Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM

8 posts, read 43,107 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My wife and I will be moving to Chicago in a few months due to a job transfer. I will be working in the loop and my wife is not 100-percent sure were she will be working as of yet. She is a school teacher and will probably be looking for a position in a private school.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We went up there a few weeks ago in an attempt to figure out what neighbourhood we wanted to live in, and although we did figure out where we did not want to live, we are struggling with the desire to live in the high-rise environment of Streeterville/River North or moving to Lincoln Park. We will be renting first to figure out what and where we like, but I wanted to get some thoughts of people on this board in an attempt to get a different opinion. One thing I will say is that I found out that most people that I have talked with seem extremely partial to whatever neighbourhood they may live in and often have negative things to say about others. Which makes sense… they live where they live for a reason obviously. We are just looking for a nonbiased opinion.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We currently live in a small city in the south where everyone needs a car to get around. Our plan is to get rid of one car, and hold on the other for a few months to determine what utility we get out of it. Where my wife ends up working will also impact this. Including parking, we would like to spend roughly 1,800 a month on rent. I am thinking this would put us about roughly 1,600 for rent itself. One thing I did notice is that utilities seems to be included in a lot of places, excluding electric, especially the high-rises, and if indeed this is the case, this would give us another 200 a month for rent. So, if there are no utilities, 1,600, and 1,800 if there are utilities. One other thing I love about the high-rises is the fact that many of them seem to have a gym in them, which would eliminate another 100 in expenses for us.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, with all of that being said, is it possible to get a decent place for 1,600 - 1,800 a month in the Streeterville/River North area? We could go higher if needed, but I have a problem stomaching paying much more than that in rent. 2 bedrooms would be ideal, but 1 bedroom would work if there is a large living room and/or den. Oh……. And hardwood floors are a must, which is why I am guessing we should stick to looking at condos instead of apartment buildings. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lincoln Park seems like a nice neighbourhood, however my wife's mother grew up there in 60s/70s till they moved when she was in elementary school and her most vivid memories of the place are grey stones and walking past Latin Kings on the way to school in the morning. The later no longer seems to be the case anymore…. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Yeah the memories of Latin Kings in Lincoln Park are literally erased with the Mayor's mobile graffiti removal squads.

There are high rises with amenities in Lincoln Park, and the pluses of the Park and the wider range of resident oriented dining /shopping (as opposed to the more business /tourist oriented place in the other areas mentioned) tends to be more appealing in the long run, but I'm just going from my tastes and those of friends that have settled in LP so I completely understand your concern about bias...

In general the rates are very similar in all desirable areas, and I think that you could get a 2 bdr or 1bdr + den for the amount you want to spend BUT there is HUGE variability in stuff like utility and finishes / flooring. I know from experience that as soon as one put a qualifier on like "must have hardwood floors" AND "prefer in building gym" you are going to see rates SOAR from any kind of search or inquiry with real estate agent / apartment locator.

I would recommend getting as BROAD as list as possible and weighing buildings on a unit by unit basis -- odds are GREAT that you will find a distressed condo owner willing to rent for a pittance in a near top notch building and maybe finding that you can get a great deal on nice gym and easily spend under $50 in an energy efficient unit...

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks, and you mentioned some good points.

So with respect to Lincon Park, is there a certain area we should stay away from? Or perhaps streets we should try to stick east, north and/or south of? Personally I would rather come home every evening to one of the nice greystones we walked by instead of jumping on an elevator for fear of feeling like I am coming home to my hotel room every night.

When we went to LP, we actually stay near Depal U because we took the train there however we did do a good deal of walking and ended up having dinner at Asian place called Shine. It was a nice change from the mass quanity of chilli cheese dogs my wife became obsessed with over the course of the previous 2 days. Is the east side of LP like the area we were in? When I google earth it, the street view there seems to be, but you never really know.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Lincoln Park is college central now. It is also in my opinion overpriced. You can get the same apartment in River North/Streeterville for the same price that you can in LP. Also, the River North area tends to be more professionals and an older crowd.

Lincoln Park also has horrendous traffic, which makes it hard to get anywhere. Downtown isn't much better, but easier highway access. It is good to keep one car, two probably isn't necessary unless one of you works in the burbs.

There is no more gang activity in LP, but there is gang presence since gang members can go from neighborhood to neighborhood with no problem (fact of life in Chicago).

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Uggg… well we finished up college 7-8 years ago and as much as I would like to go back, seeing young, energetic college people everywhere we go may get old quick as well. So all of LP is college kids? I heard that there are a lot of young professionals there. Perhaps it is just the young professionals that still like to hang out at all of the college bars?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
It appears to me that North of Division which is LP is mostly college and slightly post college students. South of Division is where it becomes young professional (25-40 age range). That's just my perception of it.

LP is a great place to live, but the apartments are often filled with people who don't care about their surroundings. Young professional= more professional in appearance and maturity. The apartment buildings are kept nicer.

Of course you are THAT much closer to the Loop with Near North Side as opposed to LP. Depending on where you are in Streeter or River North, you might be able to walk to work in the Loop.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,465 times
  1. That's interesting. when did Division become the dividing line for LP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
It appears to me that North of Division which is LP is mostly college and slightly post college students. South of Division is where it becomes young professional (25-40 age range). That's just my perception of it.

LP is a great place to live, but the apartments are often filled with people who don't care about their surroundings. Young professional= more professional in appearance and maturity. The apartment buildings are kept nicer.

Of course you are THAT much closer to the Loop with Near North Side as opposed to LP. Depending on where you are in Streeter or River North, you might be able to walk to work in the Loop.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
  1. That's interesting. when did Division become the dividing line for LP?
Yep, North is the dividing line for LP....I believe the official boundries are:
Diversey (North)
Lake (East)
North (South)
Ashland (West)

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Okay. That makes sense, as I was told that South of North is Old Town.

So, with all of that being said, what section of LP would be the best to live if we are not too crazy about the college central fee? Or is there one? Or are we pretty much okay to look thoughout LP and will more or less get the same feeling everywhere? Is it like other neighborhoods where there may be a big difference between one block from another?

And is the Streeterville area touristy? We are from the tourist capital of the world, Orlando, but in town, one would not even know it. As long as you stay away from the disney / I-drive area in south Orlando, you are okay. Is Chicago the same way? Are there places we should stay away from in River North or Streeterville if we did not want to have tourist with cameras around thier necks asking us where stuff is while we strole down to the local coffee shop? We looked at a place we really liked, 474 North Lake Shore, but it is right in front of Navy Pier. Of course, with the weather, there are not many tourist around there, but I assume in the summer there are.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
If you look at the average sales prices and rents it is pretty darned clear these are NOT just college kids in LP.

As I said, you really have to go see the units available. In some buildings it will be obvious that there are people EXACTLY like the OP and his wife living very comfortably. Streeterville has more than its share of kids at Loyola or the NU professional schools too -- and while those folks would be older than a DePaul student the bigger difference is simply in the mix of things to do. There are a fair number of bars that try to foster the "sports and college" theme, but it is not Wrigleyville after a Cubs game or anything so obnoxious. The hey day of colleges hiring dozens of kids from one frat have long since past and the people that can pay rent in LP (or any other part of Chicago) tend to have a lifestyle not all that dissimilar from other office workers...

There are definite tourist corridors in River North and Streeterville, most are obvious, and weather related, but literally a few blocks off that corridor things are quiet again. The bigger issue that my friends that have moved from River North or Streetville report is that the day-to-day life is flat out better paced in LP. While in theory being "right down town" sounds great, there is a "sameness" going to grocery and dry cleaner and such in the high rise and not leaving your cocoon that is easier to mix things up in LP. You can hit a fancy restaurant or a bar or diner. Wander in the park or zoo. Actually wade around Lake Michigan. Much more pleasant than the overwhelming asphalt of places closer to the business district...

The PRIMARY land use in LP is residential, and pretty much always has been. Yes there are shops and some businesses, but nothing like the intensive office and retail mega density of Streeterville.

Last edited by chet everett; 02-24-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: