Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
If not Humboldt Park, what gritty areas do you anticipate pioneers will be moving into in the near future? When you say pioneers, who are you referring to?
As to the first question, I don't know. I could guess, but that would be about all I could do. As to the second question, the pioneer class has historically (and generally) been made up of mostly white artists, college students, gays and lesbians, and speculators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,946 times
Quote:
If not Humboldt Park, what gritty areas do you anticipate pioneers will be moving into in the near future? When you say pioneers, who are you referring to?
Avondale (Particular SE and E Avondale). East Pilsen (East of Ashland).

Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
I've been in Avondale for 8 years, and I hate the term "pioneer," which seems to be one those terms that gets thrown out there anytime a white 20 or 30-something moves to a neighborhood outside of the lakefront ones. Does the hispanic family across the street who's been there less time than I have get to be pioneers, or is it just reserved for white people?

I don't dislike the vast majority of my neighbors, and I didn't move there to flip/speculate, etc.

I grew up in LV and LP, and Avondale just feels comfortable, and of course the L stop and the expressway were key.

If by pioneers we're talking about clad-in-black 20-somethings who are by and large going to be gone before they hit 35, blech- those people don't improve anything. I find it offensive that the idea that a bunch of slackers show up translates to "improving" a neighborhood, as it implies all non-white people are undesirables, gangbangers, etc.

However, I will concede that upon being woken up my the idiot using a carhorn as a doorbell this morning, I realized with joy that by and large that is a problem that disappeared from my nook years ago.

People who want to improve their neighborhoods should worry less about stacking the deck in terms of "us vs them" and just get involved in the nitty-gritty stuff - shovel. pick up trash, even if it's not yours. phone in graffiti blasters as soon as you see it, etc.

And most importantly - GO OUTSIDE. It amazes me how many people want to just come home, pull in the garage, veg on the couch, etc. & without having any actual interactions with their neighbors just assume things will improve. Just being outside and working in your yard or basically not being a thug has the effect of dissuading thugs and punks from congregating on your block.

This ain't rocket science, but it does take some work. My parents moved to Lincoln and Aldine in 1967, and when they moved a bit further NW they said people told them they were crazy, moving in an Irish-Polish-Puerto Rican factory town ghetto. Who got the last laugh there...

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 03-03-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,345,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I find it offensive that the idea that a bunch of slackers show up translates to "improving" a neighborhood, as it implies all non-white people are undesirables, gangbangers, etc.
Not all non-white people are undesirables, however, the desirability of a neighborhood bears a fairly stark corollary to how 'white' that neighborhood is.
Until someone can reference a real-world example of a neighborhood that's 80% black being as 'desirable' (using standard metrics of 'desirability') as any given neighborhood that's 80% white, reality trumps theory.

Big urban places like ours can be tricky, in that you might have a designated community area that, within it's boundaries, is racially mixed so the statistics create the illusion of 'technical diversity' when in reality, that's just not the case. It's immediately clear once you're in that community, actually looking at who lives where, that said community isn't an example of 'diversity' as much as it is an example of rather arbitrary community lines not being reflective of demographic patterns and different races living in different parts of that community.

Last edited by PokerPlayer1; 03-03-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
As to the first question, I don't know. I could guess, but that would be about all I could do. As to the second question, the pioneer class has historically (and generally) been made up of mostly white artists, college students, gays and lesbians, and speculators.
So only white people can be classified as pioneers? What about Hispanic or Black artists? Can you be a minority and a hipster?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
Not all non-white people are undesirables, however, the desirability of a neighborhood bears a fairly stark corollary to how 'white' that neighborhood is.
Until someone can reference a real-world example of a neighborhood that's 80% black being as 'desirable' (using standard metrics of 'desirability') as any given neighborhood that's 80% white, reality trumps theory.

Cities can be tricky, in that you might have a designated community area that is mixed, so the statistics create the illusion of 'technical diversity' when in reality, that's just not the case. It's immediately clear once you're in that community, actually looking at who lives where, that it isn't an example of 'diversity' as much as it is an example of rather arbitrary community lines and different races living in different parts of it.
I'd pick Kenwood over Canaryville any day of the week.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
So only white people can be classified as pioneers? What about Hispanic or Black artists? Can you be a minority and a hipster?
In Chicagoland, the vast majority of "pioneers" are whites.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
That is why I used the words "historically" and "generally." Yes you can be a pioneer or hipster and be a minority. But the majority have been white, yes.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM

445 posts, read 1,345,230 times
Quote:
I'd pick Kenwood over Canaryville any day of the week.
Canaryville is a neighborhood, Kenwood is a community area. There are parts of Kenwood you would certainly not take over Canaryville, unless you're insane (or, unless you're black. In that case, yeah, I'd take Kenwood over Canaryville too. They can be mean there).

Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Can you be a minority and a hipster?
Only in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago