Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times

Advertisements

Eevee,

I drive from that area and it takes me 20 mins. To take a bus including walking to the pulaski stop and waiting for the bus and then waiting for the train would take 40-45 mins, too long. Plus, it is cold and I work in banking downtown and would be a target for my nice WHP neighbors.

North of grand is a different world than division but still not an area I would walk around in, though you are perfectly safe at Jimmys (kitchen staff have guns).

I hope EHP is working out better for you. I am going to rent my unit out and move to Oak Park. Humboldt Park is to dangerous for my girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Yeah, I waited at the Pulaski bus stop on Lake Street once after riding the Green Line out there. You'd have thought I had a third eyeball on my chin the way people were staring at me. Some interesting characters came and went at the convenience store on that corner...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,481 times
I thought the biggest thing holding back West Humbolt Park was the gangs and drive by shootings.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
I thought the biggest thing holding back West Humbolt Park was the gangs and drive by shootings.
Those are probably the two biggest reasons that WH is so troubled, but the area has really taken a huge hit as far as jobs go. Just a little west of WH proper was once home to thousands of manufacturing jobs. Most are long gone now.

There has been some retail development in recent years, but not nearly enough to make a big difference.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM

The biggest thing holding back WHP is the current population living there. Gentrification will not be coming there anytime soon, displacing residents as has been going on east of Humboldt Park (the park itself) in West Town, Bucktown, and Wicker Park, and in the eastern parts of Logan Square.

Right or wrong, many of the current residents of WHP are poor and uneducated with few prospects (has nothing to do with race). This allows gangs and crime to flourish. Plus, we have created a system where people can live off the govt via food stamps, Section 8, and welfare, where people do not have an incentive to improve themselves. Until this changes, or we move the existing population out, these areas will be slow to improve.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I hope EHP is working out better for you. I am going to rent my unit out and move to Oak Park. Humboldt Park is to dangerous for my girlfriend.
Moving to Oak Park? Welcome to the neighborhood.

(PS, I'm the poster formerly known as s u k w o o)

Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Not all neighborhoods with good transit access are successful. Garfield Park and Austin have pretty easy el access via the green and blue lines and they have even worse crime than West Humbolt Park.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Default Not all about public transit

It is more about the populations of those living in those neighborhoods. The worst parts of Humboldt Park are as you approach Garfield Park to the south and Austin to the west.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it's not that hard to get downtown from WHP. just take the Pulaski bus down to the green line and hop on the train. I used to live near Division and Pulaski and it took about 35-45 minutes door to door to get to the Library stop.
Eeek. It takes 15-20 minutes to get downtown from the inner ring 'burbs. May as well just live in Tinley Park. That's likely a big reason why it hasn't taken off yet. It wouldn't solve the other problems but it will most certainly, for starters, need better public transit service to compete with the areas that are and will be gentrifying.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Why I am moving to Oak Park

Easy commute and safe, nice area is why I am moving to Oak Park. On the metra it is 16 mins downtown and on the green line it is 20 mins. I will be 2 blocks from both stations.

Plus, Oak Park is a great community where I may look to buy a single family house and settle down and even has good schools where I could raise a family.

Garfield Park and Austin have some parts with great access to the Green and Blue lines, but really suck. Is this because of lack of train access or the areas being poverty stricken hell holes. I will go with the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago