Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
To answer OP, I personally think Chicago is a bargain for what you get. It is far cheaper than any of the major coastal cities, yet you get most of the benefits.
This is very true. There aren't many cities in the US that have a similar style of urban living - NYC, Boston, SF, DC, and LA are the ones that are most similar. Compared to all of those Chicago is very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM

87 posts, read 80,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
This is very true. There aren't many cities in the US that have a similar style of urban living - NYC, Boston, SF, DC, and LA are the ones that are most similar. Compared to all of those Chicago is very affordable.

Chicago is ranked more expensive than all those cities...except L.A.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Prolly pulled from this, which has Chicago at 84 days. The list "does not include Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy days", which means Miami ends up with just 74 days of sunshine.
Yeah. That is what I figured. People love to massage the facts. Especially the obsessive anti-Chicago trolls.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah. That is what I figured. People love to massage the facts. Especially the obsessive anti-Chicago trolls.
Sure. Tom Skilling is well known for "massaging" the facts. Those creepy weathermen.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
...BUT...Chicago has an average of only about 80 ...in an entire year...that are considered sunny days...
...and according to Atrill's link Miami gets 74.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
..."massaging" the facts...
I was talking about you.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Why?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
...Especially the obsessive anti-Chicago trolls.

City vs. City:

1/15/10

Quote:
Yeah, Chicago is the type of "modern" city that throws up tall, disgusting towers that are more of a hinderance to society than anything positive...
1/15/10

Quote:
That's not something to be proud of, Mr. Bum-A-Ride.
Above post was in response to j33:
"For the record, I've lived in Chicago without a car for much of my adult life (and I'm in late 30's)."

1/15/10

Quote:
sarcasm???????? You are apparently impressed by your own photos of Chicago. *clap* I don't think much of them personally. Where is the natural beauty? Where is the architectural beauty for that matter?

Please spare me any shots of the polluted Lake Michigan shoreline or any nearby cornfields. The only building of any real substance shown in your photos is the old Wrigley Building. Very nice.

Why is it when Chicago and other cities build a supertall skyscraper, it is ugly as sin? Bland glass and steel monstrosities. Tall but incredibly boring. Sober, flat topped utilitarian towers.

And yes, Chicago is overun by the strip mall and chain stores. Chicago is not immune. Don't even get me started on Chicago's sprawling metro!
Modern architecture on the whole is overrated in my opinion...and some others I would guess!!
HMMM let me guess. I BET YOU LIVE IN OR ARE FROM N.Y. or somewhere else on the East Coast.

Quote:
Too broad a subject. Favorite big city to visit is New York. Favorite smaller city is Nashville. Favorite for sports is Philly. Favorite for food is San Francisco.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Ooooooo you can operate the "find all posts" feature...Oooooooo impressive. Not sure of your point here^^. I'm not allowed to dislike certain cities or enjoy others more??? If I offer someone advice about Chicago why must it be turned into a battle? You are the troll...duh.
I notice you didn't quote any of the hundreds of my posts that are not related to Chicago one bit. Oh that's right. You can't quote them because they don't exist I only have about 30. I obviously don't care for Chicago after living there for 23 years. I moved on to the northward years ago to get away from that festering hole. The OP wanted an opinion about expense in Chicago and obviously quality of life factors into expense, and obviously weather is a quality of life issue for many, many people. Drop the tone, minnie mouth.

Last edited by linicx; 01-18-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Stick to the City vs. City forum. We really do not need you in this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago