Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
While I was suffering from the Southern heat, Chicago was very pleasant. I can't wait to move there from the HOT, HOT south. There are trade-offs for horrible Midwestern winters and horrible Southern summers!
I agree. I thought IL was hot in the summer until I moved to TN. Good grief was that miserable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM

62 posts, read 200,708 times
"Jesus Herbert Walker Christ, it's cold." LOL. That was me on Tuesday. I am a Texan...grew up in San Antonio. I was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans most of the day that day. It was just bizarre!

Italian Beef...yum. Definitely a Chicago thing and something I discovered on my first trip up here prior to moving.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,307,261 times
I didn't realize Italian beefs were chicago til I moved away!! always was a staple at my house...I never liked them that much until I craved them when i was away!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,777,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You would if you lived in upstate NY, Maine, VT, NH, MN, WI, MI, ND, etc.

Chicago weather is very similar to some of these places. I would never say Chicago had better weather than any of these places. Chicago has that Upper Midwest weather. ....Indy, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland Pittsburgh etc...have very similar weather.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree. I thought IL was hot in the summer until I moved to TN. Good grief was that miserable!

Everyone has different opinions. Some people prefer severe cold to super hit and humid. ...if given an extreme choice, and some would prefer the opposite. I would like neither but I would always prefer hot and humid over super cold any day of the week, if I had to pick one.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I didn't realize Italian beefs were chicago til I moved away!! always was a staple at my house...I never liked them that much until I craved them when i was away!
Italian Beefs are a Chicago thing....but mo nowhere near as big in Chicago as say Phillycheese steaks in Philly etc...Many people in Chicago don't eat at Italian beef sammie places.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,668,349 times
Default Defending fishtacos' weather-related points

Steve-O (and others) -

I just had to chime in here. I am a native Milwaukeean...grew up there from birth for 27+ years. Have lived in Albuquerque, NM for about 4 years, but love Milwaukee so much that I am in the process of moving back.

Now Steve-O, as you've seen in previous posts of mine, I LOVE Milwaukee (and I know this is a Chicago forum not a Milwaukee one, but I am referencing Milwaukee because it is an hour away from Chicago with the same weather). So you know that I LOVE the upper Midwest and am actually leaving one of the great climates in the entire country likely - Albuquerque - to head back to the upper Midwest.

However, I have to say from first-hand experience that fishtacos is absolutely 100% right about there being no comparison between Chicago/(Milwaukee) winters to southern winters. You seem to know Albuquerque pretty well, and due to our 5,000 foot elevation, you are right - places like Albuquerque (I know you cited Atlanta but our winter temps aren't terribly different from ATL's) - get our cold stretches in winter for sure. I have had a few days down here in 4 years where the high temps never broke the 30s and plenty of winter days where the temps never broke the lower 40s. I have had plenty of nights in winter that fell into the 20s, teens, and even some single digits (although that is admittedly pretty rare here).

Heck, this winter, we got 30 inches of snow here!!! Which is a once-in-a-millenium type of winter here in a town that averages roughly 7-to-10 inches.

So yes, there are many places in the south, outside of coastal cities and low-elevation deserts, that get cold snaps, snow, ice storms, etc., in the winter.

But winters in Albuquerque are in NO WAY comparable to winters in Chicago / Milwaukee. Sure...you can pick out some select days or weeks where it'll be cold here (or elsewhere in the south) and it won't be bad in the upper Midwest. But considering the length of the winter, the consistency of the cold/grayness of winter, etc., Chicago/Milwaukee is just far tougher in the winter.

Here is a good indicator:

-Golf in Albuquerque (or in other southern cities) is generally a year-round sport. Sure, there are some days in the winter in ABQ (or other southern cities) where it is too cold, snowy, icey, etc., to play golf. However, the courses will be open the next day. You can count on the courses open every day unless weather cancels it (like maybe severe t-storms do in the midwest in summer). However, in Chicago/Milwaukee, etc., golf season ends in early November and doesn't resume until April.

I also agree about fishtacos about spring.

I have ALWAYS said about my beloved Milwaukee - my least favorite "season" there is spring! I could easily deal with frigid cold, gray, snowy winters from Thanksgiving until early March, (in some regards it is how winter to me is "supposed to be")...however, then come early March, I want to see leaves start to grow on trees, blossoms, flowers, etc. But as someone correctly pointed out, you don't see that until the end of April in Chicago, and the beginning of May in Milwaukee. Spring is when things should grow...and that doesn't happen until late in the MKE/CHI area.

I can say all of these things with confidence because I am a native Milwaukeean so I have lived it myself...and again, I love the area.

I remember though last year I was there visiting in mid-May - yes, mid-May - and all weekend there was a massive glob of Arctic cold hovering over Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, and I think Minneapolis...we were all in the lower-40s and miserable...and if you looked at national weather maps, everyone else was in the 70s, 80s, etc., it was a hare discouraging and depressing. Stuff like that happens more often in the Milwaukee/Chicago area than anywhere else in the spring.

Hey, I love the upper Midwest, and I think it has tons of things going for it. But I just cannot try to with a clear conscience or with a tone of credibility try to talk up Chicago/Milwaukee's weather - especially from November though early May - in comparison to most other cities in the U.S.

Having said that, summers in Chicago/Milwaukee are AWESOME! Much nicer than most other places in the nation. Nothing is better than hanging out on Lake Michigan in either Chicago or Milwaukee on a sun-drenched day in July, or heading on a similar day to Wrigley Field or Miller Park for a ballgame with a cold beer.

Falls in Milwaukee and Chicago are also awesome. Falls, unlike springs, can last longer, and are generally drier, sunnier, and crisp. I believe September may be the nicest month in CHI/MKE, and Octobers and even parts of November can be very nice. I went to a Notre Dame football game in South Bend (near Chicago) a few years ago in mid-November when the temps were in the mid-60s...no clouds...it was just perfect. Of course, that night a massive cold front ran through and the next day it was gray, wind gusts of 40+ mph, very cold (low 40s) and miserable. But oh well.

I just had to chime in here and somewhat stick up for fishtaco's points on the weather.

Steve-O, you know I love Milwaukee with all my heart, and again, I am moving to the MKE-CHI region again hopefully very soon, so I can easily attest that there are many, many things going for the region and, in my opinion, can even supercede weather. But coming from a gorgeous climate where all four seasons do still exist (including winters with cold stretches at times) I just have to admit that winter/springs in Chicago/Milwaukee are indeed overall pretty rough.

The best way to break it down (at least in my opinion) in overall averages / generalities in the Chicago/Milwaukee area:

-May through Thanksgiving (GREAT weather)
-Thanksgiving through end of April (BAD weather)

I know a TON of people in the Milwaukee area - including my good friends, family, relatives, etc. - who sound alot like you on the winter/spring weather. They'll be overly-defensive about it and are very sensitive about it. I don't know quite why that is, but you are not the only one at all. Many of my friends/family who are overly sensitive about the crummy weather months have no spent time in nicer winter climates and I almost think they somewhat deep down begrudge those that do. It is just weird to that area...I know here in ABQ, if it is snowing, cold, etc., people will just moan about it and won't try to defend it in the least. However, in Milwaukee-Chicago, when it is like that, people will defend their bad weather almost to death, like defending a family member!

Chicago (and Milwaukee) have tons of naturally good things going for them - a great lakeside setting, beautiful summers and falls, nice greenspaces, etc. - in addition to the great sports venues, universities, etc. So I think there is no harm in admitting yes, S.A.D. does exist up here in January or March if you don't stay a little active!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 PM

EnjoyEP.

Out of curiosity whaqt are the things you like and dislike in Albuquerque and similarities and differences that strike you most between say Albuquerque and Chciago or Milwaukee etc...

(I've lived in many different cities, including Chicago and Milwaukee, among others, have friends in Albuquerque but never really spent much time there)

As for my responses, thx...I just tell it like it is....if people come asking questions, I will not be a blind homer for any of the cities I've lived in or favor. Weather just isn't a selling point in upper Midwest. ....because of the cold harsh winters and equally bad Spring. Summers are great but too short, and fall is cool but nice.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 AM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times
Default Of Course You Don't Get It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I don't get it. What's so funny? I see a very big difference in 3 more months of winter.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:31 AM

359 posts, read 1,308,249 times
Default Truth Spoken.

OF COURSE YOU CAN..IT'S JUST SO HARD FOR THOSE IN CHICAGO TO ADMIT IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I disagree with this opinion. Chciago isn't San Francisco times 5. Both are great cities, but imo you can do just as much if not more in San Francisco and the Bay area than Chicago. I like both cities, ...big fan of SF.

Last edited by ArthursChoice; 06-09-2007 at 02:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago