Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
are you nuts? of course they sell by the slice!! would be pretty bad for biz not to!
A guy I know who owns a pizza joint in DuPage makes his whole pies square-cut thin and crispy but makes the pizzas he sells by the slice more New York style with a thicker, floppy crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Gotcha. So NYC style means the crust isn't crispy, which gets to the whole "fold-it-in-half" thing.

Thanks - that seems pretty trifling to me. Lord knows there are tons of Chicago pizza places with bready, chewy, bendable crusts. Like say, Domino's.

I just had no idea that was so desirable!
There's also a difference in sauce, Chicago-style being more herbal than New York style. New York-style also seems to be more "well-done" on balance, favoring more browning of the cheese than found on your typical Chicago thin-crust, though certainly there's places here that'll brown the cheese right up. Flavor of crust is apparently different too in addition to the texture differences highlighted by IrishTom. Many New Yorkers swear the difference is in the water, which can't be replicated elsewhere.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM

414 posts, read 303,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's also a difference in sauce, Chicago-style being more herbal than New York style. New York-style also seems to be more "well-done" on balance, favoring more browning of the cheese than found on your typical Chicago thin-crust, though certainly there's places here that'll brown the cheese right up. Flavor of crust is apparently different too in addition to the texture differences highlighted by IrishTom. Many New Yorkers swear the difference is in the water, which can't be replicated elsewhere.
just remember that NYC style needs to be broken down into two subgroups. by far the most common type would be "street pizza" which is the kind you fold. the more classic style is Neapolitano (served at lombardi's, grimaldi's, etc.) which has a thinner crust, more well done and it would crack if you tried to fold it in half.

i've had new haven pizza from frank pepe's, pretty damn good, Neapolitano style.

also don;t forget sicillian, aka square slice. L&B in bensonhurst, brooklyn has the best sicilian anywhere, its thick and has a cakelike crust. my family has gone there for 4 generations.

oh an yeah, its all about the water, why do you think our bagels are so damn good?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 PM

427 posts, read 463,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Can someone actually articulate what it is that differentiates NYC and Chicago thin crust pizza BESIDES cutting the pieces in pie form as opposed to squares?
Anyone that has ever eaten the pizza of mall denizen Sbarro has eaten New York style pizza. (The regular thin slice.)

It obviously is not the best pizza out of New York/inspired by New York pizza, but it is New York style.

Last edited by sydbarrett; 07-12-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
i've had new haven pizza from frank pepe's, pretty damn good, Neapolitano style.

The worst pizza I ever had was from Sally's in New Haven. Tough crust, bland sauce, poor quality cheese and pathetic sausage. Dominoes is better, I swear to Christ. The Sbarrro's pizza I had on the Ohio turnpike going there was far better. Hell, a Tombstone is better, WAY better.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That makes sense. Makes sense for beer, right?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM

414 posts, read 303,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The worst pizza I ever had was from Sally's in New Haven. Tough crust, bland sauce, poor quality cheese and pathetic sausage. Dominoes is better, I swear to Christ. The Sbarrro's pizza I had on the Ohio turnpike going there was far better. Hell, a Tombstone is better, WAY better.
i remember my worst pizza very well. it was at a pizza place in bar harbor, maine. went there with some buddies after camping. it was pretty much wonder bread with ketchup and melted polly-o string cheese. this was after a few drinks and we were bitchin up a storm and got some death stares. "f'in new yorkers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago