Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM

180 posts, read 378,477 times

Advertisements

Are you looking to have roommates or live alone?

If living alone, forget about it unless you have a solid job. Chicago is expensive. Living alone in a half-decent part of town isn't even a possibility unless you have half-decent income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 45,636 times
@ GT28107, I'm looking to live with a roommate.

I'm glad to see that every single person has been very help. I thought people were gonna shoot me down lol

I think that as soon as I can develop a step by step plan, then I'll feel better about things. Do you think it's a good idea to put in online job applications? Or would it be better to actually go to Chicago and turn them in face-to-face?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times
I think you have guts. Everyone needs to do something like this at least once in their lives (the impulsive ones who live their entire lives like this usually wind up populating prisons or homeless shelters, but everyone should jump without a parachute at least once, preferably when they're young and the recovery period from the near-inevitable crash and burn won't set them back too far in life).

Just have some sort of a backup plan (like, parents you can return home to if things don't go your way)

For every inspirational story of someone who moves to 'the big city' with fifty bucks in their pocket and makes good, there one hundred you never hear about; the ones who wind up chewed up and spit out, scurrying home with their tail tucked 'tween their legs after things didn't turn out as they had planned and they couldn't sell their platelets fast enough to beat the rent monster... and those are the ones with college degrees who are otherwise generally employable.
Seeking a "music career"? The success.fail ratio there is probably tenfold more disparate.

Be prepared to fail, but don't fear failure and more importantly, don't accept it as being inevitable. Know you're spinning the wheel with all your chips on Red-25, but the journey is more important than the outcome anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited by linicx; 02-01-2010 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I do have a place to come back to, but I plan on things working out. You are giving great advice, but I'm a person who has found out that if I dream it, then it will come true. That's just how it seems that my life has always worked out.

I seriously don't believe in preparing myself for failure, but I do believe in having a logical, well thought out backup plan. Even 2 backup plans.

But yeah, thanks for taking the time out to even respond to this.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM

Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you guys that my mom has always supported this dream of mine, but before I go any further I just want to add this...

I don't have any aspirations of being just another popstar on the radio. I actually don't have any radio-friendly songs lol So, when I say "music career", I don't mean that I'm just another impulsive young person who's trying to "make it". I personally think "makin it" is so overrated and played out. It's 2010 folks, not 1975 lol!

Anyways, my mom is supporting me with this decision, but she doesn't have a bit of $ to help me out and I don't want to ask anybody. I just want to be responsible, plus I have a few items that I can sell on Craigslist (so at least I won't be entirely broke)

Actually tonight, she brought it to my attention that I could always stay in a hotel/motel for a while.

I honestly did not think of this at all! What do you guys think?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A motel will probably cost $100 or more a month. A hostel is certaily cheaper but times is an issue. The odds are not very good right now. Stay at home until you have some money put together. and then make your move. This is not the time nor temperatures to try the hobo life.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
I grew up in Chi and swore i would never have a car. . . then I moved downstate. . . different story

Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
A motel will probably cost $100 or more a month.
I'm betting on the "or more" side. I'm unaware of any motels that price in the $3.50 a night range, save for that one in Downtown Mayberry, circa 1961.

OP: in spite of the city hating them and doing everything in it's power to shut them down, there are still any number of SRO properties where a room can be had for $400/$500 a month. Bear in mind, you'll be in a sketchy area living amongst addicts, thieves, crooks, parolees and anyone else who one might think of when they think of "flophouse living", but it's actually quite exciting and an option that I myself have exercised in another life. Look into it. A lot of these places aren't advertised on Craigslist. They're not great, but they have their advantages; if you need weed, all you have to do is knock "Shave And A Haircut" on the cast iron pipes above your bed and someone will eventually bring some over.

Last edited by PokerPlayer1; 02-01-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
If you have an instinct, you should go with your instinct. I commend you for setting your goal. Personally I think that you should take a step out on faith. I agree that you might want to search for a roommate in Chicago and go from there. I wish you luck and success on your journey!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
I'm really glad to hear that not having a car isn't a problem. Is there a website that I can go to and learn about the public transportation? (for example, "such and such train will take you here...")
Others pointed out the main transit website, CTA's Transit Chicago , but you will have to know how to read a map and a timetable :-) Assuming you can do that, though, you should be fine. Also of note is that all Chicago's buses have arrival times available via the web and also via text messaging, so once you're familiar with the city you can use BusTracker - http://www.ctabustracker.com - to make riding buses even more convenient.

As for residences, I think renting a furnished room from someone might be your best bet. It's kinda like having a roommate, except usually more simple. You get a furnished room, the main occupant usually pays all utilities as part of the price, you almost never have to sign a lease, and the price is usually as cheap as - sometimes cheaper than - being in a roommate situation. There are probably websites that specialize in this, but you can also look on Craigslist. The only caveat I have is that if you're a terrible judge of character you may want to be cautious not because anything too terrible is likely to happen, but because a lot of things could happen that are potentially super-annoying if you are wrong about your impression of the person you rent from.

Anyway, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago