Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM

306 posts, read 475,668 times

Advertisements

Many of us know that NYC is divided into boroughs, which I think as huge neighborhoods.

If Chicago was divided into boroughs, how many would there be, and where would they be? What would they be called? What characteristics would each borough tend to have?

I encourage you to be creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
Come on, NYC boroughs are not like huge neighborhoods. It's obviously pretty much geography and historical accident they were drawn that way.

Chicago doesn't have the vast water boundaries NYC does, but it has some. Therefore, glancing at a map, my five boroughs of Chicago are the north side, northwest/west side, loop/south/SW side, East Side/Hegewisch, and Goose Island.

Now isn't that helpful?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
north south and west lol I honestly have no idea

Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 PM

143 posts, read 440,292 times
Southside=Queens
West side=Bronx
North side=manhattan
Goose Island=Staten Island
Northwest side= Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Many of us know that NYC is divided into boroughs, which I think as huge neighborhoods.

If Chicago was divided into boroughs, how many would there be, and where would they be? What would they be called? What characteristics would each borough tend to have?

I encourage you to be creative.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
It would be divided into two boroughs: East Borough and West Borough. The dividing line would be at about LSD.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
This was done before.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...your-city.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-like-4-a.html

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Yes, I agree that "boroughs" just don't fit.

However if I were to compare parts of Chicago to parts of New York then:

Loop, Printers Row, the near north side (Mag Mile, Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, denser parts of Old Town) would be equivelent as Chicagos Manhattan.

Everything else east of the north branch (basically everything on the north side within 2-3 miles plus NW to Wicker Park might be equivalent to Brooklyn.

The rest of the Northwest side of Chicago could be compared to Queens, (although the far-far NW side is more like Milwaukee).

We really don't have anything equivalent to the Bronx. Chicagos "bad"/ghetto areas are more ghost-town/abandoned rustbelt-style areas. Maybe where the huge projects still stand is it equivalent to the Bronx.

Most of the west and south side is more equivalent to Detroit or Cleveland. Or Newark, NJ.

Although, Hyde Park U of C, could be considered similar to places such as Cambridge, MA or University City, MO (outside St. Louis where Washington U is).

We don't have something like Staten Island because there is no island. But I guess you could say that big areas on the far NW and far SW sides are like Staten Island culturally, and aesthetically without the hills.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The rest of the Northwest side of Chicago could be compared to Queens, (although the far-far NW side is more like Milwaukee).
People in Chicago with very little knowledge of Milwaukee always assume Milwaukee is more similar to Chicago than it really is. And people in Milwaukee with very little knowledge of Chicago always assume that Chicago is more similar to Milwaukee than it really is. As someone who moved to Chicago from Milwaukee, can we please stop with this? The cities really aren't that similar at all. They don't look similar. They are culturally different. And they have very different attitudes. The parts of the two cities that are the most similar are the post-industrial ruins of the former manufacturing districts.

In what ways are Norwood Park and Eddison Park like Milwaukee? Please be specific, and include references to actually areas in Milwaukee. I really don't see the similarities.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, I agree that "boroughs" just don't fit.

However if I were to compare parts of Chicago to parts of New York then:

Loop, Printers Row, the near north side (Mag Mile, Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, denser parts of Old Town) would be equivelent as Chicagos Manhattan.

Everything else east of the north branch (basically everything on the north side within 2-3 miles plus NW to Wicker Park might be equivalent to Brooklyn.

We really don't have anything equivalent to the Bronx. Chicagos "bad"/ghetto areas are more ghost-town/abandoned rustbelt-style areas. Maybe where the huge projects still stand is it equivalent to the Bronx.

Most of the west and south side is more equivalent to Detroit or Cleveland. Or Newark, NJ.

Although, Hyde Park U of C, could be considered similar to places such as Cambridge, MA or University City, MO (outside St. Louis where Washington U is).

We don't have something like Staten Island because there is no island. But I guess you could say that big areas on the far NW and far SW sides are like Staten Island culturally, and aesthetically without the hills.
well not to long ago the bad area were pretty dense(bronzeville/near west side)

and you're looking way too much into it.
simply put

nothside
NW side
west side
southside

the 4 "boroughs" for you

Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
People in Chicago with very little knowledge of Milwaukee always assume Milwaukee is more similar to Chicago than it really is. And people in Milwaukee with very little knowledge of Chicago always assume that Chicago is more similar to Milwaukee than it really is. As someone who moved to Chicago from Milwaukee, can we please stop with this? The cities really aren't that similar at all. They don't look similar. They are culturally different. And they have very different attitudes. The parts of the two cities that are the most similar are the post-industrial ruins of the former manufacturing districts.

In what ways are Norwood Park and Eddison Park like Milwaukee? Please be specific, and include references to actually areas in Milwaukee. I really don't see the similarities.
I've been going to Milwaukee about once a year for most of my life. Sometimes twice, sometimes not at all.

I will give you one reference. I stayed at a friends house who was interning at St. Lukes Medical hospital the summer before last. I was there for about three days. That was probably my longest one time spell in Milwaukee.

He was renting a house off Oklahoma and 30th. (I was able to identify this on google maps). How is this area not similar to Edison and Norwood Park? The houses look exactly the same. The heritage in these Chicago neighborhoods is predominantly German, Polish, and Italian.

The only thing that I can think of that is different is that, the Chicago neighborhoods in reference have more recent immigration, and incomes are maybe a little higher, and yes, some people might have more of an "attitude" because they get to say they live in Chicago and not Milwaukee, but their day-to-day lifestyle I'm sure is exactly the same.

From a global or even national scale, Chicago outside its vibrant, gentrified, or heavy immigrant neighborhoods is a lot like what you see in other midwestern cities. Now, its possible that based out of insecurities someone growing in Hedgewisch that moves to Lincoln Park, might deny the similarities but give me a break. Also other midwestern cities do have small areas that are vibrant/dense/gentrified or heavy immigrant areas but they are simply tiny compared to Chicago.

As a whole yes, I'm not arguing that in the early 21st Chicago and Milwaukee ahve a lot in common. But because all Great Lakes cities grew up through the same eras, built very similar housing, and attracted the similar immigrants from similar parts of the world they undoubtedly have similar roots, in a way thats different from cities on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago