Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times

Advertisements

I know the land south of Roosevelt b/w Clark and the river was once a rail yard, and was also owned by the incredible Tony Rezko at some point ... but does anyone know which railroad owned it, had it been a rail yard forever, and/or anywhere I can find some information about it?

Also, does anyone know anything about the land north of Roosevelt b/w Clark and the river? I found an article saying that some bank was going to put a major part of it's company in that area a few years ago but right now it looks like (as far as street view goes) there's some activity but not much. I guess that was a rail yard as well? anyone know where to find information about that area as well?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
I believe Soo Line or Baltimore and Ohio Railroad owned it.

Read the page on the link below. It should help you a bit.

Grand Central Station (Chicago) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I believe Soo Line or Baltimore and Ohio Railroad owned it.

Read the page on the link below. It should help you a bit.

Grand Central Station (Chicago) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for that info. I guess the rest of the land went along with that station? Just wondering because this entry doesn't really say anything about land south of Harrison. (or i could be too tired to read it correctly.)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
That area from Polk to 18th actually use to be part of the river as it wound around towards Lake Michigan - but the river was straightened and moved to the west in 1929. As someone pointed out, there was a train complex and tracks in the area - but the land was created right when the great depression started, so I believe it was mostly left vacant. After that the white flight and manufacturing in the area declined, and I think it was just never properly developed.

Although the Roosevelt Collection and Target are on the north side of Roosevelt, and fill in a LOT of that formally vacant land.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mvDzP14rOP...0/IMG_0280.JPG

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 30,047 times
great question, and super response.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 38,720 times
Isn't that part of where the notorius levee district once stood?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
Isn't that part of where the notorius levee district once stood?
No, the levee was further down, around where the Hilliard Homes are.

Clearly I'm writing a paper about the south loop. I wish there was a thumbs down smiley because boy, I hate that class.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
I highly recommend this:

At Home in the Loop, Lois Wille, Book - Barnes & Noble

Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM

258 posts, read 760,187 times
The land nearest the river was owned by the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal, and served as approach tracks to Grand Central Station as well as freight houses, team tracks, and similar facilities. The land nearer Clark belonged to the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific and the New York Central, and served similar functions for LaSalle Street Station. The line in between the two was not straight, and is best seen in the color maps that accompany
Chicago (Ill.). Citizens’ Committee on River Straightening. The straightening of the Chicago River. Press of James T. Igoe Co., 1926
such as this one:

Here's what it looked like as the river straightening neared completion in 1928:

The portion south of Roosevelt had a string of old tank cars on it as late as the mid 90s, probably so it could be claimed as railroad land for tax purposes.

The railroads expanded dramatically here in the 1880s-90s. Before that, part of this area was residential, some of it notoriously bad tenements housing Italian immigrants. But some portions had been used by the railroads since they arrived in the 1850s. The Rock Island, for instance, had a big grain elevator on part of the land in the 19th century. The Sanborn's Fire Insurance maps, available online through Chicago Public Library, show the details for various years.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 AM

^^ oooh thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago