Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,320 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 & single and have lived in the northwest suburbs all my life and looking to move into the city for lifestyle reasons. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either Bucktown/Wicker Park up to Wrigleyville, and anywhere in between. I went to check out a couple places that were a little bit closer to Humboldt Park and wasn't too comfortable with the area, but don't really know which areas are considered "safe" (I checked out apartments with a couple different apartment placing companies and of course, every apartment was in a safe neighborhood according to them, but after researching found out that wasn't really the case).

I'm trying to keep it below $800 so I've already resigned myself to the fact I'll be looking for roommates for a 2 or 3 bedroom place unless I want to live in a crappy area. I'd like to be close to the action, but something further away but close to the El so I can jump on to get there also works.

It's impossible to look for places on Craigslist sometimes, because these people list places as Bucktown and they really are more like Humboldt Park ("west bucktown" is a common one).

Does anyone have any specific places I should be looking based on these criteria, and not just neighborhoods but specific blocks/areas within the neighborhoods?

My other concern is that I'll be working in Lombard, and although I haven't experienced the traffic on 290 first-hand, if it's anything like the recently finished construction on 294/94, what's a realistic commute time to Lombard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattred View Post
I'm 23 & single and have lived in the northwest suburbs all my life and looking to move into the city for lifestyle reasons. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either Bucktown/Wicker Park up to Wrigleyville, and anywhere in between. I went to check out a couple places that were a little bit closer to Humboldt Park and wasn't too comfortable with the area, but don't really know which areas are considered "safe" (I checked out apartments with a couple different apartment placing companies and of course, every apartment was in a safe neighborhood according to them, but after researching found out that wasn't really the case).

I'm trying to keep it below $800 so I've already resigned myself to the fact I'll be looking for roommates for a 2 or 3 bedroom place unless I want to live in a crappy area. I'd like to be close to the action, but something further away but close to the El so I can jump on to get there also works.

It's impossible to look for places on Craigslist sometimes, because these people list places as Bucktown and they really are more like Humboldt Park ("west bucktown" is a common one).

Does anyone have any specific places I should be looking based on these criteria, and not just neighborhoods but specific blocks/areas within the neighborhoods?

My other concern is that I'll be working in Lombard, and although I haven't experienced the traffic on 290 first-hand, if it's anything like the recently finished construction on 294/94, what's a realistic commute time to Lombard?
It's about 1hr 20 min to Lombard. If you want Wicker Park/Bucktown, look east of Damen, west of the river. Wrigleyville is a small part of Lakeview, so you should just search for Lakeview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: