Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 15,789 times

Advertisements

I am a 19 yr old female planning on moving to chicago in a short time. I am from southwest missouri so I am not form a BIG city but what most missouri-ans would clal a big city. I am looing for apartments in chicago and I need to know what zip codes to avoid. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM

26 posts, read 105,662 times
If you are 19 and want to live in Chicago and have sufficient funds, I suggest Wicker Park, the Loop, Hyde Park. All very close or in downtown, all close to the nightlife.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlybrat60643 View Post
If you are 19 and want to live in Chicago and have sufficient funds, I suggest Wicker Park, the Loop, Hyde Park. All very close or in downtown, all close to the nightlife.
I disagree on Hyde Park -- too dull for young singles and too hard to get to the north side without a car. Hyde Park is, however, a great place for families.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
You have to be more specific about yourself. What is your limit on rent? Since you're only 19, I'm assuming you probably won't be able to afford the trendiest spots(Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, anywhere in the downtown area) in Chicago, unless you're getting a studio. You're too young to legally go into bars and even some clubs. The most affordable places are on the southside, and yes there are some safe neighborhoods in that part of the city. Hyde Park is one of them. There are a bunch of college age students in Hyde Park. Maybe the westside is more affordable, but I wouldn't advice anyone to live over there right now, unless its the West Loop.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 33,654 times
Default From my experience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverneverlandlover View Post
I am a 19 yr old female planning on moving to chicago in a short time. I am from southwest missouri so I am not form a BIG city but what most missouri-ans would clal a big city. I am looing for apartments in chicago and I need to know what zip codes to avoid. THANKS!
You would do best living north. I always suggest that area to first-timers. I did a lot of work in the past with people similar to your situation. First remember that Chicago is Chicago = city life is just that - city life. No matter where you go or what you do there's always going to be good and bad parts of all the inner city areas. As a true Chicagoian knows - even the people that live on the Gold Coast have 'issues' too.

Good neighborhoods:
Andersonville/Edgewater/Lakewood
Rogers Park
Lakeview
Wrigleyville
Ravenswood
Lincoln Square
Wicker Park
Lincoln Park/Depaul - you're 19 so I'm going to assume you don't have an awesome paying job so in order to live here you will need roommates
Uptown - most would say no but in my opinion when you get a few blocks away from the actual el stops it's nice

If you have criteria and think you're ready then call Chicago Apartment Finders provides a free apartment rental service in Chicago IL. - it's free and they help you find what you're looking for. Even if they don't at least you get a ride around some areas that you're considering to see what's out there and what the neighborhoods are like.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 78,201 times
Default help please

Hi folks

I am also in similar situation ...i read this thread and really appreciate for ur replies.

the one you listed down as safe areas can you please tell ..do indians-asians live there i meant from India not any other country..

please help

Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 49,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snehasaggi View Post
Hi folks

I am also in similar situation ...i read this thread and really appreciate for ur replies.

the one you listed down as safe areas can you please tell ..do indians-asians live there i meant from India not any other country..

please help
Hi snehasaggi

Try looking at West Rogers Park ....
http://www.dreamtown.com/neighborhoods/west-rogers-park.html

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 32,277 times
im a family of 5 looking to move to IL and i found this interesting... justcurious why not move to "hydepark" right now?- is was just about to start searching and will wait till u reply, thanks....

Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miduisa View Post
im a family of 5 looking to move to IL and i found this interesting... justcurious why not move to "hydepark" right now?- is was just about to start searching and will wait till u reply, thanks....
Hyde Park is good for families. For a young single person it might not be the best choice. Hyde Park itself is perfectly fine.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you work at the UofC or associated institutions Hyde Park is a pretty good option. Some folks balk at the high cost of tuition at UofC Lab Schools for PreK-12 graders and relative gap between that and public schools, but the combination of good commute and access to excellent education for those that can afford it are hard to beat.

Hyde Park is both quieter than other hip neighborhoods to the north and more costly so it is not for everybody, but those who appreciate it unique pluses tend to be very protective of the area and even foster a kind of solidarity among their neighbors that is kind of rare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: