Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM

65 posts, read 230,190 times

Advertisements

Today I was looking at Google Maps trying to find how to get someplace and I saw this:

1756 W 14th St, Chicago, IL, United States - Google Maps

And if for some reason that link didn't work correctly the address to type into Google Maps is: 1756 W 14th St, Chicago, IL, United States

This just blew my mind away when I saw it. It's just abandoned land complete with old sidewalks, alleys, and the Pink Line going through it. It's only a couple blocks south of the UIC Med Center too.

What happened? This area west from Adam's Park is only about 10 to 15 minutes from downtown and it looks like one of those "Urban Parries" that they have in Detroit.

Was there some sort of huge fire that burned down everything or something? Does anyone know what is going on with this area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisSweet View Post
...Was there some sort of huge fire that burned down everything or something? Does anyone know what is going on with this area of town?
There once were CHA housing project buildings there.

Here is my proof:

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohisto...ages/3712.html

I am not sure who owns the properties now. UIC might own them and possibly may expand the campus in the future.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-23-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
That specific area was not housing projects, the map on the encyclopedia page shows no projects west of Ashland. There are sidewalks and ALLEYS that parallel them, (plus one or two old residences still standing) it was more likely a typical neighborhood of narrow houses and two flats.

From what I understand that was part of Chicagos main Italian neighborhoods back in the 60s. There was some massive displacement when Daley the first redeveloped the area when UIC and the Medical district was built. Plus the riots that took place there might have further disturbed the area and cause people to move away.

A friend of mine who works for the hospitals there told me that the city owns most of the land. She didn't know whether there were any solids plans to develop it yet.

BTW: You can find some of those same "urban prairies" throughout parts of the west and south side. Maybe not THAT big of an area where all the buildings are gone, but certainly blocks that are gapped-tooth. Plus there are former industrial areas where railyards, etc. have been torn off, and have reverted back to urban prairie.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
That specific area was not housing projects, the map on the encyclopedia page shows no projects west of Ashland...
I think you are wrong. I will have to look into it more.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-23-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
It was once a neighborhood. Some of the clearing of land might have been due to urban blight, but based on how empty it is, I assume it was razed by the city at some point, either for public housing, development that never happened, or for UIC. Currently it is held by UIC as land for future expansion of the medical center.

It really is a bizarre area, especially since there are still a handful of buildings around. It definitely looks like Detroit. I'm thinking about compiling a list of surviving buildings on the Near West Side.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,563 times
There's some reference to what happened to this area in the Wikipedia article for University Village.
University Village, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Referring to the area Ashland to Western, Roosevelt to 15th Pl. train tracks:

Quote:
In 2005 this community of roughly 10,000 in the fifties and 5,000 in the nineties was completely destroyed overnight in a mass scale fire sale for land developers hungry to devour the last vestige of black community east of Western avenue. Today the land remains vacant and lifeless save for the new FBI building and University Police Station.
Neutral POV, eh, Wikipedia?

Is this right? I wonder what the city had in mind.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

It really is a bizarre area, especially since there are still a handful of buildings around. It definitely looks like Detroit.
Not to turn this into a stick-up-for Detroit thread or minimize the severity of Detroits problems. But not all, or even most of Detroit is dominated by totally or nearly empty blocks. There are many areas like this, yes. But there are also many areas particularly on the west side, where the housing is 100% intact, maintained, and in decent condition.

Also, there are a few areas on the southside, that are a little bit like this chunk of land south of the medical district.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM

258 posts, read 760,343 times
No great mystery. The Illinois Medical District (not the city) has been aggressively buying up property in this area as it became available over the years. Old residents of the area sometimes called it "The Valley," apparently because of the elevated railroad tracks to the south. Here's a Reader story about the battle between longtime residents and IMD.

The Medical District is only allowed to purchase and assemble land for medical purposes, but that's sometimes rather generously interpreted, as in the case of the FBI headquarters. The area around 14th and Ashland is being leased for a new Costco store.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; 01-24-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 PM

65 posts, read 230,190 times
How long is it supposed to take for that to fill up with medical buildings, I wonder?

It looks like with that amount of vacant land someone could put up their own entirely new hospital.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
There was a thread about this a year or two ago. These formerly residential blocks were cleared for expansion of the Medical District. So no, it's not Detroit-style abandonment--though you can find that elsewhere in some parts of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: