Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

94 posts, read 375,352 times

Advertisements

So I just bought a new Trek 7.1FX bike. It's my first bike I've ever owned in Chicago, and I am just concerned about keeping it as safe and unstolen as possible. Please tell me if I am missing anything...

I bought a OnGaurd u-lock (without the circular lock) along with an extra cable to always keep it locked up when I go out. I've seen some people take off their front wheel or seat post and take it with them to prevent theft, is this really necessary?

Also, I have a pair of lights (cheap $30 ones) and a mirror on the bike as well, do you think I should remove these any time I go out and lock up the bike?

To be honest it won't be out of my sight for long periods of time (perhaps a couple hours at most at a time). When I'm home I have it locked up inside our apartment.

Any other preventative measures I should take? I'd hate to have my first bike stolen!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'd remove anything that can be easily removed and not easily locked up. That includes the seat and lights. There are too many people out there who will take stuff just because they can, not because it's worth anything to them or anyone else. Easily removable bike parts and accessories are a favorite.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Drover's right, but you can get a seat leash - best $10 you'll ever spend. I've had bikes stolen, but never just a seat.

Not sure what this lock is you're using, I have the NYC Kryptonite chain & recommend it, it's big enough to get my frame and front wheel.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Once I forgot to remove my front light and someone stole it, but not the thingie that holds it onto the bike--so all they got was a really small flashlight that blinks...dumb and crooked I guess. I am with drover, anything not securely attached should be removed.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
When you lock it up, thread the cable though the front wheel as well as the frame. The rear wheel is good too if possible, but it is harder to remove, but not impossible.

Use a heavy cable type locking assembly, a chain can be easily cut with bolt cutters in half a second. Cable is much harder to cut since it crushes instead of solid.

Good luck on your biking adventures!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
My first suggestion would have been to not have gotten a new bike in the first place. Its going to be shiny and slick and attract attention. What you want is a beater. I actually know people who bought new bikes, but then removed all the decals and purposely scratched up the paint job so it wouldnt be attractive to a potential thief.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM

97 posts, read 255,271 times
my girlfriend and my bike was stolen once and we got new bikes, however we had to replace 3 seats once in 3 week period, so did you ask for the onguard locks for the seats? because thats what we used ever since

Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Once you have the seat properly adjusted heli-arc it to the post.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default How heart breaking... A thievin' lothario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHaugens View Post
my girlfriend and my bike was stolen once
Same guy stole both your actual girlfriend as well as your bicycle?!?

Just kidding, I know it is amazing the speed and efficiency with which even three or four bikes can be stolen together. Very disheartening. Further agree that you should get a seat leash if you want to still be able to adjust your seat height on the fly (come in handy if you sometime head to hilly areas in WI or MI) as well as getting a locking replacement for the quick release skewer on the front wheel and/or ALWAYS threading the lock / cable through both wheel, frame and fixed back rack.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
When you lock it up, thread the cable though the front wheel as well as the frame. The rear wheel is good too if possible, but it is harder to remove, but not impossible.
Rear wheel's generally just as easy to remove and it's more costly to replace, so I would prioritize that. If you take a little time when you lock up, you should be able to get the frame and one wheel with the u-lock and then the other wheel and the saddle (through the rails) with the cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: