Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 36,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
ps. I moved back from the west coast and stayed in lincoln square for awhile...the first day I came back my car window was smashed and all my things were ruined in my car, I felt so violated.
I also have a love hate relationship with the city...I can't seem to decide one way or the other.
I lived in Bucktown/Wicker Park for 20 years and parked on the street every day. My car was broken into 1 time - and they didn't get anything. I never kept anything in my car in plain view. Of course, your stuff's going to get ruined or stolen if you leave it in your car overnight. As my neighborhood became more "gentrified" I noticed more and more cars parked with all sorts of crap (boxes, backpacks, CD's, dry cleaning) in them. I'd always ask myself - "what are these people thinking?"

I love living in the City - but it's not for everyone, especially people with messy cars.

I have a friend who's car is always a mess. He leaves it unlocked because that way the windows won't get broken.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 25,716 times
Every city has its problems. I lived in Ukrainian village for 35 years - wish I was back. Try living around Detroit, it truely is a world class loser city. On top of that, you have a redneck union " entitlement " attitude around most other parts. At least most folks in Ill. know they get ahead by hard work, not by being born in a nut turning family of autoworkers. I could walk in my old neighborhood at night, but try that in Detroit or send the flowers for the funeral. Now rest assured, I would never move my family to Beirut, I mean Detroit. Live in the burbs along with all the other high class rednecks. Can't wait to move back to ILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkf60tkf60 View Post
I have a friend who's car is always a mess. He leaves it unlocked because that way the windows won't get broken.
I used to leave my car unlocked on the same basic premise -- there was nothing of much value in it, and if someone wanted something out of it that bad, they were welcome to it. Plus it was too much of a POS for anyone to want to steal it.

That practice changed when I came out one day to find a stew-bum sleeping in my car. It took about a week to get that smell out.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I used to leave my car unlocked on the same basic premise -- there was nothing of much value in it, and if someone wanted something out of it that bad, they were welcome to it. Plus it was too much of a POS for anyone to want to steal it.

That practice changed when I came out one day to find a stew-bum sleeping in my car. It took about a week to get that smell out.

LMBO

Are you serious? Ive seen bums sleeping everywhere imaginable, but never in someones car. That'd be reason enough for me to lock the doors. LOL

Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkf60tkf60 View Post
I lived in Bucktown/Wicker Park for 20 years and parked on the street every day. My car was broken into 1 time - and they didn't get anything. I never kept anything in my car in plain view. Of course, your stuff's going to get ruined or stolen if you leave it in your car overnight. As my neighborhood became more "gentrified" I noticed more and more cars parked with all sorts of crap (boxes, backpacks, CD's, dry cleaning) in them. I'd always ask myself - "what are these people thinking?"

I love living in the City - but it's not for everyone, especially people with messy cars.

Sorry...but its not my own fault that my car got broken into. Its not the city's fault either, but It's not the victim's fault. You can take precautions and its often stupid not to, but its much more ridiculous that people get away with stealing and breaking into cars.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think I would freak out!!

That one takes the cake!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
The hassle I got from my parents for my mini skirts years ago,,,and,they were right after all...Flash forward to the 80's,,I could not get shoulder pads big enough or my hair permed and high enough,,and I thought I was a knock-out My daughters and their thongs sticking out from low rider jeans

Oh I know, why does society think that looking "dorky" is cool? I don't get it. Anyway now you've got me started. I can't staaaand the thongs hanging out of the jeans! Someone help, I am falling into the complaint thread deeper and deeper...

But to be fair this is a nationwide travasty, not just a chicago problem.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,337 times
I've never lived in Chicago. It interests me, but I thought I'd complain about a few things.
Transportation seems very poor. At least they have a detailed CTA, but it's poor quality. You can drive or take the El, but either way might be slower than your bicycle! I have no idea how any sane person can enjoy life if they commute to Chicago from the suburbs. And driving in the city, some streets may have two lanes but you can't fit two cars side by side half the time. A lot of people simply try to cut past each other in methods that do nothing but waste more time for the legal and ethical drivers while saving time for the *******s
For an American city it's not so bad, but it's disapointing that most of the middle and upper class (mostly white) residents are too scared of minorities to want to live within city limits. So most of the city is poor in a number of ways. It's also extremely segregated, based on past and present racism. White racism against blacks (real estate/CHA), black racism against hispanics (CHA), etc etc. I have to wonder about a racist element to the culture - with all ethnicities. For instance, in one afternoon riding my bicycle around Douglass, I was heckled on multiple occasions by young black males over the fact that I was white. I wasn't dressed inappropriately or acting improper or anything like that.
I don't know what it is... maybe I'm too picky... but in most of Chicago, if I ignored the cars, I'd think it was the early 1980s. It just looks so dirty, decrepit, and old. Even in decent neighborhoods, there are gang messages scribbled all over street signs. Doesn't seem to be good quality of life there. I haven't seen stats but the air seems a bit dirty, and what is that smell?? Though the lakefront is great.
The police are corrupt, and basically cause more crime, more gangs, and less support for the police ("stop snitchin") because of the negative public opinion that they generate with their unethical/illegal tactics of 'fighting crime' in black neighborhoods. Organized crime and gangs in Chicago rivals any city in North America.
My view may be unusual because perhaps unlike a lot of people, I actually browse throughout a city when visiting rather than staying in the wealthiest parts of town. This is a complaining thread so I'm saying negatives that come to mind... I don't necessarily dislike Chicago... I might move there actually.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
My car was broken into 3 times in 4 years. I rarely kept anything in it either, I swear that one time is was just some junkie looking for coins under the seat ....oh, and it was vandalized twice and a victim of two hit and runs .. I think the universe was trying to tell me that I shouldn't own a car ... I finally got the message when I came home one evening and discovered in in a crumpled heap in the middle of the street.

No more car for me (that was 3 years ago).

Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM

152 posts, read 572,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtrip View Post
My wife and I are wanting to move to Chicago, but there seems to be alot of negative responses on here. Is it a bad place to live? Any suggestions on where to live? How about close to the water? Thanks!
Chicago is a great place to live, very vibrant city, with all the pros and cons of a very large cosmopolitan city. So if you don't like cities like that, it's not the place for you. Generally, Chicago is far less expensive than other big cities such as New York, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco...etc...with that being said, it is not cheap either. Traffic is not worse than the aforementioned cities, crime neither...Lots of restaurant, bars, stores, schools are not worse than any other big city.
In my opinion the very huge drawback of Chicago is the weather: winters are really brutal and long, despite the global warming. Springs are not warm at all and you jump from the lower 40's to the upper 80's degrees in a matter of 24 hours so beware of frequent colds. But April and May are for the 80% of the time kind of chilly! The closer to the water, the more expensive the housing will be...and a lot colder...sometime there could be more than 20 degrees difference between lakeshore and inland areas...
Overall...thumbs up to Chicago...thumbs down to the weather!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago