Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 42,153 times

Advertisements

we just moved to chicago in october and need to get out of our lease. we had no idea a family of six would be moving in upstairs and they are up all hours of the night, which keeps us and our one year old daughter from being able to sleep through the night. we hear yelling, stomping, creaky floors [which can't be helped], heavy boot steps, what sounds like wrestling, surround sound so loud we cannot hear our own tv, etc. We have talked to the landlord and the neighbors about the noise issues, but nothing ever changes. i cannot stand that my daughter can't sleep through the night because of the disrespectful upstairs neighbors. we are stressed beyond belief. reading through our lease, i see no clause about being able to terminate the lease early. are we totally stuck???
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,061,199 times
I'd sit down with a lawyer. Knowing a few friends with tenants, its very easy to find a loophole for tenants to break a lease.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,884,107 times
Not necessarily. Implied in every lease is a covenant of quiet enjoyment which entitles the leaseholder to be free from excessive noise and other such interferences from fellow tenants. I am an attorney, btw, but don't specialize in this area of the law, so I'd suggest contacting your local tenants' rights association for more information.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,226,231 times
I lived in an apartment a while back and my upstairs neighbor enojyed extremely loud and aggressive sex at ~2am, frequently (shaking walls and really loud moaning...waking us up). I complained to the office in letter every time, nicely, and not really blaming the woman upstairs. After about 2 months I stopped by the office in person and asked if I could break my lease and they agreed, since they couldn't seem to control my upstairs neighbors early morning escapades. Just an option you could try.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,433,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I lived in an apartment a while back and my upstairs neighbor enojyed extremely loud and aggressive sex at ~2am, frequently (shaking walls and really loud moaning...waking us up). I complained to the office in letter every time, nicely, and not really blaming the woman upstairs. After about 2 months I stopped by the office in person and asked if I could break my lease and they agreed, since they couldn't seem to control my upstairs neighbors early morning escapades. Just an option you could try.
This must have been one of the women I have known well in the past.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM

thanks you for all of the suggestions. we are going to look into having a lawyer look over our lease to try to terminate it legally. we have already expressed our desire to move to our landlord who replied, "well, you signed a lease so that's not going to happen". we have also asked him if we could find new tenants for him. we really don't want to leave him in the lurch, but we can't take not being able to sleep and to have our daughter not sleeping as well. any further suggestions or help in this matter will be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,136,597 times
What about subletting it?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
What about subletting it?
yes, we have asked the landlord if we could find subletters or someone he approves of to sign a new lease. waiting to see what he says, but from his initial reaction to our conversation i think he is going to make things as difficult as possible.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,884,107 times
Does the lease contain a clause on transferring the lease? If so, does it stipulate that the landlord must give approval to any assignment or sublease?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,707,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Does the lease contain a clause on transferring the lease? If so, does it stipulate that the landlord must give approval to any assignment or sublease?
Also, there may be an extra fee involved for Subletting. I agree to check with your local Tenant's Rights Agency (I know there's one in Chicago). They can send you a booklet with instructions on how to document the issue, send the documentation to your Landlord and exactly what your rights are.

I had neighbors in one place I lived in that came home drunk every night at 2:00 A.M. and would yell/fight with each other at that exact same time and it sounded like they were right outside my door! I stayed to the end of my lease (one year) and didn't renew, but I realize now I would've been better off having broken it at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago