

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
I imagine he is talking about the diner Clarke's that has a couple locations from the north side.
Your right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago