Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 21,261 times

Advertisements

My last time posting here was sometime in 2008. Husband and I found a place in EGV, love it but looking for something cheaper now and closer to downtown.

That said, I have no idea where I want to go! I haven't exactly had the time to drive around but I'm curious about the locations below:

W Fargo Ave & N Rogers Ave in Rogers Park
N Keeler & W Armitage in Hermosa?
N Drake & W Diversey

We're basically looking for under $800 1br (or 2 if we're lucky), utilities, balcony. Parking would be nice but I know that's hit or miss. I'm originally from the city (95th and Dan Ryan to be exact) so I'm quite aware of city living but I'd prefer less "issues".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
None of those addresses look particularly good. But, if you lived near 95th and the Ryan, you're ready for anything.

That's a pretty wide range of addresses. Any particular reason for that?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
None of those addresses look particularly good. But, if you lived near 95th and the Ryan, you're ready for anything.
I would say I'm used to it but definitely not ready for it again! That's why I live in Elk Grove Village now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
That's a pretty wide range of addresses. Any particular reason for that?
There's really not particular reason, I just have no clue where I want to go. My first choice was in Rogers Park but then I've read on here and heard from others that it's blah. Another location I've been considering is Lincoln Square/Ravenswood. The locations I provided above were just places I've found on Craigslist. Or I can stay comfortable out here in a cheaper place but the whole idea was to get back into the city.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longer View Post
I would say I'm used to it but definitely not ready for it again! That's why I live in Elk Grove Village now.

There's really not particular reason, I just have no clue where I want to go. My first choice was in Rogers Park but then I've read on here and heard from others that it's blah. Another location I've been considering is Lincoln Square/Ravenswood. The locations I provided above were just places I've found on Craigslist. Or I can stay comfortable out here in a cheaper place but the whole idea was to get back into the city.

Lincoln Square/Ravenswood is really nice imho. I live just west of there.

I'm not too hot about RP overall, but some people love it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM

^^Is West of there Albany Park?

How's the area in Albany Park north of Lawrence between Pulaski and California?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longer View Post
^^Is West of there Albany Park?

How's the area in Albany Park north of Lawrence between Pulaski and California?
Yes.

And that area is fine, save for some fairly random muggings, burglaries and other such things. There is gang presence here, so take that FWIW. I prefer Albany Park east of Kimball and South of Lawrence, but that's just me. It seems cleaner and more tranquil. Just above the river (Foster) is a pretty good area too; that's the North Park neighborhood.

I pay $685 for a good sized 1BR where I'm at in Albany Park. From what I've seen by perusing nearby properties and ads, you could do the same. Heat is mostly radiator, so it would be included in the rent.

If you could stretch to $800 and you really wanted to improve your quality of life, Ravenswood/Lincoln Square/North Center are vastly better IMHO. As soon as I get a raise or make more money (ha!) I'm headed east to one of those neighborhoods.

I would suggest Ravenswood Manor or Ranvenswood Gardens, but those are both mostly SFH and the very few 2 flats are pretty expensive for some reason. ($1400 or so for 2br.)

Old 03-25-2010, 03:13 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale & Logan Sq. likely all have places you're looking for - there's no substitute for actually walking/biking/driving around and checking out for rent signs, where I am there are plenty of owner-occupied 2-flats that I am guessing are never advertised on the internet (based on what friends have told me when doing searches on-line as opposed to in 3D).

Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Albany Park, Irving Park, Avondale & Logan Sq. likely all have places you're looking for - there's no substitute for actually walking/biking/driving around and checking out for rent signs, where I am there are plenty of owner-occupied 2-flats that I am guessing are never advertised on the internet (based on what friends have told me when doing searches on-line as opposed to in 3D).
This is very true. There are probably 5 apartments on my STREET ALONE that are not adverstised on the 'net. The only way I came upon these was by actually putting feet to the ground and exploring.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks everyone! We're going to drive around in these areas today and look for rent signs. I would love to get in a 2-flat rather than a large complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago