Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM

121 posts, read 337,213 times

Advertisements

Just found out im moving up to Chicago in about 3 months. And Im supposed to be there for about 3 years?

I really hope I don't get mugged by the mob.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs128.snc3/17557_310541143326_646288326_4743020_4898857_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I's say if you stay out of mob business and mind your own you shouldn't have a problem. If you do not know the city, the first piece of advice I can give you is do not bring a facny car - unless you need it for your job. Parking is difficult to find and expensive. There are many forms of transportation in Chicago from the bus and cab to EL and Metro, zip car, limo. etcc. You might be able to get a short lease here while you look for more premanent housing. It is a nice araa.

Chicago is entirely different than Houston and so is the weather. It will still be plenty cold in April, we might even still have snow on the ground. Don't be surprised. If you like Hispanic foods, you will be pleasantly surprised. if you don't, there are many other restaurants.

Click on Sample Apartments. You find a video tour, floor plan, approxate sqare footage and prinvr tsnge. Its a non=profit housing group that can help you with train schedules, utilites,etc. All in all it is a cool place to live. Oak Park Regional Housing Center

also, here is a link to the town. It's about 8 miles from the Loop - that is downtown.
Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois
Be sure to click on all the pictures.

Do try to secure parking where ever you live - if you bring a car. .

Welcome to Illinois!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3hatch View Post
Just found out im moving up to Chicago in about 3 months. And Im supposed to be there for about 3 years?

I really hope I don't get mugged by the mob.
You won't. No promises you won't get mugged by zombies though. And then have your brains eaten.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Mugged by the mob, lol. WTF??

I also don't know about the comment of still having snow on the ground in April. The average high for the month is 60 degrees. I know it fluctuates a lot - but I've never seen snow sitting around on the ground from the previous winter. Historically there's a 50% chance on average of getting snow in April (.1 inches or more), but the average last date for snow is April 3rd.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
We have at least one prominent member on this forum who used to live in Houston but now lives in Chicago. He hasn't mentioned having major problems with violent crime. So if you want to stay safe, you could do worse than following his example. So if you move here, I would recommend going out in public a good percentage of the time dressed as a woman, preferrably in one of the skirt suits from your vast collection at home, and if you buy yourself a bicycle, make sure it's top shelf quality and price. And you should buy a bike. Preferrably several.

Oh, and if you're worried about your safety, look into Wicker Park.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM

527 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Yes you will have to be very careful here in Chicago. You are going to have to stay street smart and recognize the simple differences between animated zombies and the infected. If you are waiting for the El in the El tunnels and the electricity and lights should go out, do not try to walk down the tunnel to get to your destination. That will never work.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Just get it over with and give me your credit card number.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
The mob has much more lucrative things to do than mug people. I, however, don't, so when you get up here, DM me your new address and I'll swing by with a baseball bat and welcome to the neighborhood .

Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM

19 posts, read 41,102 times
I moved from Chicago to Houston. You're going to love the city and the pizza is to die for. It seems to me there's a lot more cops in Chi than here, so I think it's safer. If you buy a house, usually you don't have to deal w/ Associations (yea!) but the homes are more expensive in Chicago. Getting a driver's license is a piece of cake compared to Houston. Also, the pace seems faster and the weather gets really cold. The people in the suburbs are REALLY friendly. Driving can be scary - especially in the snow. Just drive slower in the right lane and use the turn signals.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
We have at least one prominent member on this forum who used to live in Houston but now lives in Chicago. He hasn't mentioned having major problems with violent crime. So if you want to stay safe, you could do worse than following his example. So if you move here, I would recommend going out in public a good percentage of the time dressed as a woman, preferrably in one of the skirt suits from your vast collection at home, and if you buy yourself a bicycle, make sure it's top shelf quality and price. And you should buy a bike. Preferrably several.

Oh, and if you're worried about your safety, look into Wicker Park.
Ah, comedy gold right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago