Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,281,631 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you're from, but the taxes are high all across Chicagoland suburbs pretty much.
Winter in Chicagoland kind of stinks, because we normally don't get enough of an enduring snow cover to enable anyone to do much of any kind of outdoor activities, like cross country skiing, snowmobiling, making snowmen, etc. So basically it is a bunch of freezing and thawing all winter long just enough to keep you indoors cause of the temps.
And all the salt on the roads ruins your car. Some winters are worse than others, this past one was pretty bad because it was longer, destroyed a lot of my garden plants.
That's my take...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,767,822 times
Well my husband is a pilot and will be interviewing for a job flying out of Chitown (Wakeegon) sp? As of right now we have no plans to re-locate, that is until/if he get's offered the job. Schools are of a great importance, we'd like a decent sized home with a small yard, yet not have our neighbors so close we can see them though their windows So a family oriented area with great schools and hip little restaurants is our goal, as well as semi-close to the airport.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,767,822 times
Default taxes

I live in the bay area. However, I've lived in WY, ID, and UT...all of which are very cold in the winter, yet have plenty of snow to play in. UT used salt for the roads and ID and WY used sand...both are pretty brutal on your car, but much needed!!

Anyone know the percentage of property taxes from county to county? And the sales tax for that matter? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:28 AM

45 posts, read 256,828 times
Talking I'm a hot weather girl, admittedly.

I had one winter in Chicago. That was enough.

I've lived all over the east and west coast, but the weather made me hightail it outta there. And fast. Its really not the snow, its the bonechilling cold. I always told everyone it reminded me of Moscow--COLD for 7.5 months, decent for 2 weeks, HOT for 3 months, decent for 2 weeks.

On the plus side, if you like having lots of coats, jackets, hats and scarves, Chicago offers a great opportunity of accesorization!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lululoo View Post
I had one winter in Chicago. That was enough.

I've lived all over the east and west coast, but the weather made me hightail it outta there. And fast. Its really not the snow, its the bonechilling cold. I always told everyone it reminded me of Moscow--COLD for 7.5 months, decent for 2 weeks, HOT for 3 months, decent for 2 weeks.

On the plus side, if you like having lots of coats, jackets, hats and scarves, Chicago offers a great opportunity of accesorization!
Cold for 7.5 months? Who are you trying to kid? More like cold for 4.5 months at best, and even in there its quite nice at times. Super cold spells dont last more than a week, and if they do its a rare event. Most of winter I get by in just a coat and some light gloves. Only when it gets really cold do I bust out the hat and thick gloves and snowboarding jacket.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM

335 posts, read 1,432,255 times
in my very limited experience (talking to friends from chicago and elsewhere), it's mainly the lifelong midwesterners that think chicago winters aren't that cold. more power to them, but i know there are other places where people understand that winter isn't supposed to be this painful.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 AM

358 posts, read 1,913,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
in my very limited experience (talking to friends from chicago and elsewhere), it's mainly the lifelong midwesterners that think chicago winters aren't that cold. more power to them, but i know there are other places where people understand that winter isn't supposed to be this painful.
There is almost always a trade off. If you don't get that winter, you will get an overly hot summer. This goes for much of the world, unless you have the pleasure or displeasure of living in those oceanic climates like on the west coast. Hard to say that the hotter southern US climates are much better, considering how much time people there spend hiding indoors or in their air conditioned cars, with their +200 pound bodies

Anyway, Chicago only has three cold months. Dec, Jan, and Feb. Every other month has average highs over 45F and average lows above freezing. There are seven months where the average high is at least 60F.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
The snow in Chicago does not affect driving too badly due to the flatness of the terrain. However, I have noticed that successfully navigating the streets does depends on one's driving skills. I have driven other people's cars in the alley behind my house when they considered themselves stuck!

The temperture part depends on what a person can stand. Before moving to Chicago I lived in an area for four years and in that time it snowed only twice. Now, I make it through the winter and the heater in my car is non-functional. People in Chicago just soldier on.

As for fun in the snow, folks do a little cross-country skiing. Joggers never let the weather keep them indoors.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:30 PM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times
I'd rather pay 600k for a fixer upper in san fran any day of the week over 600k for a three story etc.etc in the north pole, chicago.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times
lol....like 4.5 months is any better! ROTF WITH THAT ONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago