Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 PM

152 posts, read 572,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Sacrilege!!! Any self-respecting person knows that pizza shouldn't fold!!!

OK, actually I consider myself a pizza connoisseur and I do enjoy a good NY slice every once in awhile. But nothing beats deep dish Chicago pizza for a meal.
Ok, ok, ok, hold on the horses everybody!!!
I'm Italian and, although I like deep dish pizza, Chicago style pizza CANNOT be called pizza!!! It's a pie!!! It may have the same ingredients of pizza...but please let's stop calling it pizza!! Let's find another name!
I love it though!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
I'm Italian and, although I like deep dish pizza, Chicago style pizza CANNOT be called pizza!!! It's a pie!!! It may have the same ingredients of pizza...but please let's stop calling it pizza!! Let's find another name!
I love it though!!
Its definitely pizza, just a different style, thats all. Pies are encrusted on all sides, deep-dish pizza is not.

I know there are a few select areas that encrust the entire "pizza", but Geno's, Lou's, etc dont, but theyre still deep dish and theyre still pizzas, just thicker.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Well...I'm sure 60 million of fellow Italians would agree with me!!
Did you ever try an original Italian pizza in Italy? Maybe you should try it and than you will definetely change your mind on how a real pizza should taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its definitely pizza, just a different style, thats all. Pies are encrusted on all sides, deep-dish pizza is not.

I know there are a few select areas that encrust the entire "pizza", but Geno's, Lou's, etc dont, but theyre still deep dish and theyre still pizzas, just thicker.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Well...I'm sure 60 million of fellow Italians would agree with me!!
Did you ever try an original Italian pizza in Italy? Maybe you should try it and than you will definetely change your mind on how a real pizza should taste!
Maybe, but the term "pie" probably differs between Chicago and Italy. Anyways, whatever the case, I love it and am glad to live in Chicagoland so I can enjoy it anytime I want. All this talk is making me hungry. Uh-oh.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
I love it though!!
yadda yadda yadda, I hear that nonsense all the time. I'm sure that one could make the argument that any pizza outside of the kind they make in Italy isn't pizza. If we follow your line of thought than no pizza outside say I don't know, napoli style pizza, can be called pizza. So forget about it, chicago, nyc, new haven, that crap california churns out with artichokes on it (just kidding guys ) isn't pizza, and we are all just eating pie (which is fine with me, I like it all).

I find these claims of culinary purity tiresome. American cuisine at its finest is all about innovation and the incorporation of new ideas on traditional foods. I like the traditional, and I like the innovative, unlike some I am not a culinary philistine and there is room on my palate and in my vocabulary for both.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
yadda yadda yadda, I hear that nonsense all the time. I'm sure that one could make the argument that any pizza outside of the kind they make in Italy isn't pizza. If we follow your line of thought than no pizza outside say I don't know, napoli style pizza, can be called pizza. So forget about it, chicago, nyc, new haven, that crap california churns out with artichokes on it (just kidding guys ) isn't pizza, and we are all just eating pie (which is fine with me, I like it all).
No need to be sorry. That California pizza crap is a sin! Ever been to a CPK and see the garbage they put on pizza?!?!?!?! Its horrible!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
hey, I read pizza was invented in America anyway...not Italy!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Maybe, but the term "pie" probably differs between Chicago and Italy. Anyways, whatever the case, I love it and am glad to live in Chicagoland so I can enjoy it anytime I want. All this talk is making me hungry. Uh-oh.
He he!! I'm getting hungry too!! Ok maybe pie is not an appropriate term, but pizza either!! What about a contest to find a new name for the deep dish so called "pizza"?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Pizza's fine, but, c'mon, where esle but Chicago can you get a Vienna hotdog, topped as only the way it is in Chicago. Don't forget the peppers. Or how about a juicy, dripping Italian Beef sandwich. The kind where you need at least one handful of napkins to wipe your hands and chin. Yum!
My regards to Jeff's on Cicero, one block south of Irving Park. Great dogs and Italian Beefs.
Several years ago I found a small stand in Houston that was named "Chicago Style Hot Dog Stand".
In Louisville, Kentucky, there's a small grill called "The Best Taste Of Chicago". Good dogs and polish sausage.
But nothing compares to the Chicago originals. Anyone who has ever visited Chicago without eating hot dogs has missed a rare, unique treat.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah right!!! Keep dreaming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
hey, I read pizza was invented in America anyway...not Italy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago