U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

28 posts, read 46,156 times

Advertisements

What about Mayfair and Jefferson Park? Does anyone think those neighborhoods will improve in market value over time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 PM

2,419 posts, read 5,676,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
What about Mayfair and Jefferson Park? Does anyone think those neighborhoods will improve in market value over time?
At some point, yes. With Jefferson Park, it will mostly be relegated to property close to the transit center. That condo unit across the street from the el is under construction now, and I hear there is definitely demand for those units. With any luck, the proposal for brand new units at Milwaukee/Lawrence will go through - this would really help with the vibrancy of the neighborhood. The biggest draw to being in this part of Jeff Park is that it's a 10 minute el ride to Logan Square, 15 minutes to Wicker Park, and 18 minutes to River West.

Mayfair is a sleepy, residential neighborhood which is mostly known for being in the bungalow belt. There are some beautiful homes, but aside from some low-end commerce on Lawrence and Pulaski, there isn't too much going for it. Further to the south is the Mayfair metra station and Montrose blue line, which are pretty much in the Old Irving neighborhood, which has a lot going for it.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 6,397 times
Jefferson Park has potential however, like the previous poster stated, the closer you are to the Transit Center, the more potential. You could venture a little further from the Transit Center provided you are in the Beaubien school zone. With the exception of the Transit Center area, what Jeff Park lacks is a shopping district. Portage Park has Six Corners, it has the strip near Irving and Central, and a couple of other blocks long store front areas. Mayfair is very sleepy with no real shopping district. I think some prime areas of future appreciation lie within .5 miles of Six Corners, Irving Park and Central intersection, or any of the blue line stations. Old Irving is great but, the entry price now for a gut rehabbed home is around $500k. Why spend that when you can go a few blocks west to Portage and get something larger with comprable finishes for $400k?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:46 AM

28 posts, read 46,156 times
What about Forest Glen's future?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM

2,419 posts, read 5,676,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
What about Forest Glen's future?
Forest Glen is similar to Mayfair, just further out and more expensive. There's the Forest Glen metra to get you places, but aside from that, there is very little commerce. I think the main draw to Forest Glen is if you're a city worker and you want a bigger lot with a nicer house. And, as the name of the neighborhood states, it butts up against the forest preserve and all of the homes have tons of greenery and trees, which I love.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 291 times
Wow, it's so interesting to read these 10 year old posts about Portage Park and how things have changed in 2020. I live on the east side of Portage Park at Cicero and Grace and at least in this area, the sudden surge in the Hispanic population from about 10 years ago is reversing. The low income Hispanics are leaving really quickly. You have basically middle income Hispanic families who are still here.

There are homes selling for $600-$700K and a lot of realtors are referring to this as Old Irving Park when Old Irving starts two block east of me at the train tracks. They also claim that the train tracks that separate Old Irving from Portage Park might become the next 606 trail in a lot of the real estate listings. The entire 60641 zip code is priced pretty high. West Portage Park which is 60634 averages lower home prices.

My block is mostly non-ethnic white Americans with a couple of Polish and Irish families. There is only one Mexican family on my street and the rest of the Hispanics are mostly middle class Puerto Ricans or South Americans. There's also a few Filipino families. And usually when a Hispanic family or a long time white family sells, younger whites move in to their homes, some of them are the hipster types that took over Logan Square.

Personally, I really don't care what the racial make up of eastern Portage Park becomes as long as it's middle class. I have noticed the businesses that have opened, especially some of the restaurants are geared toward middle class folks. I hope the remaining businesses that cater to more lower class and ghetto type people such as laundromats and cheap corner stores, pack up and go. We could use another sushi bar or coffee shop around here.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:02 PM

12,575 posts, read 14,522,153 times
Pretty cool you dug up one of these old threads to update it. I imagine the families selling are ecstatic about the cash windfalls they are getting.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:51 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,061,665 times
I recently looked at the sale prices of a couple of homes I owned in the area 25+ years ago and was absolutely stunned!

Now I need a Roma's fix!

Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 AM

2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
Good morning,

Has anyone been to the National Veterans Art Museum in Portage Park? I would like to take my dad there once it re-opens, due to the Covid pandemic.

We are both Latino, so if we eventually DO go, there will "temporarily" be a couple of Latinos in the future of Portage Park (for a short period of time)

P.S. Anyone here saying "Latinx" instead of "Latino" ?.... just curious. I didn't even know it was a preferred word for some, until the last year!

Have a great Sunday!

Old 10-18-2020, 10:24 PM

12,575 posts, read 14,522,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning,

Has anyone been to the National Veterans Art Museum in Portage Park? I would like to take my dad there once it re-opens, due to the Covid pandemic.

We are both Latino, so if we eventually DO go, there will "temporarily" be a couple of Latinos in the future of Portage Park (for a short period of time)

P.S. Anyone here saying "Latinx" instead of "Latino" ?.... just curious. I didn't even know it was a preferred word for some, until the last year!

Have a great Sunday!
The only people that say latinx in my experience are non spanish speakers that want to be hip and "progressive". Almost all woke white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago