Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,935 times

Advertisements

We are a family that have recently moved to Chicago (Lincoln Park) from Sweden. And yes, I know we should give it some time but... We have two children, 4 and 5 years, and I am worried about how we are going to make a good life for them here. I am working full time but my husband is staying at home with them for the moment. What kind of activities are there for children in their age? As it looks now we can not afford having them in some kind of preschool but they really need to meet other children and make friends. Does anyone have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,642,292 times
Get to the suburbs...

Seriously I have neighbors that are in the exact situation (moved from Sweden to Lincoln Park with school age children) you are, and they do not for a minute regret their decision to get out of Chicago and into a place where they have a better life...

Stay at home dads are not particularly common in either Chicago or the burbs, but the real disadvantage of a dad staying home in Chicago is that the assumption will that his partner is also male, not ideal...

Short term, if you cannot move, I think the best solution is to try to take maximum advantage of the improving weather and the things that the City does offer (museums, concerts, etc) but long term you will be better off in a desirable suburban area...

Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,093,473 times
That's funny -- I have at least a dozen friends/acquaintances (other Lab school families) who live in LP with young kids. They act like they died and went to heaven -- would never move, anywhere, and certainly not to the burbs. What kind of activities are you looking for that don't exist there? I live on the south side and take my kids twice a week (for music lessons and to Language Stars). We spend a few hours in Oz park when the weather is nice. Tons of families out.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Hmm Lab tuition? University of Chicago Laboratory Schools: Admissions » Tuition YOWSIE!!!!
Quote:
As it looks now we can not afford having them in some kind of preschool
Now I do not doubt for a moment that living in Lincoln Park for those of sufficient means could be like "dying and going to heaven" , especially those who also have the substantial disposable assets to invest in music lessons and Language Stars, but in the suburbs there are also lovely parks that make Oz look like some ones tired old back yard and you'll find that you can utilize much less expensive Park District programs for music and similar enrichments.

This is not about suburbs vs City, it is about appropriateness and URGENT need.

The key is that those who live in the City happily with children probably lived in the area prior to having children -- MUCH different when you move with kids that are already school age. Far less time to build the sort of connections needed to give you confidence that your kids are going to be in a situation where everything will work out.

If you read my posts on this subject I too have friends that have lived in Chicago before they have kids are they are completely comfortable with their decision. It is not a knee jerk thing, it is a fact that the CPS does a very poor job of making it possible to get kids into a nice school if you move into the area after the selective admissions period closes. The competitive nature of the desirable neighborhoods in Chicago is a further hindrance to getting your kids into a sort of situation that you can feel good, even if affordability were not factor. The higher costs of City living clearly do impact people even with very handsome salaries.

Again, two children, 4 & 5 -- one probably should be going to kindergarten in the fall. Moved to Chicago, after the selective admissions deadline. Problems. Solution? MOVE.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,279,312 times
I know plenty of people who have children in the Lincoln Park area and they're doing just fine.

It's not URGENT that you leave, but most people with young families tend to be in the suburbs. It's CERTAINLY not as dire as a few of the posts have sounded. You may very well have lived in a fairly urban area of Sweden as well.

If you just moved here though, one thing is you should wait a few months until spring and summer open up. Moving to Chicago from November through February is going to give you a VERY different view of the city than if you moved here from May through October.

This city is actually 2 cities for most aspects. The Chicago in the winter, and the Chicago in the summer. One of the biggest transformations of a top tier city anywhere in the country.

Welcome to the area though! My family is Swedish, but we came over between the 1870's and 1920's. I've been to Sweden quite a bit, love having it as my heritage.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,093,473 times
I didn't mean to recommend the Lab School (though I realize it sounded that way). I do think,though, Chet's urgency about moving to the suburbs is way premature. First, there are endless kid things to do in LP. Secondly, there are huge advantages to avoiding the suburbs, depending on your taste, of course -- and these advantages are often more evident to Europeans (anecdotal I realize but it makes sense). Obviously, if the public elementary school is unacceptable and you cannot afford private school, a move is necessary. Can you tell us what district you are in so we can comment? Without this info urging you to flee to the burbs seems premature. Your concerns seemed as much or more social than school-related.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,461,811 times
Is your neighborhood CPS school Lincoln Elementary? That is a high quality CPS school and if you are districted in (type your address here: School Locator Page - Department of School Demographics and Planning) you can enroll a kindergartner at anytime. There are also park district classes (Chicago Park District: Programs) to fill up the summer days. The museums and parks are plentiful. The zoo is free. The lake is in your backyard.

I was never hurting for anything to do with my kiddo when I lived over there, you just need a bit to discover all the cheap and free programs the city has to offer.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM

72 posts, read 262,035 times
Chicago Park District offers many kids programs for cheap - just tough getting in there.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,080,981 times
you have one of the largest city park systems in America just east of you

Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Default While size may matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
you have one of the largest city park systems in America just east of you
... for kids the age of the OP the thing is "programs" and is the regard the Chicago Park District offers very few options in the core of Lincoln Park. I have friends and they had to truck their little guy way up to the Northwest Side for that kind of thing vs suburban park districts that put the youth soccer as the center piece of their offerings.

I have heard that things somewhat skewed toward the "corners" of the City, and that is why insider efforts (like the Soccer field deal with Latin School) so infuriates folks that are well off enough to live in near-to-the Lake neighborhood but not dripping with funds for private options.

Believe me, if you have experience with this sort of thing it is maddening to hear just how pig headed Chicago can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago