Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,264 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, so, I'm a 19 year old male freshman at Elon University in NC. I've lived in a small town environment in NC for basically my whole life and I have to say that I'm over it and need to experience something different and more satisfying.

My first choice was, of course, NYC. But I spoke to people including one guy that lived in Chicago for a while and they said Chicago is so much cheaper and an amazing place. I visited the city once before for a day and was in love. I plan on working for a while here in NC to save up a good amount of money and figure out things with my parents. Then, ASAP, I plan on finding the cheapest kind of apartment. I'm looking for something definitely under $1000 and, if possible, under $800. What would be the best neighborhoods for this?

Also, I'm kind of an artsy/musical/film guy. I plan to look for more education there to study film. I love going to concerts, mainly indie stuff. I read on the internet that Roger's Park is very culturally diverse and got the assumption that it was pretty cheap and has the beach really close. I would love any advice on this. PLEASE. I need to get out of North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
You won't have a problem finding a studio under 1000.00 in the good neighborhoods along the Lakefront (Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc.). In Roger's Park, you can easily find one for 800.00. You are correct that Roger's Park is diverse and the safest part, in my opinion, is close to Loyola University and near the Lake (I also happen to like living close to the Lake).

You might also enjoy Lakeview. It is a bit more upscale and you can easily get something under 1000.00 (studio). Lots of 20 somethings, cafes, street life on Broadway (mapquest 3200 N Broadway for the epicenter).

Some folks also enjoy Wicker Park (more inland) but I like being close to the trails that run by the Lake.

Keep in mind you that most landlords will require proof of employment before renting an apartment (unless you have co-signers or give an extra large security deposit). If you are enrolled at a University, landlords in those neighborhoods are sometimes more flexible but still require co-signers with excellent credit.

Chicago is a great city (and so is New York). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Ahh, thank you so much for the very helpful reply. one question, would it be hard finding work there? cause you mentioned that the landlords want proof of employment. considering that i'm a student and will probably only be about 20 or 21 if i decide to move there.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
As far as studying film, look into Columbia College. I'm pretty sure that is more focused on media, etc than any of our other colleges and universities.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
You will probably have to find a co signor (parent, friend, etc).

Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 37,600 times
I just moved from Raleigh, NC this past November so I can sympathize with your desire to get out of NC.

I'd also recommend Bucktown, it's a bit more hipster like and cheaper than most of the neighborhoods by the Lakefront. The job market here is pretty tough imo, though I suppose it depends on what kind of job you're looking for. (Finance jobs are hard to come by, but Dunkin Donuts is hiring, if you catch my drift)

Just remember, your budget's going to get you a studio apartment or a really tiny one bedroom. I know in NC, you can a decent one bedroom apartment (living room, laundry, bed room, kitchen) for about $600 so be prepared to take a step down in living arrangements. (Obviously the safer and bigger, the more expensive).

But the best part about this city is that there's so much to do that you never have to feel restricted by your living arrangements. Just come here with a plan and be ready for the change, because it is definitely a change of pace from NC. But if you acclimate well and take in the city, it will be very good to you.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,294 times
The best advice I can give you is that it's OK to date redheads or casually hang around with them, but never, ever enter in to a long term, committed relationship with one. There's a reason god felt compelled to distinguish them from the rest of the population. Red means danger. He was warning us.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
The best advice I can give you is that it's OK to date redheads or casually hang around with them, but never, ever enter in to a long term, committed relationship with one. There's a reason god felt compelled to distinguish them from the rest of the population. Red means danger. He was warning us.
Along those lines, "Poker? I don't even know her!"

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
You could consider roommates, too. You can often end up with more location options in a given price range if you're willing to live with roommates.

That said, Edgewater near Granville Ave. is just south of Rogers Park, near a beach, right along the Red Line, near Loyola, and I have a friend living in a decent studio and paying under $600. 6214 N Winthrop.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

omg guys yall don't know how helpful this is...except poker player dude. bro i have no idea what you talking about but maybe i'll give a red head a shot one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago