Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times

Advertisements

Is it really that bad?

I've lived in snow before, but we were in the mountains...what do you all do in the winters for fun? How do you prepare? How do you heat your homes? What would one advise a californian girl to do?

BTW I've looked into some suburbs there and Naperville seems to be a good fit, but can anyone tell me why the property taxes are so high? I noticed that it also covers two counties, is it the same city, or divided Any info would be appreciated, I have never been to the midwest, but you all seem nice enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Hello! Winters can be tough at times, no doubt. Youre guaranteed a few days in the winter where the highs will only be in the single digits. The rest of winter can be anywhere from 20-50 degrees, it changes all the time. It will certainly be colder than Cali, especially SoCal. There are winter fests to keep you busy, ice skating on the ponds or at rinks (Millenium Park and Navy Pier have one in the winter), cross country skiing along the lake or in parks, sledding at toboggan parks, you can also drive to Wisconsin or NW Illinois and hit some ski resorts, but be warned, its NOT Vail but a fun time nonetheless. Chicago doesnt come to a standstill when it snows, which is nice. Things get slowed a bit, and unlike the rest of the country, we dont hide when it snows, things go on as usual.

As for Naperville, its a giant suburb with everything in the world to do and a great downtown with a good nightlife scene. Property taxes are high because its in DuPage County, a county notorious for its high taxes. You should love it here, there are hundreds of suburbs all with different personalities and tons of things to do. If youve been to San Fran and liked it, youll love Chicago. Think of Chicago as SanFran times 5.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,809 times
former floridian here. been in chicago several years. winters are quite rough. for me, the worst part is the wind on top of the below-twenty-degree weather that we get around january. no lake-effect snow, so that's nice. the weather can be pretty wacky, especially in spring/fall; i think the weather fluctuations have to do with the jet stream (check out the special features section of the "weather man" dvd, in which a chicago meteorologist talks about crazy chicago weather). i think the summer here is awesome, although midwesterners will complain about humidity. my response is that they don't know what true humidity is until they spend a summer in florida, just as i didn't know what true cold was until i came to chicago.

the winter's just a bit too much for me. it's probably better if you can afford plenty of living space (cabin fever), but i couldn't on my budget. i'm heading to nyc this august, where i understand the winter is more bearable.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. As of right now I'm in the bay area and definately love san francisco, but we cannot afford to live here, it's just OUTRAGEOUS!

When you're shopping for homes and can't find ANYTHING under $600 (that doesn't need major work, like a new kitchen, bathrooms, roof's, ect..., it's time for a change.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I love Chicago winters for the most part. I get my kicks by driving my car on frozen lakes (though any more you have to go up to Wisconsin to do that) and I enjoy the challenge of facing below-zero temperatures. I love driving in snow and I wish everyone else would stay off the roads when it snows so I could have my fun. But I'm ready to be done with it by mid-February, and sometimes the winter stretches well into March. I think we even got a sprinkling of snow in April this year. I love the four seasons, but I just wish the winter season was about a month shorter.

Around here, 600K will buy you a three-story house in move-in condition in a safe area if you look in the right neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I love Chicago winters for the most part. I get my kicks by driving my car on frozen lakes (though any more you have to go up to Wisconsin to do that) and I enjoy the challenge of facing below-zero temperatures. I love driving in snow and I wish everyone else would stay off the roads when it snows so I could have my fun. But I'm ready to be done with it by mid-February, and sometimes the winter stretches well into March. I think we even got a sprinkling of snow in April this year. I love the four seasons, but I just wish the winter season was about a month shorter.

Around here, 600K will buy you a three-story house in move-in condition in a safe area if you look in the right neighborhoods.
Sweet. Someone else who loves driving in the snow. As soon as there is more than 4" on the ground (which we dont seem to get too much of anymore these days), me n' my buddies are in the cars, having some fun drift sessions on every street corner.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 64,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sweet. Someone else who loves driving in the snow. As soon as there is more than 4" on the ground (which we dont seem to get too much of anymore these days), me n' my buddies are in the cars, having some fun drift sessions on every street corner.
I always think it's funny when people start complaining about winter driving. I agree with you guys, it's FUN, at least in short distances, not long commutes.

When I was younger with my first car, rear wheel drive, I would spin doughnuts in parking lots and swing/slide around corners all the time. It was a blast.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime9 View Post
I always think it's funny when people start complaining about winter driving. I agree with you guys, it's FUN, at least in short distances, not long commutes.

When I was younger with my first car, rear wheel drive, I would spin doughnuts in parking lots and swing/slide around corners all the time. It was a blast.
Thats what I live for in the winter! LOL I HATE when there is not snow, gets kinda boring. We usually hit up industrial parks (they always seem to get plowed last) streets. We'll have someone sit at the intersection just to make sure noone is coming, then we'll take turns drifting wide arcs through the corners, at speeds around 25-30 mph. It can get a little hairy at times for sure, but its so much fun. I have 2 bent rims to show for it.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:34 AM

ummmm anyway, yes driving in snow can be fun. My husband use to get a little crazy driving in snow as well, must be a guy thing.

I lived in Jackson Hole, WY where the winters started at the end of August and lasted until April...that's mountain life. It was a beautiful area but 8-9 months of winter was too much! Fall and Spring were pretty much non-existent.

As far as the housing, I certainly don't need a three story house, I would be perfectly content in a townhome on a golf course or something like that, although a yard would be nice, I'm just not sure if I'm ready for the upkeep.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 64,959 times
Moonsavvy, I don't own a home so I can't tell you much about that. However, I might be able to give you some information on some suburban areas.

Are you limited to where you are looking? Job restrictions, commute restrictions, anything like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago