Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM

188 posts, read 605,577 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that for the past few weeks (on the Red line, at least), the conductor will make an announcement at every stop stating "Please do not attempt to board the train, the doors are now closing." This is in addition to the regular, automated "[Ding dong], Doors closing."

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Has anyone else noticed that for the past few weeks (on the Red line, at least), the conductor will make an announcement at every stop stating "Please do not attempt to board the train, the doors are now closing." This is in addition to the regular, automated "[Ding dong], Doors closing."

What gives?
Did you completely miss the news a couple months ago about a baby stroller getting caught in closing doors and the baby dragged off the platform?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM

I didn't miss the news, but I didn't automatically assume the two were related. Has the CTA announced that this was a prevention effort?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I didn't miss the news, but I didn't automatically assume the two were related. Has the CTA announced that this was a prevention effort?
I think it is a fair assumption that it is. Just because they may have not officially announced something (or something was not reported on well or at all)-does not mean that it does not exist.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM

149 posts, read 454,438 times
I think it is necessary anyway. That is one of my biggest complaints about the CTA. Too much waiting for stragglers. Buses will sit at a stop for five minutes as people a block away wave them down, then another person a block away begins to wave as the last finally gets to the bus. Bus should come to stop, pick up whoever is there and leave once all at the stop have boarded. This would probably solve a lot of the stacking issues too.

Same thing on trains. Why should 400 people be delayed just so one ****** who just ran up the stairs doesn't have to wait 5 minutes for the next red line.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
I think it is necessary anyway. That is one of my biggest complaints about the CTA. Too much waiting for stragglers. Buses will sit at a stop for five minutes as people a block away wave them down, then another person a block away begins to wave as the last finally gets to the bus. Bus should come to stop, pick up whoever is there and leave once all at the stop have boarded. This would probably solve a lot of the stacking issues too.

Same thing on trains. Why should 400 people be delayed just so one ****** who just ran up the stairs doesn't have to wait 5 minutes for the next red line.
I don't mind the train announcements, it's the volume levels they're set at. Ear-splitting. Especially the "Doors are closing ... "DING," 140 decibal exploding my inner ear, "DONG." fire engine alarm sound loud head asplode.

The CTA does so many things wrong, and they do this especially wrong. I'm not asking for braille, I'm asking for common sense and a semblance of a comfortable ride.

As for the conductor announcement re: "Don't board the train", I'd assume it's related to the Howard incident and CTA's error. This is a way for them to pass liability to passengers and mitigate culpability on CTA's part. I'm sure their corporate counsel was instructed by the NTSB to do something, so this is their way of fixing the problem, even though my understanding is that it was CTA's error in the Red Line incident. Either way, hope it helps. I would guess this conductor announcement will result in an increase in fares by $.02 per syllable, per each announcement.

Last edited by BigLake; 01-21-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would guess this conductor announcement will result in an increase in fares by $.02 per syllable, per each announcement.
Well, I would hope that if this becomes SOP, they'll automatize it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM

332 posts, read 525,014 times
Conductor announcement = stupid. Even though it probably makes sense that it's a cover your a-- move from the Howard incident. It makes part of me want to stand by the door and keep it open.

If they want to keep it--it needs to be automated---otherwise when the conductor actually needs to say something nobody will listen (not that anybody listens anyway but at least some people would be like "Whoa why the F is the conductor talking?")

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I noticed this a few weeks ago.

I mainly noticed because it was 8pm on a weeknight, and I was taking a virtually empty Brown Line up from downtown. We get to Sedgwick and Armitage and the conductor is screaming - almost pleading - for people to PLEASE NOT BOARD THIS TRAIN! THE DOORS ARE CLOSING!!!!! PLEASE STEP BACK!!!!

I was like - wtf? There was no one on the train or trying to board at all as far as I could see. I didn't know it was something they had to do now. I thought this conductor was just a freak seeing all these invisible crowds trying to franticly rush the train.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I think I want the job of the "voice of the CTA". They are always tinkering with that stuff. That guy from Wisconsin has some great job security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: