U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM

226 posts, read 911,031 times

Advertisements

Ok so one would guess that you could get a ticket if you drive through a toll booth without paying. Who couldn't figure that out?

My question is how would you know what an ORT lane is? Shouldn't there be a massive sign or some type of barricades to know YOU CAN'T DRIVE THERE UNLESS YOU PAY!? Would a driver have to register their plates to a crooked offical to get a "PASS"? I know these tickets go by your plate numbers. I don't even remember driving in these streets where I got the fines from. And I'm the only one driving my car.

I just got my second ticket. I mean there is no toll booth person hanging around there to collect the $1 fee! I don't even remember going through a pay toll. Is an ORT lane "invisible" that it looks just like a freeway except the signs/warning are somewhat "hidden"? I can't "believe" I didn't see any of this. Um so the charge would have only been $1, but there is no "toll" anywhere so I could pay this fee, but instead I got a ticket/fine for $20 for drivng in an ORT lane that is "invisible". There were no cars there lined up to pay the $1 fee/toll so how am I supposed to know? It was an open road/freeway, so what's going on in Crook County?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,995,203 times
Perhaps you should look at more than your cell phone when you drive. The lane for those that don't have an I-Pass branches to the right about 50 yards before a toll. The people that pay attention notice the innumerable signs warning this change and amend themselves accordingly. Those who don't, like you, could have gone to this website: Unpaid Toll (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2008701&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTA L - broken link) to pay the suspected missed toll within 7 days to avoid the shiny ticket you received. Nice try though trying to argue that for some reason you should be exempt from the same tolls that everyone else pays.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,276,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Ok so one would guess that you could get a ticket if you drive through a toll booth without paying. Who couldn't figure that out?

My question is how would you know what an ORT lane is? Shouldn't there be a massive sign or some type of barricades to know YOU CAN'T DRIVE THERE UNLESS YOU PAY!? Would a driver have to register their plates to a crooked offical to get a "PASS"? I know these tickets go by your plate numbers. I don't even remember driving in these streets where I got the fines from. And I'm the only one driving my car.

I just got my second ticket. I mean there is no toll booth person hanging around there to collect the $1 fee! I don't even remember going through a pay toll. Is an ORT lane "invisible" that it looks just like a freeway except the signs/warning are somewhat "hidden"? I can't "believe" I didn't see any of this. Um so the charge would have only been $1, but there is no "toll" anywhere so I could pay this fee, but instead I got a ticket/fine for $20 for drivng in an ORT lane that is "invisible". There were no cars there lined up to pay the $1 fee/toll so how am I supposed to know? It was an open road/freeway, so what's going on in Crook County?
It's safe to assume MENSA isn't begging you to become a member.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

1,911 posts, read 4,221,298 times
There are signs everywhere showing that you basically have to exit the main part of the highway, pay the toll, and get back on.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Um like I said there is no toll. Re-read my post. I never suspected any toll, which is why I'm surprised. No I was not trying to make an excuse out of a ticket that "everyone else pays". Yes, Crook County is making a ton of money from these invisible toll booths with hidden cameras. But like I said, shouldn't there be a toll booth/booth teller person so drivers can pay that $1 fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Perhaps you should look at more than your cell phone when you drive. The lane for those that don't have an I-Pass branches to the right about 50 yards before a toll. The people that pay attention notice the innumerable signs warning this change and amend themselves accordingly. Those who don't, like you, could have gone to this website: Unpaid Toll (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2008701&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTA L - broken link) to pay the suspected missed toll within 7 days to avoid the shiny ticket you received. Nice try though trying to argue that for some reason you should be exempt from the same tolls that everyone else pays.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Um like I said there is no toll. Re-read my post. I never suspected any toll, which is why I'm surprised. No I was not trying to make an excuse out of a ticket that "everyone else pays". Yes, Crook County is making a ton of money from these invisible toll booths with hidden cameras. But like I said, shouldn't there be a toll booth/booth teller person so drivers can pay that $1 fee?
"Crook" County doesn't make a dime off the tollways, Epsilon. About 99% of people without a toll transponder seem to have no difficulty finding the manned toll booth lanes, what with the huge signs telling drivers which lanes are ORT and which ones are not.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Well I guess I missed the invisible sign. Crook County is clearly making a killin' from unsuspecting motorists.

So make an exit to the road that I am driving on (makes no sense), pay the toll, get back on it?

What would make sense is having a toll booth? So motorists would know to slow down, pay the toll, go through the toll booth, fee is paid. Then drive on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
There are signs everywhere showing that you basically have to exit the main part of the highway, pay the toll, and get back on.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Where did you get that data from (99%)? Um there were no manned toll booth lanes/or toll booths, when there should be so I can pay the $1 fee!

It was just an open road (you know, freeway, fast cars, no sign of stopping, no sign of toll, no barricades of any sort so motorist would know to stop and pay, etc). Do I just throw $1 out the window so the camera sees that I paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Crook" County isn't making a dime off the toll system, Epsilon. About 99% of people without a toll transponder seem to have no difficulty finding the manned toll booth lanes, what with the huge signs telling drivers which lanes are ORT and which ones are not.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,995,203 times
I have second hand embarrassment for you. Your reading comprehension is as poor as your driving ability.

Last edited by surlycue; 01-21-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that data from (99%)? Um there were no manned toll booth lanes/or toll booths, when there should be so I can pay the $1 fee!

It was just an open road (you know, freeway, fast cars, no sign of stopping, no sign of toll, no barricades of any sort so motorist would know to stop and pay, etc). Do I just throw $1 out the window so the camera sees that I paid?
Ride a bike from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago