Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,402,894 times

Advertisements

Gentrification of an area will bring some drawbacks but the benefits almost always far outweigh those drawbacks.

As a philosophy, those who support urban living should be happy to see any urban neighborhood experience gentrification and stop bickering about hipsters and yuppies, IMHO. The more exciting and livable areas that there are, the more likely the City as a whole will revitalize.

A friend of mine lives in Avondale and confirms a lot of what is being said here and in the article. Go Avondale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM

527 posts, read 1,240,402 times
Default Well Said

Well Said! Everytime I have ever posted about my love of Logan Square AF has come screaming about high crime... It just isn't there. Even Avondale is much better. AF has some hate thing with it. I think personally Mr. Mestopholes from Cats might be involved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Please, of course not. I'm happy for him/the neighborhood because he's paid his dues as a brewer & working on behalf of other businesses in Logan Sq (he headed the Log Sq Chamber of Commerce), and worked hard to get the Rev Brew licensed in the first place, I went to a community meeting and there were jerks there who didn't want it because they were afraid it would impact their street parking 2 blocks away. If you want to live away from people, living 2 blocks from Fullerton & Milwaukee is a poor choice to make. Oh, and Handlebar is a great place, even if some of the patrons do appear to be wearing jeans several sizes too small.

Nevertheless, you're a broken record - find me one thing you've said about Avondale that wasn't derogatory, all I ever read from you is the same old "full of crime, full of douchebags, full of hipsters, blah blah blah."

frankly, those elements are in every neighborhood. I moved to Avondale to avoid those folks, but I'm not delusional, it's a free country.

If I'm misreading you, sorry, but you proved my point here - "been there, done that" is a smart ass and completely worthless contribution to a thread - it's actually worse than worthless, as it discourages other people from commenting who might be willing to spend more than .5 seconds on their thoughts.

And your complaints about stereotypes of LP and LV are true, but right now they are a straw man argument.

Are there gangs in Avondale? Yup. There are also gangs running the prostitute businesses and drugs in Lake View, you know - to paraphrase from New Jack City, "they don't make any cocaine or dope in Lake View," yet it's obviously around. Check out the Chicago Gang Book you might be very surprised to see large swaths of Lake View which are claimed by the Gangster Disciples, for example - all it takes is a few apartments here or there to establish turf in that regard, as they can put out a call and get dozens of bangers anywhere in a moment's notice.

My point to the thread was I actually dig Avondale for exactly what it is, not some fantasy it will become the "new" Wicker Park or anything else.

Much of what I dig about my nook is actually culture that has moved west down Belmont, similar to myself and other folks who grew up in LV and LP.

I *love* Lake View - it's just too expensive for me, and there are definitely too many kids in their early twenties who are puking on the streets every weekend. They should have gotten that out of their system in high school, like I did.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:47 PM

36 posts, read 120,403 times
Avondale - in a way, I'm kind of glad to see young adutls with $$ give some respect to this area. It's on the dreaded Northwest Side - boarding close to areas with blue collars and sensible footwear.

The Poles have kept a strong presence trying to at least maintain their churches here, which in turn, help keep the neighborhood together in many ways.

Although I dislike when an area with character and culture becomes homogeneous and plastic (like West Lakeview - Clyborn Corridor), it's still refreshing to see people embrace a part of Chicago that at one time many of their peers turned their noses at. Let's hope the hip brewpubs with weird names and wine bars won't overtake taquerias and witamina shops in the neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,836,563 times
Here it comes, creeping north up Milwaukee:

http://www.metroplanning.org/uploads...gan_square.pdf

Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,423,098 times
^^I like the mega mall proposal and have been wondering why nothing has been done with that eyesore, especially considering the amount of lost storefront spaces due to the fire.

The rest I am more hesitant about. Knowing the political leanings of the LSNA, the plans that offer more low-income rental units will come to fruition and in the long run I can't see how that will improve the viability/bring money into the community.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,548,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^I like the mega mall proposal and have been wondering why nothing has been done with that eyesore, especially considering the amount of lost storefront spaces due to the fire.
Aren't they rebuilding the section that burned down? I could have sworn that not too long ago I peaked out from the blue line and saw some new beams going up over that missing section.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post

The rest I am more hesitant about. Knowing the political leanings of the LSNA, the plans that offer more low-income rental units will come to fruition and in the long run I can't see how that will improve the viability/bring money into the community.
it all comes down to who is going to get the capital first - and LSNA and their allies are unlikely to, given the current legal headaches they're getting just from the Bickerdike plan down on Armitage west of Kimball.

I think housing targeted for low-income renters was a lot easier to sell when it did literally seem like everything was in the midst of going condo, but now, not so much. I'll be very curious to see what the Sachs building project results in, that corner is pretty woeful at the moment.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,845,413 times
If Bickerdike or similar type development comes in the area will get worse

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If Bickerdike or similar type development comes in the area will get worse
There's some, but it seems to be more geared towards Humboldt, I have yet to see anything go north of Diversey. That's why the 6-corner intersection at Kimball & Milwaukee is so high-profile, everyone around here is wondering what this injection of TIF funds will really result in - ie, the stated goal of just affordable units for some artists as well as "Community" facilities for performing artists, or straight-up speculation/gentrification.

my guess is a little of both, using the extremely un-PC and totally anecdotal evidence of who I've seen in moving vans this year, white folks are moving into my hood in greater numbers (which is not necessarily good IMO, but given the alternative of vacancies/foreclosures any new neighbors who aren't straight-up sociopaths are welcome)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,221,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
There's some, but it seems to be more geared towards Humboldt, I have yet to see anything go north of Diversey. That's why the 6-corner intersection at Kimball & Milwaukee is so high-profile, everyone around here is wondering what this injection of TIF funds will really result in - ie, the stated goal of just affordable units for some artists as well as "Community" facilities for performing artists, or straight-up speculation/gentrification.

my guess is a little of both, using the extremely un-PC and totally anecdotal evidence of who I've seen in moving vans this year, white folks are moving into my hood in greater numbers (which is not necessarily good IMO, but given the alternative of vacancies/foreclosures any new neighbors who aren't straight-up sociopaths are welcome)
The hipsters have been getting priced out of Bucktown and Logan Square and are heading towards Avondale. Will this spur an anti gentrification movement in Avonale as well? The Hispanics being priced out of West Town are headed west towards West Humboldt Park, Hermosa, and Belmont Cragin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago