U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 20,075 times

Advertisements

I'm single in my mid 20's and I've decided to move from the burbs to the city. At first I was dead set on LP, but I couldn't find any places that I liked. After looking around a bit I found a great place in Old Town and another great place in Streeterville.

But everywhere I read that these two neighborhoods are filled with older people and that I'd like it more in LP.

I'm trying to figure out if I couldn't get the LP experience while living in Streeterville. LP has a neighborhoody feel, but I don't really know what that means. I've never lived in the city before... what kinds of things do you do in a neighborhood like LP/LV during the day? I'm trying to figure the difference it would make in day to day life, cause if I were there only for the nightlife, LP is a 5-10 minute cab ride away, and that's not a big deal.

Would you settle for a great place in a nearby neighborhood or a mediocre place in a great neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM

28,461 posts, read 79,189,202 times
Streeterville and Old Town certainly do not have exclusively "old people" but there is quite a difference between being able to sorta stumble into a breakfast place in Lakeview and see some of the same crowd that you did the night before in a bar and going into a place that is more 'business oriented' in neighborhoods like Old Town or Streeterville. That same slightly "less casual" ethic caries over to things like jogging / bicycling, where odds of encountering some one that is closer in age and lifestyle increases...

Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM

818 posts, read 2,030,707 times
I usually take this decision to be about whether you prefer to be out or at home. Some people don't like to spend too much time at home. For them, the right location is much more critical. Others like to host parties periodically, or enjoy a full evening of watching TV, reading a book, relaxing, etc. from time to time (or even more often than that). For those people, a comfortable home is probably more important than what is around them.

I am not sure how picky you are being with respect to finding a place that you like, or what you mean when you say Lincoln Park. Old town is actually considered part of the Lincoln Park community area, which also extends west of Ashland. Personally, I tend to see little to no difference between Lincoln Park and Lakeview. They both seem to have the same atmosphere and the same type of people, with Lakeview being slightly cheaper because the train ride downtown is longer, and it is also harder to get to I-90/94.

I agree with Chet that Old Town and Streeterville are not exclusively for Older People, but I think Old Town would be somewhat closer the the experience you are looking for than Streeterville. When it comes down to it, if it were me in the situation, I would try to get a place in the neighborhood I desire, and if not, pretty close to it. You do get some older people in Old Town (North and Wells) than you do, say, near Fullerton and Lincoln, so maybe the place in Old Town that you really like will do. Otherwise, it seems as though the area you are looking is bound to produce an acceptable place with some more detailed searching, or the help of friends/ word of mouth.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 20,075 times
Thanks for the replies guys.

You're right SJaye, I guess it comes down to deciding between neighborhood and home. I work from home, so I spend more time there than most people. I couldn't find a place in LP had the same 'wow' factor as one I saw in Streeterville. In Old Town I saw Eugenie Terrace and it was nice.

I think I'll be fine with Streeter as long as there are some people my age during the day and it doesn't completely die at night. And as far as night life closer to my age I can take a quick trip to LP if need be.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 9,496,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedicar View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

You're right SJaye, I guess it comes down to deciding between neighborhood and home. I work from home, so I spend more time there than most people. I couldn't find a place in LP had the same 'wow' factor as one I saw in Streeterville. In Old Town I saw Eugenie Terrace and it was nice.

I think I'll be fine with Streeter as long as there are some people my age during the day and it doesn't completely die at night. And as far as night life closer to my age I can take a quick trip to LP if need be.
Exactly.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:37 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,187,104 times
I would say that demographically, old Town and Gold Coast, Streeterville etc, tend to have a slightly older population, because essentially those were the first neighborhoods to gentrify. Back in the 60's, a number of younger people started wanting to stay in the city, to be close to their jobs, and picked Gold Coast and Old Town. A lot of these people stayed in the area and, 40 years later, they are no longer 25 but are instead 65.

Also, there has been a documented migration in the gay population accross Chicago, starting in the 1930's. At that time, the area around Water Tower on Michicagn ave, was considered a gay neighborhood! As rents increased, the gay population has migrated further and further north, gentrifying areas as they went, to the point where Andersonville is now the "new" place for gays to live.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,189,202 times
Putting aside the fact that unless you are talking about some kind of timeline that stretches out before WWII, I think you need to check the age of the buildings in all those neighborhoods...

There are a far number of people that retire to Chicago's lakefront neighbors from other parts of the region, but that certainly does not make it likely that any one stays in area for 40 years.

Really you need to look at both the costs, commuting patterns and even census tract data if you think that population densities / demographics have not changed a great deal in all the lakefront areas over time...

Streeterville IS PRETTY DEAD on most evening, and that is BIG DIFFERENCE from Lakeview, Lincoln Park or the sub area of Old Town. Seriously, walking around at even 7 - 8 PM is a huge huge difference.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,368,395 times
I don't think Old Town is much different than Lincoln Park. The building you referenced is in a great location, I subleased a place a block west on Wells. Streeterville is more touristy feeling to me.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 107,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I would say that demographically, old Town and Gold Coast, Streeterville etc, tend to have a slightly older population, because essentially those were the first neighborhoods to gentrify. Back in the 60's, a number of younger people started wanting to stay in the city, to be close to their jobs, and picked Gold Coast and Old Town. A lot of these people stayed in the area and, 40 years later, they are no longer 25 but are instead 65.

Also, there has been a documented migration in the gay population accross Chicago, starting in the 1930's. At that time, the area around Water Tower on Michicagn ave, was considered a gay neighborhood! As rents increased, the gay population has migrated further and further north, gentrifying areas as they went, to the point where Andersonville is now the "new" place for gays to live.
And when that new area is Evanston, Lake County, or Wisconsin, we'll have a big party & the brews will be on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago